spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rcrodgers
join:2002-04-20
Detroit, MI

rcrodgers

Trapped by crappy ISPs in Detroit 48206

Ok, I moved [back] to Detroit, in the 48206 zip code a few months back, and discovered that my parents had DSL. Yay! (Or so I cheered initially.) It turns out the AT&T DSL for whatever reason is limited to 512kbps downstream, and can't be upgraded. AT&T claims that their system doesn't have any more available capacity for them to "switch my port" to. Given the modern era, and the fact that I had friends working with Pac Bell years ago, I accepted this answer with tongue in cheek and subscribed to Comcast's cable modem service, which up until the start of August was great.

Then Comcast started blocking my access to SMTP servers on port 25, followed by blocking my access to my company's VPN (I work remotely), and they claim that if I want these services I need to be on a commercial account. I told them what I would be doing when I signed up, mind you.

So, I'm getting ready to detonate the bridge between me and Comcast, and can't bear to deal with the slow speed on AT&T's DSL. Do I have any alternatives other than HughesNet here? Verizon doesn't seem to be offering Fios in my neighborhood unfortunately, and U-verse hasn't made its way over here either...

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL

have you checked here »/search
rcrodgers
join:2002-04-20
Detroit, MI

rcrodgers

Yes, that was my first action, but the problem is generally that any DSL provider in the area will be using AT&T's lines, on which I'm still limited to their 512kbps downstream.

Are there any other fiber/fibre optic providers other than Verizon and possibly AT&T?

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL

said by rcrodgers:

Yes, that was my first action, but the problem is generally that any DSL provider in the area will be using AT&T's lines, on which I'm still limited to their 512kbps downstream.
that is incorrect

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI

burgermeister to rcrodgers

to rcrodgers
said by rcrodgers:

You know, that's true, but what was really odd when I got DSL is Covad was the only company I could get it through. For some reason, AT&T couldn't do it.

Maybe they just didn't have the equipment set up in my area, but that seems a bit hard to believe.

grtgonzo
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Waterford, MI

grtgonzo to rcrodgers

Premium Member

to rcrodgers
I'm in a similar situation in that AT&T will only give me 384K dsl at my location. I've been stuck on it for years, but don't want to go the Comcast route.

I don't live in thee sticks. You would think that in a town of 70,000 people in a Metro area of 3 million plus that they cold do better.