join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

2 edits

funchords to NOZIREV

MVM

to NOZIREV

Re: funny

No, it's a theoretical possibility.

If I have 2 Mbps upload service somewhere, I could send unsolicited 1500-byte IP packets all day and all night to an enemy's Comcast address and have them over their limit in about 10 days or so. Even though my enemy's router or firewall would drop those packets (or, even worse for my enemy, respond to them) he wouldn't be none the wiser in most cases. (And if you've pissed off someone enough that he'd do this to you, you probably had it coming. -nyuk nyuk-!)

That said, Comcast's FAQ on help.comcast.net does talk about this, and the warning call you'd get is another layer of protection, performing such an attack has risks to the attackers own services, and if this does become a problem, there are other protections that Comcast and other ISPs can take.

It's theoretical, and likely to stay that way.
utahluge
join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

utahluge

said by funchords:

I could send unsolicited 1500-byte IP packets all day and all night to an enemy's Comcast address and have them over their limit in about 10 days or so. Even though my enemy's router or firewall would drop those packets (or, even worse for my enemy, respond to them)....
THANK YOU!!!!
Another person who realizes WHY capping is BAD. Anyone who wants to take you off-line...can do it quick.

On a side note, when this goes into place and they start kicking people off, it will be an easy way to get out of a contract. Just generate a TON of traffic and tada! ha Even better, so they can't say its all your fault, generate traffic from your workplace so you can say 'its not your fault' when they say you can't get out of the contract.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by utahluge:

THANK YOU!!!!
Another person who realizes WHY capping is BAD.
Capping is bad for far better reasons than that one!
said by utahluge:

Anyone who wants to take you off-line...can do it quick.
Now go back and read the paragraph after that.

If you mounted such an attack from work against yourself in order to get out of an early-termination-fee, you'd probably be getting an early termination from employment as well.

This is hardly new. Some members of Artists Against 419 have been using this technique to take fake bank sites offline for many years.
« How about this as stupidCaps? What caps? »
This is a sub-selection from funny