Search similar:

uniqs

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N

IQ is room temperature...

People are idiots, plain and simple. Reading a contract is too much work...

Going online and checking a FAQ is too much work.

Even typing "AT&T international AirCard fees" on google is too much work.

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

said by R4M0N:

People are idiots, plain and simple. Reading a contract is too much work...

Going online and checking a FAQ is too much work.

Even typing "AT&T international AirCard fees" on google is too much work.
Ah no. I misread how the mexican roaming works and it bit me in the butt and I'm a howardforum member.

It can happen even to the geekiest of us.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

2 edits

en102 to R4M0N

to R4M0N
If it takes a passport (or at least drivers license + birth certificate as a minimum) to enter Canada, and the currency is not the same, why would you expect to have 'free' roaming on a data plan.

BTW: $19,000 of data roaming @ $0.0195/KB = 974358KB... basically 1GB of data. Must have been sending a lot of pictures... practically a whole camera's data card worth.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N to MrMaster

to MrMaster
I rarely base comments on the exceptions.
jarthur31
join:2006-04-14
Carlsbad, NM

jarthur31 to R4M0N

to R4M0N
I don't consider myself illiterate by any means but a contract filled with nothing but legalese is ridiculous and only serves the corporations. They should make it plain and simple for all of us!

Imagine this planet filled with nothing but lawyers!!!!!

*shudders*

totamak
And they call me nuts?
join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

totamak to en102

to en102
You are off by an order of magnitude, it's $0.195 per KB, not 0.0195. Using the bill size as listed on the Consumerist, I have crunched out 99333.33_ KB consumed to reach that bill size (probably less than that considering taxes, fees, and "unfees") or about 97 megabytes.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Not according to AT&T
»www.wireless.att.com/tra ··· x=50&y=7

Roaming:
Calls Placed/Received
While in Canada
AT&T Standard International Roaming $0.79
AT&T World Traveler $0.59
AT&T Canada $0.59
AT&T Mexico $0.79
Data Usage: All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB

$19,000 @ $0.015/KB = 1,266,666KB or 1237MB or 1.2GB

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo to R4M0N

Premium Member

to R4M0N
While I'm not defending the family, but have you tried to read soms of these contracts? While I'm not a lawyer (but I do practice telecom policy review), many of these contracts are overly lengthy, very vauge, and often contdidictary. Many lawyers I know don't read over the contracts for their wireless or communication services.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by quetwo:

While I'm not defending the family, but have you tried to read soms of these contracts? While I'm not a lawyer (but I do practice telecom policy review), many of these contracts are overly lengthy, very vauge, and often contdidictary. Many lawyers I know don't read over the contracts for their wireless or communication services.
Cell contracts should just be big bolded graphs/spreadsheets. roam here it costs this much in plain and simple text, leave early pay this ETF. bold plain and simple and Totally eliminate the Legalese bullshit that means nothing outside of legal departments. when creating a consumer contract the lawyers in the companies have to think Mall and Walmart, not Harvard and Yale when wording things.

totamak
And they call me nuts?
join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

totamak to en102

to en102
You're right, I was basing the charges of the 'per KB' value on the "up to" reference.

AB_Lazy
@dslextreme.com

AB_Lazy to R4M0N

Anon

to R4M0N
Normally I'd agree. However, I'd have to agree with the family on a few points. Had I bought goods/services from a salesman and they promised XYZ about it, I would expect just that. When I come across said product not performing X,Y, or Z, you better believe I'd be upset at the salesman/company over false advertising.

Unfortunately, the sales representatives at cell phone retailers are usually quite full of bunk. Hell, it took us 4 consulations with them at the Sprint store to finally (officially) add texting/data plans to our lines when requested. It was irritating as all hell to get some absurd bill the next month and have the sales rep make it out as though *we* forgot to get data/messaging. Unfortunately, changing plans provides us with no receipts for proof of said change, and so we'd have to wait for next month's bill to verifiy if the changes had (not) been done. And when it all failed to follow through, the cycle would continue again.