K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to KookyMan

Premium Member

to KookyMan

Re: [Spam] Comcast reporting spam from my IP

It would be interesting to have the viewpoint of an attorney re: the situation you cite. My suspicion is that Comcast's attorneys have told Comcast to not forward the complaint mail.

In any case what you are asking is a horrendous task on a system of Comcast's size.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian

Premium Member

said by K Patterson:

It would be interesting to have the viewpoint of an attorney re: the situation you cite. My suspicion is that Comcast's attorneys have told Comcast to not forward the complaint mail.

In any case what you are asking is a horrendous task on a system of Comcast's size.
I can think of a very good reason not to forward complaint emails. Retaliation.

mady
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

I hadn't thought of that, good point!

My guess is that Comcast managerial types want nothing to do with any possibility that someone else's email is anywhere on one of their ahrd drives. Just too much exposure in our presently litigious society.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to madylarian

MVM

to madylarian
said by madylarian:

There is that, but the main reason is to prevent listwashing.
K Patterson
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

K Patterson

Premium Member

said by funchords:

said by madylarian:

There is that, but the main reason is to prevent listwashing.
I don't understand, perhaps because I really don't know what listwashing is. Can you explain a little more?

thanks,

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to K Patterson

MVM

to K Patterson
said by K Patterson:

Wrong -- it's in absolutely no way shape or form a "horrendous task".

Comcast human beings already have to handle spam complaints by hand. That means they get a full copy of the *entire mail*, including the body of the text. Someone has to read it -- I don't see it as a privacy invasion at all.

I'd like to ASSUME they look at the mail headers closely, and spend the time doing it right. Since they're already looking at the headers, is it really THAT HARD to put them in a ticket or as a note on your account? No. As someone who works in a NOC, I can assure you that degree of effort takes about 10 seconds.

Take my situation for example: **one single report of spam** resulted in them applying a network block. ONE. I know for a fact I didn't spam, and my own home network outbound ACLs ensure anyone using my network can only send mail through my FreeBSD box. So when I look at my FreeBSD box logs and see a series of mails dated when Comcast said the violation was performed, and none of them even remotely resemble spam, the only way you'll be able to debunk the issue is with Comcast's cooperation.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to K Patterson

Premium Member

to K Patterson
said by K Patterson:

I don't understand, perhaps because I really don't know what listwashing is. Can you explain a little more?

thanks,
Listwashing means that the complaining addresses are removed from the spammer's list and the spammer just keeps on spamming because most people just delete rather than complain.

mady