Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

id_deleted

join:2003-05-01
Salt Lake City, UT

4 edits
reply to delt4

Re: More scum preying on the misinformed.

Even if they tried and succeeded, exactly how would they ever trace it in order to enforce the law? You cant trace airwaves like you can an IP address. Besides, the laws that make recording broadcasts that use public airwaves legal have been on the books for as long as I can remember and the RIAA would like nothing better than to have them removed, lord knows they have tried their hardest over the years and failed in every attempt.
They also knew there was a very high potential for something like HD RadioPC, so they have been very careful not to license any hardware that could interface with a PC. Absolutely No HD Radio "PC card" tuners or HD Radio USB recievers exist. It was just a matter of time before someone hacked some of the existing recievers so that they could be PC controlled. The RIAA pretty much shot themselves in the foot, but I guess they thought the money involved was worth the risk. That illustrates rather well just how greedy they actually are, but they are certainly not happy campers now.

The days of "finger on the record button" have long past, now you just click the "Auto Record" and every song that plays is saved as an mp3 file. Subchannels are commercial free and commercials have no effect on recording anyway. You can get a bit of talk over on some of the HD versions of older analog channels, but those channels tend to play the same group of songs over and over again, so sooner or later you are bound to obtain a perfect recording of the song. When you can set it to automatically record for days at a time, "sooner or later" becomes pretty much irrelevant.
Your average HD Radio station will play anywhere from 250 to 300 songs in a 24 hr day. Multiply that by the 0.99 cents each you would pay at iTunes for lesser quality mp3 files, then extrapolate that out to "weeks" and you see why HD RadioPC is quickly becoming a very popular system.
I have somewhere between 7000 and 8000 songs recorded now over the last 60 days or so, and I was mostly just fooling around with it here and there. Locating and downloading that many songs would take you "several" months of near constant work, and I wasnt even around my PC during most of the time it recorded.