share rss forum feed

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to koitsu

Re: GoogleUpdate.exe

GoogleUpdate.exe also has an options panel where you have to click to display the normally obscured Advanced Options, where one of them is "Upload non-personal aggregate data" clicked by default. At least when I updated GoogleEarth.

Too bad there's nothing that says *what* is being uploaded. If they just wanted to know what someone is searching for, why do they need my computer to tell them? Can't they aggregate their data at their server?

Internet is making me think more "Luddite" and starting to trust Google less and less.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The Updater also defaults to automatically update installed software, so you might want to change that option in the Advanced panel to either "notify" of updates or to check manually only and not get any notification. Most applications have a "check for updates" or the like in the Help panel, so there's really no need for automatic updates. For a browser, however, automatic updates might make sense from a security standpoint, so you get an update whenever there is a security issue discovered.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

Internet is making me think more "Luddite" and starting to trust Google less and less.
Google's business model is data mining, they had almost no ads, and they offer stuff for free. I doubt they subsidize free services with adwords money.