share rss forum feed

reddog00
Ahhhh That Feels Much Better
Premium
join:2003-02-24
Crossville, TN

Landline required for DSL Service?

Hi all

I have been a long time AT&T DSL user. I just have a simple question.

Do you need a registered(landline) AT&T phone line to have and keep AT&T DSL service(I have the Elite DSL Service)???

INFO: Years ago I paid to have a line ran directly from the NID outside my residence directly to my DSL Modem so the DSL does not go through my homes' phone line.

Thanks for any info about this in advance.
--
Control is an illusion!!!

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

This has been discussed many times in the group. The term is "unbundled" for when you search.

The consensus is (usually stated after a tale of woe) that if you want to go that route, order a new DSL line first and get it working before discontinuing the previous service. They will not use the same pair for the new service.

Consider just dropping all options on the voice line. It is a much more reliable method for emergencies than cell or VOIP. It is higher fidelity than cell. I understand that those recorded calls saying that your loan has been approved make you want to get rid of that line. Just disconnect the ringer most of the time.

Old_Grouch
Don't just sit there silly DO something
Premium
join:2004-05-26
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to reddog00

I may have read your question a bit differently than StillLearn See Profile.

You still need at&t facilities (wire etc) to get DSL to your home and terminated in the NID. From the NID, you are welcome to have a home-run directly to your DSL modem which is what I think you describe today.

The signal does go through your home's phone line meaning the at&t facilities up to the NID. It does not go through the facilities within your home because of the home-run or direct feed from your side of the NID to the desktop.

Your service would be much as you have it today just without the dial tone and junk calls.

Between us you may find yer answer.

EDIT cause I can not spel werth a darm.
--
At Team Discovery we know how to get more outta that danged 'puter of yours!
If you paid taxes it's a rebate. If you didn't, it's welfare.

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN
reply to reddog00

Well I would really like to get rid of the phone service entirely because of financial savings.

I did consider dropping all options from my current phone package(already pondered on this one for awhile before posting) because I knew this would be the easiest and least complicated route but I am shortly going on permanent disability and will have 2 pay-as-you-go cell phones and a new phone service that is 15 times cheaper than just a bare-bones AT&T line.

So is anyone in the Direct forum highly recommended and able to take care of this as quickly and painlessly as possible (because I really cannot afford any downtime connection-wise)??? (Either setting up a new DSL Elite line first before axing my phone service entirely or possibly another way... whichever is easiest without losing any connection time???)
--

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to reddog00

Two tiers are offered, a 3Mbit down/1.5 Mbit up plan for $28.99 per month, and a 1.5Mbit down/768k up for $23.99. Those who opt for the stand-alone DSL service will be able to avoid paying the myriad of mandatory fees associated with a phone line.

The service is available to customers in at least the following states: AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, IN, IL, KY, LA, MI, MO, OH, NC NV, SC, TN, TX

Customers wishing to sign up for the service should do the following:

* Call the AT&T Dry Loop department directly at 888-800-4095.
* Ask to switch to "DSL direct".
* If they give you a hassle, say it's a retention offer.
--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN

KK thanks for the info XBL2007.
--

DougRuss47

join:2008-06-08
Michigan City, IN
reply to reddog00

How did you make out. Did you get the phone service dropped without any hassles?
Thinking of doing the same...cheaper to go with a "Pre Paid Cell Phone Plan", than to continue paying thru AT&T for my Basic and Long Distance service.

minky

@sbcglobal.net
reply to reddog00

you DO need phone line, but you DO NOT need a home phone, just call and ask for dry loop DSL or stand alone DSL as above poster noted DO USE the 800 number he listed, the people are english speaking and savy to what you want.

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN
reply to DougRuss47

I have not done anything yet with this Doug. The only reason is according to XBL2007 the highest speed for dryloop is 3MB. I really enjoy and need the 6MB because I have 2 computers, an XBOX360, my new phone service, and my DirecTV HD DVR box all hooked up to my network.

So I am thinking about keeping the landline but only in barebones form. My new phone service only costs me $19.95/year....yes that is for a full year. It includes all the options which I currently pay for with AT&T such as Caller ID, Call waiting, 3-way calling, free directory assistance, free voicemail, and a free phone number for life.

So as soon as my wife calls and finds out how much a barebones line is per month I am not sure what I will be doing because I really need the 6MB AT&T DSL speed tier which is apparently not offered in dryloop form. As soon as I do something I will update this post.
--

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN
reply to minky

said by minky :

you DO need phone line, but you DO NOT need a home phone, just call and ask for dry loop DSL or stand alone DSL as above poster noted DO USE the 800 number he listed, the people are english speaking and savy to what you want.
So what number do you call???

TomMac
Premium
join:2008-03-23
Dayton, OH

1 edit

I do not remember what number I called but you might try the number listed on your phone bill. My DSL bill shows 800-288-2020.

I moved my DSL service from my phone line in February, 2008 and have Dry Loop Elite and I am paying $39 a month.

Look in the AT&T Callvantage forum for lots of information on ordering dry loop service.

After I had my dry loop service up and working I ported my phone number to Callvantage service.

Anon6

@sbcglobal.net
reply to reddog00

Wait, I thought you could get the Elite without a voice line...

At least that's what it says on their site

»www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11523

"Direct Elite - Up to 6.0 Mbps - DSL without local phone
service—perfect for downloading movies."

Costs $10 more though.

I'm thinking of doing this sometime in the near future, if you do it, please let me know how it went and if you were able to keep the 6MB without the voice plan.

Thanks.

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN

I sure will Anon6.

TomMac
Premium
join:2008-03-23
Dayton, OH
reply to Anon6

As stated above Elite is the package that I currently have and they are charging me $39. I do not know if they have raised the rate to $45. I guess I will find out on the next bill.

reddog00
Premium
Crossville, TN
reply to reddog00

Well I finished up with this and thought I would share my results with everyone that was interested.

I called the above number provided by XBL2007 and told them that I no longer wanted my phone service and would like to go with just the Direct Elite DSL. I was then transferred to a nice customer service lady named Toni and I ended up with the following deal...

Toni wooed me into to keeping my phoneline and gave me nice incentives to do so. After stripping all services from my phone line the monthly price was to be $21.75/month but since I live in Michigan I was eligible for a $5/month lifetime discount which took the monthly cost of my phone line down to $16.75/month for life By keeping the phone line I also was able to keep the Elite DSL price from going up from $35/month to $45/month... in essence saving me $10/month on the Elite DSL. When you combine those two I am basicaly paying $6.75/month to keep my phone line. On top of that she gave me a 6-month promotion of 50% off my DSL price (so I am only paying $17.50/month for 6 months for the Elite DSL).

The good thing about all this besides getting a pretty good deal I think was that I did not have to go through the headache of any DSL line switching and/or any DSL downtime

I am a happy customer that is all I got to say!
--