Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

bleh

I personally will not be using chrome. The TOS are broad and giving someone exclusive royalty free acess to your intelectual property is just a bit too much to swallow...i mean even Microsoft doesn't go that far...

I put IE Beta 2 on here yesterday, and I must say. Microsoft has got a clear Winner!

This is the best IE release since 4.0! absolutly superb

My W3C valid web site renders "perfectly" using Ie8 standards mode view, no longer do i have to work around IE..the same standards pages reder correctly.

IE8 alos loads pages very fast.

Ie8 also has a much improved garbage collector and feels even more snappy than Firefox 3 or Safair...it uses much less memory over time. i have been on youtube, and other java/flash heavy sites since "yesterday" probably aboput 500 page views and ie8 beta 2 is only using about 55-65 MB of ram...thats going to be very tough for folks to beat.

Once this thing goes final...i think it is going to be a major winner..not to mention the new private browsing features, web slices, and activies and new and improved context menus just exteand IE's functionality.

I of course made an image of my drive before installing ie8 and when it goes final i will revert to the back up and install fresh...but i must say...Google chrome which i tried has a "very long way" to go to catch up with Ie8

I'd say IE8 and firefox 3 are on equal ground as the top 2 browsers, with Opera following a close 3rd...i just don't see Google comparing

Besides, why did google renew their agreement with Mozilla and then do this? is Chome using Gecko? or Webkit? what engine is it using? i assume its not using Trident(IE's engine) so what exactly is it using? i was just curious if anyoine knew

booticon
join:2007-07-31
East Lyme, CT

booticon

Chrome is using WebKit.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Woody79_00

MVM

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

I personally will not be using chrome. The TOS are broad and giving someone exclusive royalty free acess to your intelectual property is just a bit too much to swallow...i mean even Microsoft doesn't go that far...
I agree, this is actually my #1 "Show-stopper" -- who has ever heard of a web browser with a TOS, anyway?

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium Member
join:2001-07-31
Boynton Beach, FL

mikes60

Premium Member

Re: AP Review

Interesting review including comparisons to Firefox and IE:

»apnews.myway.com//articl ··· G80.html

antwanp
Lovably Pompous
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Cedar Hill, TX

antwanp to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords

Re: bleh

Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera Browser... They all have ToS agreements in their licenses. If you're so concerned about IP (you can't be a be intellectual property producer if you're using your browser for everything), then don't use an Internet browser for essential work. If you need to blog, there's free native Mac and Windows software, if you need to FTP, the same. The list goes on and on. The firm I work for has one of the largest IP portfolios in the nation, all of our work is done on custom software. The only thing web-browsers are used for are.... for WEB browsing.

The people who choose to use this, myself included, know that Google in mining data. If you ever used Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Desktop Search, and I'm sure even the new Google Android mobile solutions, you know this already. What makes Google different is that they use this data to better their products and services. I use Google because I feel it's a better search engine. I use GMail Domains for my custom domain e-mail (which works perfectly with my iPod touch, BlackBerry Pearl (work) and T-Mobile Shadow (Windows Mobile).

Honestly reading this site over the past 9 years or so, I have never run into as many privacy nerds! (Not everyone, just a select few). Get over the fact that the Internet is increasingly more and more personal. Make the net work for you!

-Antwan L.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

2 edits

funchords

MVM

said by antwanp:

Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera Browser... They all have ToS agreements in their licenses.
No, they don't.
said by antwanp:

If you're so concerned about IP (you can't be a be intellectual property producer if you're using your browser for everything),
That's probably news to millions of bloggers, reviewers, and writers everywhere!
said by antwanp:

then don't use an Internet browser for essential work.
I can see the Jerry Seinfeld ad now, "Microsoft Internet Explorer! For everything except for essential work!"
said by antwanp:

If you need to blog, there's free native Mac and Windows software, if you need to FTP, the same. The list goes on and on. The firm I work for has one of the largest IP portfolios in the nation, all of our work is done on custom software. The only thing web-browsers are used for are.... for WEB browsing.
Hardly.
said by antwanp:

I use Google because I feel it's a better search engine. I use GMail Domains for my custom domain e-mail (which works perfectly with my iPod touch, BlackBerry Pearl (work) and T-Mobile Shadow (Windows Mobile).
I do too, for similar reasons.
said by antwanp:

Honestly reading this site over the past 9 years or so, I have never run into as many privacy nerds! (Not everyone, just a select few). Get over the fact that the Internet is increasingly more and more personal. Make the net work for you!
Not that there is anything wrong with privacy nerds -- they do God's work in holding back companies that would run roughshod over all of us if it wasn't for them. Privacy nerds give us choices.

I'm a heavy Google user, and I've actually unblocked their ads. They are, so far, a trustworthy partner in my use of the Internet. But even so, I always had some semblance of control over what what data they saw and what they did with it.

The Google Chrome "TOS" gave me pause because, as I said, it's unusual to have a TOS for a web browser or a piece of software. I'd simply never heard of such a thing unless it was a client to a very specific service (not the entire web). Secondly, after reading it, it felt like I may not have the same level of control over my privacy if I chose to use it.

Google has, today, very quickly answered that concern in a positive way, which is more consistent to the other Google practices I've seen.

It just wasn't an appropriate legal vehicle for a browser.

TomClancy
Freedom Isn't Free
join:2003-04-23

TomClancy

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

It may be mentioned farther down this thread, but Google has reworded that portion of the EULA after major, umm...displeasure...shown by the general public. It's now more acceptable to most folks.