share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Internet utilization down internationally; BUT NOT in the US

»Deconstructing The Exaflood Myth

Between 2007 and 2008, average traffic utilization levels decreased from 31 percent to 29 percent while peak utilization fell from 44 percent to 43 percent.
The above is for international traffic utilization of the internet.

But checking the Telegeography news site, that is NOT TRUE for the US backbone.

»www.telegeography.com/cu/article···ail=html
While utilisation on international links to Europe and Asia fell in 2008, they rose in the US & Canada and Latin American where traffic growth outpaced the deployment of new internet bandwidth.

--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

TScheisskopf
World News Trust

join:2005-02-13
Belvidere, NJ

said by FFH:

»Deconstructing The Exaflood Myth
Between 2007 and 2008, average traffic utilization levels decreased from 31 percent to 29 percent while peak utilization fell from 44 percent to 43 percent.
The above is for international traffic utilization of the internet.

But checking the Telegeography news site, that is NOT TRUE for the US backbone.

»www.telegeography.com/cu/article···ail=html
While utilisation on international links to Europe and Asia fell in 2008, they rose in the US & Canada and Latin American where traffic growth outpaced the deployment of new internet bandwidth.
Let's see the headline:

"Internet traffic is growing fast — but capacity is keeping pace"

Am I the only one noticing the cognitive dissonance between the headline and the above assertions?

And as regards the deployment of new bandwidth, can there possibly be some connection between this present attempt to jam a new pricing model down the throats of customers and the slowdown in deployment of new BB connections, thus resulting in "and just add water" data? Oh, heaven forfend.

And in the case of the cablecos, could some of this be the result of not wanting to split nodes? Case in point: In speaking to a Comcast Bucket Barbarian the other day, he was telling me about a recent node split they finally HAD to do: there was over 900 connections on the loop. He said that there were far worse loops out there, but management was completely disinterested in addressing them, until they became an issue that could go before the BPU.

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

My company buys circuits globally - I'll tell you right now first hand bandwidth is cheaper now that it's ever been. This is on the business side of the equation, on the residential side of things...

I can only say, they did not predict nor have any sort of 'plan' for future network growth. Sure it's expensive to maintain/manage/upgrade a ISP type network - But money shouldnt be an issue - with all the growth that's been booming since broadband was first introduced in the late 90s.

I seriously think, this is just another way to charge more, for piss-poor management of a company's funds.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

said by pizz:Sure it's expensive to maintain/manage/upgrade a ISP type network - But money shouldnt be an issue - with all the growth that's been booming since broadband was first introduced in the late 90s.

I seriously think, this is just another way to charge more, for piss-poor management of a company's funds.
[/BQUOTE :

The boom you speak of is over. Recent data suggests that new broadband customer growth is nearly over. That means that the CEOs are seeing the revenue line of the graphs flatten out. Unfortunately for the MBAs creating those graphs, Internet usage (and therefore costs) continues to grow. That's what is making the beancounters nervous.