share rss forum feed

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NOZIREV

Re: price of bandwidth is going up

if inflation is the culprit, why hasn't my comcast broadband connection gone up in price? comcast hasn't changed broadband pricing in 3-4 years (except to add higher cost, higher speed tiers).

are you telling me they are eating the cost of inflation because of competition? because they're nice? because of ...?

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

said by nasadude:

if inflation is the culprit, why hasn't my comcast broadband connection gone up in price? comcast hasn't changed broadband pricing in 3-4 years (except to add higher cost, higher speed tiers).

are you telling me they are eating the cost of inflation because of competition? because they're nice? because of ...?
This statement is absolutely misleading. While my Comcast HSI price has remained the same, Comcast makes up the difference by raising rates on their other services. My TV service will be increasing for the 6th time in 4 years. This time it will be a $5 increase in the package I subscribe to, which is their most feature-rich tier that includes every movie channel and their digital service. Before that it was the increased price in the HD service, the DVR boxes, the "sports tier", and on and on. Comcast prices for stand-alone HSI is ridiculously high at $67.95 as opposed to my current $52.95 with their TV service. No reason for them to raise the prices of their stand-alone service as they are making a fortune at that price. Obviously most Comcast customers are also paying for TV and/or phone service or surely they would have increased the price of their internet service as well.

And, I seem to recall that the lower speed HSI tiers for stand-alone service saw a price increase a few years ago. So Comcast IS increasing their prices, it is just misleading to suggest that their HSI service has not changed prices, when the truth is that Comcast can raise prices elsewhere and this effectively causes a price increase for 95% or more of their customers, no matter how they shift the costs around for marketing purposes. Obviously it is much easier to hide increased prices in the TV service, and just about all cable companies make it difficult to find the exact cost of TV service, while they flash around internet costs all over their site and in advertising.

Don't even get me started on the mysterious fees and cost-defraying BS that I see each month on my bill.

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

please note I said "broadband pricing"; I agree with you 100% on the tv side of things but I purposely stayed away from that because I didn't want to start ranting.

the absolute worst thing (in my mind) comcast has done on the broadband side of things is their $15 "penalty" for not bundling at least one other product (as you pointed out).

I originally started out with @home cable broadband. It was $45/mo and 9M down and about 1M up. When Comcast swooped in and bought out @home, the price stayed the same but speeds dropped significantly, to something like 3M/256k. Then, after some months at this price, I all of a sudden get notice that I either buy their basic cable tv service ($15/mo) or the price of broadband would be raised to $60/mo. I said FU and paid the extra money, but have hated them ever since.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

1 edit

said by nasadude:

please note I said "broadband pricing"; I agree with you 100% on the tv side of things but I purposely stayed away from that because I didn't want to start ranting.
If you read my post you would see that I explained my disagreement with your "broadband pricing" statement. I thought my comment was fairly explicit with regards to the disingenuous nature of Comcast's supposedly stagnant HSI pricing.

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
reply to jmn1207

Your post simply ignores so many of the things that Comcast gives us at no cost. I was with adelphia a year and a half ago getting 4Mb..today..i'm at 30Mb with powerboost.
Price difference? Zero.

How about all the extra channels..more hd content we're all getting? Price increase? Zero.

Comcast is a company like virtually every other one. In it to make money. They have seen their costs rise along with inflation like every other one as well. Programming costs..going up. How about the big ten network we get now? price increase..zero. How about gas prices to fuel their fleet of what must be thousands of vehicles? Seen a price increase for that since gas hit 4 bucks a gallon? Not me.

No one likes to see prices go up..but I think they are responsible about it and not out of line by any means when you consider all these points. And, it's not out of line at all when you consider you can get virtually everything they have for 4 or 5 bucks a day. Unlimited phone..long distance..dvr..hsi..tv..all the premiums. Five bucks a day.
What else does 5 bucks buy you each day? A gallon of milk maybe? Cup of coffee and a donut perhaps? This service is not expensive when you look at it that way in relation to what we all spend our money on each day.

Anyways..as i've posted before..I support caps and even metered billing. I really think it's come down to that with the way that some people abuse this network and service.
Comcast..nor their customers..are here to support the excessive usage of some people to the tune of 400 and 500 gigs a month. That is unreasonable to expect from a one price..residential service. And, it's time they pay the piper and not expect everyone else to subsidize that.
95% of people don't do it..and won't be affected. The other 5% may be..and that's something they'll have to deal with.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

ceege111

@pacbell.net
reply to nasadude

So if you don't like the price of the TV service downgrade it to "basic cable" which is local channels and a couple more like discovery. Here in SF it's $11.50/month which I think is absurdly low because it's mandated as an "essential service" by the FCC. Then get netflix.

bandwidthhog1

join:2002-07-18
Irwin, PA
reply to nasadude

Here's a question for you.

Comcast TV service is supplied over the same cable network as their broadband service. If Broadband needs to be rationed (aka Comcast's new 250 GB cap) why shouldn't the TV service be rationed as well? I can have all 4 of my TV's turned on and tuned to separate channels 24/7, 30 days a month and not hear a peep form the Comcast bandwidth Nazis. Trying doing some similar with their internet service and I risk having my broadband service terminated.

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Not that I am for caps:

You are talking apples and oranges. With the TV you can have essentially an infinite number of TVs watching the same channel(or different channels) without changing the load(barring PPV) on the system (it is broadcast). But with internet each packet sent or received generates a certain amount of load. Assuming 100 users are getting the same file from the same source you will generate 100 times more load than one person getting the file (it is not broadcast).

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
reply to Rick

I would be happier if Comcast simply polished the current product rather than add more fluff. I don't need more HD channels, I just need the ones I do have to all look like ESPN for Monday Night Football or HBO on Sundays. They blame the carrier, the carrier blames the distributor, and the consumer is stuck with over-compressed sad looking medium definition bunk, at best. I would rather have stable 8MB speeds with reliable latency than a potential 16MB up to 24MB with hit or miss service. There simply is no real competition when it comes to service cost. If there is ANY competition, it is mostly with the fluff that can be added or the bundled savings offered for long-term commitments.

It's like a gas station charging $10/gallon but throwing in a nice .25 cent stuffed animal for my participation.

Thanks, but no thanks.

bandwidthhog1

join:2002-07-18
Irwin, PA
reply to Lazlow

Fair enough, but if your argument is correct, then all the arguments justifying the chageover from pure analog the home to digital to the node as a means to free up bandwidth are then bogus are they not?

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Again comparing apples and oranges:

The bandwidth we are talking about in this(TV) case is frequency. Think of an analog signal like a bell curve (big rounded hump). Now think of digital signals like spikes(they are still bell curve shaped just much, much, narrower). You can fit multiple digital signals in the same width (frequency range) that a single analog channel occupies.

When we talk about bandwidth on the HSI side we are generally talking about the percent of the channel (yes HSI has channels too) that is being used. Generally each HSI channel can handle 38mb downstream (less for upstream).