All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
corkyy
join:2008-06-01
Laval, QC

corkyy to wayjac

to wayjac

Re: Got screwed with 2wire modem. What now?

Majoram I'm 100% shure you don't need to register on the webpage( I had it), there is a workaround and I don't remember.

Could you check the dsn automaticaly set on the computer and the router? If you see "2wire" somewhere, replace it.

I think it was that, but It's been 4-5 month since I did it.

The biggest problem with the bell firmwire is that "bridge mode" is locked out.

I Found on the net ( don't remember where ) that 2wire 2700, 2701 ( I had 2701HG-G) could be but on debug mode by dooing a short on pins 1-2-14 of the 14 pin jtag connector inside the modem...

It was working, the ip was 10.10.(dont remember the end) and dhcp was disabled as stated in the forum where I found that.

In the debug mode, there is suposely a way to remove all bell crap, but I had only 4 days before sending back the modem to sympatico and I didn't got able to found out how.

At job I have like 10 sympatico 2wire for sale, I'll put one on debug during next to see if there is really no way to but out bell out of them, But last time, I was, AGAIN, blocked at the MDC page...
Majoram
join:2002-10-22
Toronto, ON

Majoram

said by corkyy:

Majoram I'm 100% shure you don't need to register on the webpage( I had it), there is a workaround and I don't remember.

Could you check the dsn automaticaly set on the computer and the router? If you see "2wire" somewhere, replace it.

I think it was that, but It's been 4-5 month since I did it.
The dsn? DNS? I've checked the DNS and manually configured them. No luck. Any chance you can find that workaround again??
said by corkyy:

I Found on the net ( don't remember where ) that 2wire 2700, 2701 ( I had 2701HG-G) could be but on debug mode by dooing a short on pins 1-2-14 of the 14 pin jtag connector inside the modem...

It was working, the ip was 10.10.(dont remember the end) and dhcp was disabled as stated in the forum where I found that.

In the debug mode, there is suposely a way to remove all bell crap, but I had only 4 days before sending back the modem to sympatico and I didn't got able to found out how.

At job I have like 10 sympatico 2wire for sale, I'll put one on debug during next to see if there is really no way to but out bell out of them, But last time, I was, AGAIN, blocked at the MDC page...
Yeah I heard about the debug mode too and I looked into it. All there is just info on how to get debug mode. No one knows what to do after that.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Thanks for posting the bell 2wire pages.

If you changed the dns ip's in the 2wire that may not help.
You should try changing the dns on the computer.

The 2wire will do dns relay when a computers connected to it use its lan ip for dns ip.
The 2wire will play the role of a dns server, dns requests are checked against the 2wire dns name table if there's no match the request is forwarded to the ISP's DNS server.
Majoram
Toronto, ON

Majoram

said by wayjac:

Thanks for posting the bell 2wire pages.

If you changed the dns ip's in the 2wire that may not help.
You should try changing the dns on the computer.

The 2wire will do dns relay when a computers connected to it use its lan ip for dns ip.
The 2wire will play the role of a dns server, dns requests are checked against the 2wire dns name table if there's no match the request is forwarded to the ISP's DNS server.
Tried changing it both in the TCP/IP properties and on the 2wire.
Still the same problem.

I noticed though that in IPconfig, there is:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net

What is that setting?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Thats the url of the 2-wire.It means its getting dns from the 2wire
Majoram
Toronto, ON

Majoram

said by andyb:

Thats the url of the 2-wire.It means its getting dns from the 2wire
How can I manually override it though?

Even when manually setting the DNS on my comp, the Gateway still has to be 192.168.2.1 which is the 2wire modem. And thus it still forwards to the Bell page.

Must be some way to change that the gateway is not used for DNS lookup??

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Without having one I can't say.I'd just hookup the router and enter the user/pass in that instead if it's bridged.
andyb

andyb to Majoram

Premium Member

to Majoram
Is there a setup wizard in the modem?If so there maybe a way to change some things in it?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to Majoram

MVM

to Majoram
I think the browser redirect is being done by bell, at&t does something similar but only with the default username/password stored in the at&t 2wire.

In another thread you said:
said by Majoram:

I got a new Bell 2wire to try out. I put in my Teksavvy username/password and it connects just fine and I can ping sites or torrent etc but I cannot access ANY website via IE or Firefox.
That made me think the 2wire was doing the redirects. But after looking at the bell new user page I sure the browser redirect is bell's doing.
Majoram
Toronto, ON

Majoram

said by wayjac:

I think the browser redirect is being done by bell, at&t does something similar but only with the default username/password stored in the at&t 2wire.

In another thread you said:
said by Majoram:

I got a new Bell 2wire to try out. I put in my Teksavvy username/password and it connects just fine and I can ping sites or torrent etc but I cannot access ANY website via IE or Firefox.
That made me think the 2wire was doing the redirects. But after looking at the bell new user page I sure the browser redirect is bell's doing.
I still sorta think the 2wire has something to do with it though. Because the request for the Bell setup page has to sent out from the 2wire anyway.

What I am thinking is if there is a way to override the Gateway from being used for DNS.

Setting the Primary and Secondary DNS on the computer is not enough. What other DNS settings are there that I can set on my computer?
said by andyb:

Without having one I can't say.I'd just hookup the router and enter the user/pass in that instead if it's bridged.
Problem there is that I can't set the 2wire to be Bridged as the MDC is locked and that's the only place to set to Bridge mode.
said by andyb:

Is there a setup wizard in the modem?If so there maybe a way to change some things in it?
Yes but the setup wizard is nothing. It just asks for username and password and that's it.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by Majoram:

What I am thinking is if there is a way to override the Gateway from being used for DNS.
Setting the Primary and Secondary DNS on the computer is not enough. What other DNS settings are there that I can set on my computer?
You can use the ip address that avoids all dns servers entirely.
dslreports ip address: 209.123.109.175
google ip address: 64.233.167.99
said by Majoram:

I still sorta think the 2wire has something to do with it though. Because the request for the Bell setup page has to sent out from the 2wire anyway.
You've right the 2wire can be programed by 2wire with the registration web site ip address. If you connect the bell 2wire again take note of the wan ip, wan gateway ip and the dns ip

If you reset the bell 2wire to factory defaults does it have a username and password?
said by Majoram:

Setting dns ip's on the computers tcp/ip properties should overrule dns settings elsewhere.
dns ip: 4.2.2.2