uniqs
share rss forum feed

bandwidthhog1

join:2002-07-18
Irwin, PA
reply to nasadude

Re: price of bandwidth is going up

Here's a question for you.

Comcast TV service is supplied over the same cable network as their broadband service. If Broadband needs to be rationed (aka Comcast's new 250 GB cap) why shouldn't the TV service be rationed as well? I can have all 4 of my TV's turned on and tuned to separate channels 24/7, 30 days a month and not hear a peep form the Comcast bandwidth Nazis. Trying doing some similar with their internet service and I risk having my broadband service terminated.

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Not that I am for caps:

You are talking apples and oranges. With the TV you can have essentially an infinite number of TVs watching the same channel(or different channels) without changing the load(barring PPV) on the system (it is broadcast). But with internet each packet sent or received generates a certain amount of load. Assuming 100 users are getting the same file from the same source you will generate 100 times more load than one person getting the file (it is not broadcast).

bandwidthhog1

join:2002-07-18
Irwin, PA

Fair enough, but if your argument is correct, then all the arguments justifying the chageover from pure analog the home to digital to the node as a means to free up bandwidth are then bogus are they not?

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Again comparing apples and oranges:

The bandwidth we are talking about in this(TV) case is frequency. Think of an analog signal like a bell curve (big rounded hump). Now think of digital signals like spikes(they are still bell curve shaped just much, much, narrower). You can fit multiple digital signals in the same width (frequency range) that a single analog channel occupies.

When we talk about bandwidth on the HSI side we are generally talking about the percent of the channel (yes HSI has channels too) that is being used. Generally each HSI channel can handle 38mb downstream (less for upstream).