spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Locked Out
@comcast.net

Locked Out

Anon

Locked Cable Box on Townhome

I am trying to switch cable/internet providers because I can no longer afford Comcast and have ongoing service issues. Anyway, I live in a 4 unit townhome. I own the unit I live in and my cable line to my home is locked in a box on the side of the townhome. According to the install rep., the only way to switch the service is to have Comcast unlock the box or have them remove my cable line from the box. They looked into other install options but they would not work for one reason or another. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you run into this issue in the past? You probably guessed but Comcast is not providing any help on the issue. They claim they own the cable lines and the box...seems odd since these townhomes are individually owned and not rental units. If it was a house, they would not be able to lock the box or refuse to unlock at the customers request. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
rob316
join:2005-10-17
Carteret, NJ

rob316

If it's on your property then break the lock open, screw Comcrap those commies they think they own everything.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Locked Out

MVM

to Locked Out
That sounds like the demarc too far out that serves multiple homes. The line that comes out of that box to feed your unit, doesn't it connect to some splitters in a closet or utility room of some sort? They should be able to disconnect Comcast's line there, and connect their own newly run cable.

Surprised the other provider doesn't have the star key to get the box open. Just look for the next connection point between that locked box and where your outlets connect to. Run a line to there.

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to Locked Out

to Locked Out
You need to determine whether you own that cable now or not. If it was installed by the builder at the original owner's expense, then it is indeed yours. If Comcast installed it with cooperation from the builder or later at their expense, then they do not have to give you access to it. If it is yours, then I'd give them the ultimatum of either sending a tech out to remove it, or the box will be opened accordingly. Their technician most likely placed the connection into that box because it is a "tap" where they feed your service from. Basically, it all comes down to who paid to have it installed initially. For security of all effected subscribers, they do have a right to protect their equipment with lock and key.

Locked Out
@comcast.net

Locked Out

Anon

I'm pretty sure Comcast may have layed the lines in conjunction with the builder or that is what they are claiming. Even so, why isn't the cable line from the tap into my home considered my property? Shouldn't I be able to request them to remove my cable line from the box? Thanks

bUU
join:2007-05-10
Kissimmee, FL

bUU

Because that is the arrangement made with the owner of your property at the time (i.e., your builder).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Locked Out

Premium Member

to Locked Out
if comcast layed the line its theirs. your line is yours after it gets to your property. comcast alsoo owns the box. its considered a mdu.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Townhomes with adjacent walls are always considered MDU's. Check your deed, you either have an easement or right of way clause within it. If not, you probably have a clause about an association of some kind and your deed is subject to it's governance. The association can then govern that 8inch by 10inch space on that wall. In the end, you probably don't own that space. With that said... who are these "installers" in your home who don't know that? Who don't know how to deal with it? Are you switching to satellite? Cut the line outside of the box, put a cap and terminator on the wire coming out of the box and plug your dish into the line feeding into your home. (it's not that simple, I know... but you don't need to get into that box).

akoligian
@qwest.net

akoligian to Locked Out

Anon

to Locked Out
I am having the EXACT same problem!! I have a quick deed though, does that make a difference? Yes, I have an association and am trying to switch to satellite. I have the the corner, facing the street townhome, and am being told I cant have a cable wire exposed, even though almost every other unit does, but they are not facing the street where everyone can see the wire. Should I go to the association?

bUU
join:2007-05-10
Kissimmee, FL

bUU

You could be in for a bit of a fight, since the rule they're promoting can be argued to be valid (even though it almost surely isn't). As with anything, if you're not willing to do some work (or pay some money for someone else to) then you may not be able to secure for yourself the rights you actually have.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to akoligian

Premium Member

to akoligian
In a condo/town home MDU associations, you own what's on the INSIDE (with exception to the deed and rules you are bound by).. you do not own anything outside your wall.

As for getting your satellite up, while you have every legal right to have one, your association still can set rules in which you must live by in order to get satellite service in to your home. One of those rules may be a limited amount of cable on the outside, specific rules on installing cables on the outside which could be required inside molding, and they can even specify the exact molding or require that you get approval on the molding.. and, even require only certain facing outside walls for any installation.

While this is a standard set of guidelines, many of them are this way. I've seen many associations where there is a common dish installed that HOA members must tap into

As for the boxes and cables installed by comcast, or the cable system at the time, I can all but guarantee you that you have no access, at the time, to them.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Locked Out

Premium Member

to Locked Out
so i guess you want to install the dish on your neighbors unit. im glad your not my neighbor.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to Locked Out

to Locked Out
Call your HOA, they should be responsible for resolving these issues, if its on "common ground" its there responsibility. The next step would be call your town administrator, to find out how to get it resolved. They may refer to a cable advisory board. The present situation prevents you from changing providers at will, which is against the law.
brianl703
join:2004-02-26
Nokesville, VA

brianl703 to Locked Out

to Locked Out
Do you own the land in front and back of your townhouse? Is the box attached to the front or back of your townhouse?

If the answers to both of these questions is yes, then chances are that your townhouse is like my townhouse and not considered an MDU. If each townhouse in your row has their own box then it's definitely not considered an MDU.

EEZY side
@lstn.net

EEZY side to Locked Out

Anon

to Locked Out
Easy just run a new line, it can be tucked under the siding along the top/bottom, or under the soffit. Otherwise find where the line leaves your house to go to the comcast box and cut/splice in the satellite connection