uniqs

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

And this is good how?

$150,000 dollar fine and who is going to pay? We, the customers.

When will the government realize that these fines to large companies like Comcast only hurt the customer, not them. They pass the buck to us.

I'm sure the AG is very proud.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

$150 grand spread out among 14.4 million customers? Yeah, that 1.04 cents is really going to hurt.

This is not even a drop in the bucket. It is a droplet of mist floating out of the executive cafeteria espresso machine.

But to make you feel better, let's just stop enforcement of all consumer protection laws. That way everything will be cheaper, right?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by RadioDoc:

$150 grand spread out among 14.4 million customers? Yeah, that 1.04 cents is really going to hurt.

This is not even a drop in the bucket. It is a droplet of mist floating out of the executive cafeteria espresso machine.

But to make you feel better, let's just stop enforcement of all consumer protection laws. That way everything will be cheaper, right?
They don't look at it as $150k. They look at it as an opportunity to raise rates, across the board, regardless of the fine.

Comcast will never eat the bill. Ever.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Since you're from Florida, you'll pay no matter what.

Either with your tax dollars (to cover the suit), or with your Comcast subscription (which covers the cost of the suit), or by allowing your rights to be trampled.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

$150,000 dollar fine and who is going to pay? We, the customers.

When will the government realize that these fines to large companies like Comcast only hurt the customer, not them. They pass the buck to us.

I'm sure the AG is very proud.
Good point, but it does make things more challenging, if only by a tiny bit in this particular case. In a broader sense, all of the money that goes to large companies is actually the customers. All of their taxes, if you want to technically call them taxes, is really just a tax on the customer. So when taxes are raised for corporations, think of it as an increased tax on the regular joe customer.

The fine hurts public image, and it would be in the best interest of any company to avoid being publicly ridiculed in an official capacity.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert to JTRockville

Premium Member

to JTRockville
said by JTRockville:

Since you're from Florida, you'll pay no matter what.

Either with your tax dollars (to cover the suit), or with your Comcast subscription (which covers the cost of the suit), or by allowing your rights to be trampled.
What rights were trampled?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

The right to know what you're paying for when you subscribed to Comcast's service.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by JTRockville:

The right to know what you're paying for when you subscribed to Comcast's service.
Oh ok. I knew what I was paying for. And I've always received what I have been paying for.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

Apparently your state-mates feel diffently than you. I'm glad they took the lead.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by JTRockville:

Apparently your state-mates feel diffently than you. I'm glad they took the lead.
Gold star for them!

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:
said by JTRockville:

Oh ok. I knew what I was paying for. And I've always received what I have been paying for.
You didn't know about this "top 1,000 users" thing, did you?

I sell you a car, and tell you that it's worth as much as I'm asking because it'll go well over 200 miles per hour. And I've sold 14 million other cars on the same assurance.

You're happy until you find out that none of them go 200 miles per hour, and that I was running my competition out of business on that promise -- knowing all the while that only 1 in 10,000 cars comes back because there are few 200 MPH roadways.

I have been made rich based on my deceptive business practice. Whether or not you ever operated your car at 200 MPH, or wanted to, is beside the point. I have some of your money because you believed that it did.

In this case, we're not talking about $500,000 cars -- but the principle is the same.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by funchords:

said by Robert:
said by JTRockville:

You didn't know about this "top 1,000 users" thing, did you?

I sell you a car, and tell you that it's worth as much as I'm asking because it'll go well over 200 miles per hour. And I've sold 14 million other cars on the same assurance.

You're happy until you find out that none of them go 200 miles per hour, and that I was running my competition out of business on that promise -- knowing all the while that only 1 in 10,000 cars comes back because there are few 200 MPH roadways.

I have been made rich based on my deceptive business practice. Whether or not you ever operated your car at 200 MPH, or wanted to, is beside the point. I have some of your money because you believed that it did.

In this case, we're not talking about $500,000 cars -- but the principle is the same.
Like I've said, I have always received what I have been paying for.

The principle of the issue is that the government thinks that fines somehow hurts these companies. $150,000 to Comcast (who makes that in a day) is a joke. Fines are not the answer here because it only hurts the consumer, regardless.

I don't have a better solution to the problem, but giving them a fine and a "don't do that again" tap on their head doesn't hurt them.

I wish we'd all get away from the analogies though.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Analogies irritate me like fingernails scratching a chalkboard.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Robert

MVM

to Robert
Then, for your exceptional circumstance, the issue doesn't apply to you.
said by Robert:

The principle of the issue is that the government thinks that fines somehow hurts these companies. $150,000 to Comcast (who makes that in a day) is a joke. Fines are not the answer here because it only hurts the consumer, regardless.

I don't have a better solution to the problem, but giving them a fine and a "don't do that again" tap on their head doesn't hurt them.
Comcast chewed up someone's time in that office, and since Comcast's actions are the ones being corrected here, it's appropriate to reimburse the taxpayers -- some of which are not Comcast customers.
said by Robert:

I wish we'd all get away from the analogies though.
Analogies are helpful tools.