AC FAIL
Click for full size
BOF
Click for full size
AC-Trifecta
Click for full size
Click for full size
Oh, Hai!

This is the penthouse. You are looking at the UPS room.

"Why am I getting a call from the temp sensors saying that zone 1 is 85 degrees?"

AC FAIL!

Uh-oh....it's got another 2 minutes before I go into bypass and shut the thing down to prevent issues.....

BOF (Big Ol' Fan) to the rescue!

Oh Noes!!!...it's still staying steady after around an hour, BOF isn't helping!

AC-Trifecta to the rescue! Yes...3 AC units....1 through window (now wall ~6.5kbtu), 1 through wall (~12k BTU), and one portable AC (~10kbtu). Unfortunately, 50+ years ago when this building was built - 20a to the whole penthouse was considered acceptable (I guess....). Luckily there is nothing else on the circuit....well now there's two AC's. The portable actually goes outside the wall, to a 10ga cable, down to the next floor, and has it's own 20a dedicated circuit.

85 down to 68 overnight....it stays at around 72 during the day.

The AC guys are here fixing the old unit, bad compressor. The through wall unit will stay in here as a backup. The Window/Temp will go back somewhere.

I'm going to strap the BOF to my back and get a really long extension cord. I think I can fly with that thing....

Last two shots are the new AC for the server room (one of 3) and last shot is the actual UPS - Mitsubishi.

Camera phone, sorry about crappy pix.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed

Premium Member

This is when people need to question "How much is it worth for downtime?" and then compare that with "How much is a redundant cooling system worth?" and then add in the "How much is our wasted time worth spent jamming A/C units together to keep the place from blowing up?" to compliment the mix.

I bet some surprising results will come out of that combo

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

While I agree, one word: Government

I've actually verified that the UPS will go into thermal mode and go into bypass mode and not drop the load....but that's one of those things I didn't want to find out the hard way, nor put unneeded stress on a brand new (6 mo) UPS.

The room's AC is being fixed, and then keep one of the wall units...the portable is actually for emergencies like this.
geekspeed
join:2004-11-19
Riverside, CA

geekspeed to fcisler

to fcisler
Ive found it interesting that BOFs are still around...we have one in our data-centre...Id hoped it was just legacy trash -- as in my exp. those things (if anything) just make the room hotter.
bilbusb
join:2003-04-10
Tucker, GA

bilbusb to fcisler

to fcisler
I have that same fan, but mine is red. That fan is for our emergincy plan!