spc
uniqs

kongo144
@verizon.net

kongo144 to kongo144

Anon

to kongo144

Re: help with usb port and cable box

thanks but whats the point of having a usb if it doesnt work?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

These are somewhat generic boxes by Motorola that Vz then programs to their own specs. Other companies may choose to enable the USB port, for example. (Or not).
dt_dc
join:2006-09-27
Herndon, VA

dt_dc to kongo144

to kongo144
Got me ... you'd have to ask Motorola. It's there for "future options".

The USB ports are standard on Motorola / Scientific Atlanta boxes and it would probably be more expensive for a cable operator to try and get a box w/o them (chip set, chasis, etc.)

AFAIK, they've never been enabled for any user-visible features (by any cable operator). They are powered though ... I've got my blackberry charger plugged in to one.

Dunno about the Motorola boxes ... but with the Scientific Atlanta boxes the USB port can be used during the development cycle. Software developers can use the USB port to load software onto the box for testing and debugging w/o the full back end / cable plant set up.

There was also a company playing around with diagnostics via USB (for field techs). Field teck plugs their hadheld into the STB USB port ... gets some handy-dandy diagnostic info. Dunno if that ever went anywhere / got deployed anywhere.

Oh yah ... and some of the Scientific Atlanta firmware versions come with a simplistic USB keyboard driver. You can plug a USB keyboard in and it will recognize certain keystrokes (numbers for channel changing ... + / - for channel up / down ... etc).

That's about it AFAIK.

siersema
join:2005-06-16
Mansfield, TX

siersema

The best use I heard was to use the USB port to power a laptop cooling fans that can be used to cool the DVR!

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to kongo144

MVM

to kongo144
said by kongo144 :

thanks but whats the point of having a usb if it doesnt work?
It's a lot harder to add a port to a box that doesn't have one, then it is to deactivate a port on a box that has one.