share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Who is funding Odlyzko

»Deconstructing The Exaflood Myth

were told in countless editorials like this 2007 one from an AT&T-backed think tanker that hinted the end of the Internet was perilously close
The above is listed as a reason to be suspect of the AT&T backed study.

Well, to be fair, let's look at who is backing the "everything is fine" study:
»www.dtc.umn.edu/mints/people.html
MINTS projects is supported by the Digital Technology Center and the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute, and the ADC Chair held by Andrew Odlyzko, which comes from an endowment donated by the ADC Foundation.
Which points to:
»www.dtc.umn.edu/industrial/affil···st.shtml
ADC
IBM
LSI Logic
3M
Seagate
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
Unisys
Companies that want to continue selling products based on the premise that the internet is just fine and dandy and that no problems are on the horizon.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

so your point is what?

the guy is fudging statistics and internet traffic data because he's in the tank with outside interests?

that he's a crooked researcher/academic that is either getting paid under the table or hopes for future remuneration from grateful hardware companies?

as is frequently pointed out but equally frequently ignored, facts have a known liberal bias.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by nasadude:

so your point is what?

the guy is fudging statistics and internet traffic data because he's in the tank with outside interests?

that he's a crooked researcher/academic that is either getting paid under the table or hopes for future remuneration from grateful hardware companies?

as is frequently pointed out but equally frequently ignored, facts have a known liberal bias.
Just pointing out that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

If a study backed by AT&T money is AUTOMATICALLY suspect and distrusted, then why should I not suspect a study funded by companies that benefit from the idea that the internet has no bandwidth problems.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

I know this will come as a completely foreign concept, but instead of attacking the messenger(s), why not try attacking his data and their conclusions? Perhaps, for all your corporate tubthumping, you have data in hand that might show errors in these reports?

And how, in dog's name, do you come to the conclusion that these companies might profit from debunking the exaflood argument?

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Just pointing out that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

If a study backed by AT&T money is AUTOMATICALLY suspect and distrusted, then why should I not suspect a study funded by companies that benefit from the idea that the internet has no bandwidth problems.
I knew you were gandering the goose and all that, but I repeat, facts have a known liberal bias.

the reason ATT is automatically suspect is:

a) they specifically fund astroturf "think tanks" to churn out "studies", op-ed/opinion pieces and other stuff to support industry positions,

b) it has been shown that many past ATT funded studies and articles have been, to put it kindly, pieces of trash

why not do as TScheisskopf suggests and argue on the facts? I can guess why, but I leave that for the reader to figure out.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

MINTS projects is supported by the Digital Technology Center and the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute, and the ADC Chair held by Andrew Odlyzko, which comes from an endowment donated by the ADC Foundation.
Which points to:
»www.dtc.umn.edu/industrial/affil···st.shtml
ADC
IBM
LSI Logic
3M
Seagate
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
Unisys
Companies that want to continue selling products based on the premise that the internet is just fine and dandy and that no problems are on the horizon.
Your argument makes absolutely no sense to me.

How do you sell products based on the premise of what we have now is just fine? You sell products because your customer has a problem that your product solves.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

heyguy

join:2008-09-03
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to FFH

Hm, I'd trust Odlyzko, before I trust the cable/phone industry in the US. They've been asking for subsidies, tax breaks and surcharges for years, to supposedly build the best network in the world. It was supposed to be here in the early 2000s, then in 2005.

Instead, now we are told they have to cap our usage, or the whole thing will grind to a holt.

I've been a life-long free-market Republican, but these current religious/hypocritical/protectionist trolls, have made a mockery of the free market and the party. And while spending like there is no tomorrow, they have ensured that the US network is stuck in the 1990s, and beholden to a handful of technologically-challenged, bean-counting, government handout-loving cartels.

Local loop competition through unbundling? Not while the "free-market" Bushies are in office. I guess we should hand our money, pray for faster internet to an "intelligent designer" and practice abstinence.

Read and weep: »www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co···_pf.html

Phew, got it off my chest....

NetAdmin1
CCNA

join:2008-05-22
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

ADC
IBM
LSI Logic
3M
Seagate
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
Unisys
Please explain: how do companies like Sun, Symantec, Unisys and the others sell products based on the theory that the internet is just functioning just fine?

Sorry, I deal with some of those companies quite regularly and based on those interactions, your criticism is a major stretch. For example, Symantec can't sell products if the internet is just fine since they sell products like IDS appliances, anti-spam firewalls and anti-virus products among others. IBM sells a number of security and DoS mitigation products. ADC is a hardware vendor and the reality is that a bandwidth shortage would boost their sales. LSI makes ASICs for routers and switches, and other products, that would sell more if there was a shortage of capacity too.
--
---
Eleven years of carrying The Clue Bat...

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:2
reply to TScheisskopf

Who'd of thought TKJ had so many crickets under his personal control.

NV
--
Abortion: A Republican Plot to Thin the Liberal Herd.

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

"Roll 'em Roll'em Roll 'em, get them crickets rollin'..."