how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

egreene429

join:2008-09-04
Jonesboro, AR

SuddenLink Jonesboro AR - really odd problem

have a problem with my internet, and figured to turn to the experts in the forums (have had great results with other forums car,trucks phones) here. My "odd" problem is i am able to load some pages, but not others. Yahoo is my homepage, it won't come up. Did all the standard things, reset, reboot, clr offline content, etc. still not coming up. Tried msn.com- it came up. i try to goto SL web site SL.net - will not pull up, but SL.com will . Tried my laptop, same problem. Called cust serv, (which wasted 1/2 hr going back over what i did b4 i called em...)and another 1/2hr with pinging, changing settings. He tried to blame it on my pc (till i informed him of my laptop doing the same thing). Ended up telling me there was somethnig with the routing on there servers, and it should be up later last nite. Well i checked at lunch, still no change, My question (finally getting to it) is 1- Was he blowing smoke up my a** or is this a valid excuess and 2- is there ne thing else i could do ?
Thanks 4 any replys.

SteveP75904

join:2008-03-29
Lufkin, TX

Bypass your router and plug straight into the modem, reboot your equipment and see if it works. If it doesn't work, take your laptop to someone elses internet connection, see if it works there.
--
A government large enough to provide you with everything, is also large enough to take everything away.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to egreene429

Have you tried OpenDNS instead of the default DNS servers?

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR
reply to SteveP75904

I'm not using a router, just going right to the cable modem. Now a bit more to the saga.... SL came out, tried a different modem, did the same thing, ended up putting his laptop to it, it would pull up the pages i couldnt on mine. He was using firefox as his browser, (after he told me it had to be hardware) I downloaded firfox, tried it out, still same problem. I would agree w/ him about it being hwd, if it didnt do the same thing, and my laptop works fine when i take it to work.
I've about given up,

SteveP75904

join:2008-03-29
Lufkin, TX
reply to egreene429

Something doesn't add up, how is his laptop seeing the pages you can't with your laptop when plugged into the same modem?
--
A government large enough to provide you with everything, is also large enough to take everything away.

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV

sounds like DNS problems. Either there's a static DNS server in his NIC settings, or his hosts file is whacked.

Egreene429, if you would please open a command prompt (Start->Run. Type CMD) (Start->Search. Type CMD {for vista})

once the command prompt is open, type: ipconfig /flushdns that will clear out your dns cache. If there is still a problem, at the same command prompt type: ipconfig /all and tell us what your DNS Servers are listed as.

rcking75

join:2008-09-09
Austin, AR
reply to egreene429

I'm just outside Cabot, AR and use Suddenlink and wanted to see if you were using the standard DNS servers provided below.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

They were having problems about 3 months ago and I had my DNS entries manually entered. I noticed that my router (linksys) had new DNS addresses and I switched my manual entries and it resolved the problem. I had manual entries because I had set my IP address manually for my local network. Later that month I experienced something very similar to your issue. The DNS servers (that resolve the names to ip addresses) were timing out when I would make a request. Sometimes I could go to a site and other times not.

I was able to reproduce this by pinging the dns servers and capturing the output with the time outs. I sent them to the support email. I had called before about the issue and as usual they couldn't see the problem, but it magically resolved after I sent the email. You may want to verify your DNS servers and try to ping them to see if they time out.

The support guy's laptop probably had the DNS entries manually entered or you have the wrong entries and his laptop got the correct ones from the modem.

The post above instructing you to flush your dns entries is also a good idea. You may have corrupted entries in the cache.

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR
reply to egreene429

The flush didn't do the trick, and here is the info i get when using ipconfig/all :
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-80-ED-11
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 74.194.253.174
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 74.194.253.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.24.120.75
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.180.42.100
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:35:44
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:37:
06 PM

It will be tomorrow b4 i can get back w/ya'll, this is one of the pages i can't load (lol thats the way it goes)

SuddenlinkTX

join:2007-09-05
Tyler, TX
reply to egreene429

quote:
rcking75 in Cabot, AR wrote:

egreene429 in Jonesboro, AR wrote:

Just so you guys know, you're both right. rcking75 is in a formerly Cebridge area, so is still using the broadbandsupport.net DNS servers, and egreene429 is in a formerly Cox area, so is using the Suddenlink DNS servers.

egreene429, are you using the same firewall and/or antivirus software on all your PCs that are having the same problem? Since the Suddenlink tech was able to use the connection at your house fine on his laptop, it's not a routing issue from your house. I'd normally say that "can get to some sites but not others" is an issue with secure sites, but you mention you're not able to access yahoo.com, which is not a secure site, so that's not it. As a PC user, I'm curious about your issue...

Another question: Are you able to ping by name and/or by IP address the sites that you cannot reach through your browser?
Start > Run > cmd (or Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
Type "ping www.yahoo.com" and hit enter. You should see something like this:
H:\>ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.191.93.52] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.191.93.52: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=54
Reply from 209.191.93.52: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 209.191.93.52:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 4ms

H:\>

Do you get replies or request timed out?

nnaarrnn

Nitro, WV

not that i'd ever use yahoo for anything, but thats some pretty sweet latency to yahoo. You must be one or two hops to there.

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR
reply to SuddenlinkTX

I'll check @ lunch today and post my results. I use zonealarm as my firewall,& avg for virus on both, and i have uninstalled both on the pc at home to check if thats it. My work laptop has it, and here @ work i can get online w/o a prob.....lol Thanks 4 the input

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR

OK, here is what i got from pinging:
Pinging www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [69.147.76.15] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 69.147.76.15:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\I386>ping www.msn.com

Pinging us.port.msn.com.nsatc.net [65.54.152.235] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 207.46.38.166: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 65.54.152.235:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\I386>ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [207.46.19.190] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.19.190:

C:\I386>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [74.125.45.103] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.45.103: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=239
Reply from 74.125.45.103: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=239
Reply from 74.125.45.103: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=239
Reply from 74.125.45.103: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 74.125.45.103:
Minimum = 68ms, Maximum = 80ms, Average = 74ms

I also thought this was intresting :Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie>cd\

C:\>cd i386

C:\I386>ping www.suddenlink.com

Pinging suddenlink.com [208.180.43.9] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 208.180.43.9:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

C:\I386>ping www.suddenlink.net

Pinging www.suddenlink.net [208.180.42.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 208.180.42.11:

Hope this info can help someone help me lol!!!

SuddenlinkTX

join:2007-09-05
Tyler, TX

Just to let you know, www.msn.com and www.microsoft.com do not respond to ping requests. I can access them fine and can't ping them, and it's been like that as long as I can remember. I can ping both www.suddenlink.com and www.suddenlink.net and get replies. In case anyone (nnaarrnn) wants to drool over latency, here you go:

H:\>ping www.suddenlink.com

Pinging www.suddenlink.com [208.180.43.9] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.180.43.9: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 208.180.43.9:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

H:\>ping www.suddenlink.net

Pinging www.suddenlink.net [208.180.42.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.180.42.11: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 208.180.42.11:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

H:\>

egreene429, I'm not too sure what to tell you... You did rule out a router, right? And the Suddenlink tech's laptop was all good on your modem at your house. Did you ever take your machine to someone else's house or laptop to a free Wifi area or something and try there? Did you make sure your hosts file isn't FUBAR'd?

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR

SL TX,

My laptop works fine at work, and in the past it has worked at home too. My router has been out of the system for a cpl of months.
You said something about my host file, and i'm not sure how/what to check with that, any input on how to clear/repair/rebuild/ cry uncontrollably / or run down the street yelling "i'm a firetruck!!" lol

nnaarrnn

Nitro, WV

»www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=re···sts+file

egreene429

Jonesboro, AR
reply to egreene429

Whoo Hoo!!! came home from work and all the pages come up (not trying anything else) Guess there may have been an issue with SL somewhere. Thanks for all the input, i can file away all the great tips and tricks for future issues.

cjoker

@sbcglobal.net
reply to egreene429

I am a Tech here in Jonesboro, you aren't the only one with this issue. Suddenlink has a automated message about this problem on their phone support. And I do believe they said it was a DNS problem on their end.

anontech

@suddenlink.net

Thanks for staying with Suddenlink. The problem was actually an ip issue. It is resolved now. The reason the tech's laptop worked on your modem is because it had a different mac address which forced an ip change. This is why your computer worked with wi-fi etc. Different devices use different mac addresses which will pull different ip addresses. A usb connection would also have worked.

anonycabot

@cebridge.net
reply to egreene429

Well I've read through all of this and I can tell you Suddenlink techs that this is happening again RIGHT NOW in Cabot and has been for the past week. It happened a few months ago and then cleared up until this incident. It's driving me insane and I'm about to use my last nerver for Suddenlink service here since they bought Cebridge. It's terrible. Connection going down 3 or 4 times a month (and sometime that many times a week), DNS resolution issues. What is the deal?! I used to work for a Cable Internet company in Conway and though we had our problems back in the early days, it was never this bad. And Conway Corp was one of the first 5 companies in the nation to have Cable Internet. I was there in the beginning. That was around 1996 or 1997. This is 2008. I have all completely new coax runs with one run just for my modem. When the service is up and working as it should, it's blazing. But 3/4 of the time there is something wrong. It's virtually impossible to keep a messenger client running during a chat. Yahoo Messenger logs in and out about every 10 mins, as do AIM, MSN, etc. At this point, loading a Web site, any Web site, is a crap shoot. Constant timeouts and then refreshing brings a page up slowly.

What is this "IP issue" you guys referred to at Suddenlink with MAC addresses? It's craziness and I can't believe what I'm paying for high speed service these days. I would go with Centurytel DSL but I heard it's just as bad here.

DNS pings are terrible.

I've had it.

The problem is that Suddenlink seems to buy these rural Cable Internet companies that have had the same cable structure since the 80's, slap in some Cable nodes for Internet and that's it. However, this seems to definitely lie on the headend at the source. Because bad infrastructure would be bad all of the time, not sporadically.

It reminds me of when I worked at CCorp and my old boss would play around in the headend for no reason and screw the service up, we would get killed with calls from angry customers, and then he would blame it on us.

It's all about the bottom line... take our money, talk in circles around issues like some of us don't have technical backgrounds, and fix the root cause at their leisure.. or when the $10 an hour administrator figures out what he/she is doing wrong.

You get no sympathy from me Suddenlink.

And only respect when you earn it.

I will admit the guy from Suddenlink helped out here and was nice, but damnit man. Represent!

anonycabot

@cebridge.net

Apparently OpenDNS is the magic wand until Suddenlink fixes their DNS issues, etc. It seems to work well enough (for now) that maybe it would just be worth it to use it always. It DOES have a dynamic IP updater in case any of you were wondering.

Try it... it's free.

seant169

join:2003-07-21
Forney, TX
reply to egreene429

Suddenlink tells a bunch of lies to try to resolve the issues.
I have had many issues in the FORNEY/Terrell System.

I have had them since 1999. originally classicnet
they never acknowledge that it was their fault even if it is the head end.

I filed a FCC complaint on them and they finally fixed my issues.

These people dont give a flying fusk what you know or how trained in cable tv and its accessories.

Just remember you know more than the people that work there because they just read from a yes or no bank of answers.
Even the techs are a bunch of buffoons.

reply to egreene429

to egreene 429/more then likely a groundend issue or headend issue/other things for laptop concerning certain sites ask about ssl on the computer/this is always what im told when cant access certain sites and others i can pull up

reply to seant169

iim sorry all your issues we could not repair to your happiness/if you think we are stupid then pls dont call us for help as we are a bunch of idiots persay and you know all so why call us when you know more?seriously dont waste our time guy we do have better things to do and at least we do know how to spell

anontech

@suddenlink.net
reply to egreene429

Greetings again. Reguarding the above comments, please DO call us for help and we will treat you better than troubleshootereh. I am in the Jonesboro area. The post I made earlier about the ip issue was correct. We had a block of ip's that was causing collisions. This was pertaining to the Jonesboro area only. This would not have been a part of the other problems listed above. I am not on the approved list of Suddenlink tech support for this forum yet, but there is a list posted on this site. Thank you.

seant169

join:2003-07-21
Forney, TX
reply to troubleshootereh

I am really not mad. i just want to help and i cannot seem to get the techs or the cable company to understand that i know what i am talking about.

So either they play dumb or they really have no idea.

There needs to be a status at the cable company that the end user can achieve as a Flagged account that states that I am considered as knowledgeable as a tech. Not just Flagged for making a stink about shoty service repair issues. That are known issues.

cabotvictim

join:2008-11-06
Cabot, AR
reply to egreene429

Well... it's happening in Cabot again as of yesterday. Same issue that has happened for the last 4 months and always seems to be in the first week of the month. DNS issues again, and loading pages is virtually impossible. Most of the time it's the old server or page cannot be found error page, or when you do reach a page every 10th try or so, it's so slow that it never fully loads a page.

What's the deal SuddenLink? This is crazy. If it something at the local headend, give those guys the means to get their equipment right. If it's a problem down in Texas... there is even less reason for excuse.

I have been on the system here in Cabot for 3 years, and it is by far the worst service I've been on, regarding outages. When it's up.. it's fast and flawless, but the downtime is too often for the price we pay for the service.

What has happened to service and support these days? Cellular, Internet, Cable.. all of them have become complacent and uninterested in providing the quality we used to see back in the day.

It's not you guys that represent the companies in these forums. I've never said that YOU don't care.. but you know there are problems and your hands are tied. You may know what is wrong and how to fix the issues (when applicable), but when it's a deeper issue, you just can't if you don't have the authority to request or propose the bigger changes that need to take place. When the VPs, CEOs and CFOs won't allow for the money needed to upgrade 4th generation crap, we all suffer and they still reap the rewards from the bills we pay. And we continue to pay them because the service we have is all that some of us can have. No matter how you look at it, in some areas they still run a monopoly, even if in the big picture the government says they are not.

The only sure bet that issues like this will get fixed, is when one of those executives is also affected by the same issues. I guarantee you they get it fixed then.

Cabot Victim

cabotvictim

join:2008-11-06
Cabot, AR
reply to egreene429

P.S. As for those techs that do respond here. Troubleshootereh... you are a jerk. It's people like you that don't report the issues up the chain by keeping a log of things like this, being proactive or simply caring period. Your ego sucks. You talk smack like you are high and mighty and then you make fun of someone because they spelled a word incorrectly in a forum? Again.. you are a jerk. You do not belong in a customer servicing environment.

Anontech.. you are the kind of person we hope to have respond and the kind of person we always hope moves up the ladder. That's when things start to get done properly. You understand and it is appreciated. I wish you could do more to help with all of these localized issues, but I understand how hard that is.

tech38

join:2008-10-17

Hello again, I am now tech38 on this site(formerly anontech). I am now on the approved list for tech support. I will try to help as much as I can. Also Pete Able can escalate trouble calls to the highest level and can be reached on this site. I am in the Jonesboro AR area but I will try to help when I can. Thanks.