All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

android6
@bellsouth.net

android6

Anon

Does anyone use newsgroups / usenet with Knology?

I just got knology and was looking for some information on how good their newsgroup server is, also how many connections it allows and if there is a speed cap. Thanks

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

They use Usenetserver to provide their usenet service. (www.usenetserver.com)

There is a 6 connection limit. I find it best to set four or five as a max. I dedicate one as a header account and the other 3-4 for downloads. Since there is no cap, you can max out just one connection. There is no limit as far as bandwidth, whatever you can do. I can hit 5.7Mbps at times on a basic 6Mbps account. It does drop as low as 2.4Mbps at times however.

They seem to limit it to 30 days (or so) of retention even though UNS goes back to at least 100 or more.

Completion is very good as well. Also, they do not filter any groups, whatever UNS has you can get thru Knology.

android6
@bellsouth.net

android6 to android6

Anon

to android6
ok, thanks for the info!

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy to android6

to android6
What where really on is ispnews.usenetserver.com which is what news.knology.net resolves to. From what I can tell it's a separate server farm that UNS operates just for isp contracts.

The issue I have with the server is the time outs when downloading headers. But thats what nzb's where made for.

bep
@bellsouth.net

bep to android6

Anon

to android6
OP here,

I just decided to see where news.graceba.net (the server Knology told me to use, news.knology.net wont work for me) and it resolves to news.isp.giganews.net

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

That's probably because they just purchased Graceba there in Dothan and are still under contract with Giganews. Once their Graceba contract is up with Giganews, I'm sure it will change over to USN.

android6
@domain.tld

android6 to android6

Anon

to android6
ok thanks for all the info guys. I kinda hope the contract still has a while, I like the giganews service