uniqs

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t

Premium Member

TF2 server bandwidth

My clan has a pub and private TF2 server through a game host company but we may soon have access to a dedicated server with very limited usage restrictions. We'd be saving $20/month along with other benefits.

Ive scowered google and have seen some rudimentary numbers but nothing concrete and usually the server config isnt mentioned. i need to know bandwidth usage for 66 and 100tick servers, per person. Our current pub is 24 player 100tick and if we go this new route i think we'd like to keep the same configuration.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

m8trix

most often a dedicated box using their connection using the same amount of bandwidth will cost more then renting this is why people who want better performance will add options like

High CPU priority
Ping Accelerator [250 FPS]
Hyperaccelerator [500 FPS]
Ultraaccelerator [2000 FPS]

when you do this the company will put you on a better box with less servers on it and performance can also be affected by the connection type like if internap or lvl 3 all very in cost and performance

but just based on 1 slot here are the numbers

33 Tickrate- 5 KB/s or 40 kbps
66 Tickrate- 12 KB/s or 96 kbps
100 Tickrate 18 KB/s or 144 kbps
Note those are averages and the bandwidth requirements increase exponentially the more slots in a server that are in use.

what will effect it more then the tickrate is if you allow map and sound download from your server followed by the setting you have for

rate
update rate
cmd rate

who are you guys going through?

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to Somnambul33t

Premium Member

to Somnambul33t
I think TF2 is also capped at 66 ticks.
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

said by The Flash:

no you can get a 100 tic just depends on the setup and the provider

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash

Premium Member

said by m8trix:

said by The Flash:

I read somewhere that the game's limit is 66 ticks.
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

source based games can do 100 tick and is a server side setting

for the OP reading

»whisper.ausgamers.com/wi ··· Tickrate

»www.counter-strike.com/t ··· rate.php

Julio
NightLinks
Premium Member
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY

Julio to m8trix

Premium Member

to m8trix
said by m8trix:
said by The Flash:

Yes, but it will be considered as a custom server.

Somnam how much are you guys paying for the 2 servers you have now?

I was going to get a dedicated box last month but i decided to wait maybe 2 - 3 month before getting one.
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

m8trix

virtually all game servers a custom as the people who access that rented just change the config file.has nothing to do with if its rented or dedicated hosting.you can get a 100tic from any of the major game server providers for 24 slot for around $100 a month

and if your still looking i always run my servers through nuclearfallout

»www.nfoservers.com/order.php

Julio
NightLinks
Premium Member
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Julio

Premium Member

When i said custom server i meant that the server was going to be listed in the custom server list but valve have taken it out.

That's how long i haven't played TF2

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t to m8trix

Premium Member

to m8trix
said by m8trix:

most often a dedicated box using their connection using the same amount of bandwidth will cost more then renting this is why people who want better performance will add options like

High CPU priority
Ping Accelerator [250 FPS]
Hyperaccelerator [500 FPS]
Ultraaccelerator [2000 FPS]

when you do this the company will put you on a better box with less servers on it and performance can also be affected by the connection type like if internap or lvl 3 all very in cost and performance

but just based on 1 slot here are the numbers

33 Tickrate- 5 KB/s or 40 kbps
66 Tickrate- 12 KB/s or 96 kbps
100 Tickrate 18 KB/s or 144 kbps
Note those are averages and the bandwidth requirements increase exponentially the more slots in a server that are in use.

what will effect it more then the tickrate is if you allow map and sound download from your server followed by the setting you have for

rate
update rate
cmd rate

who are you guys going through?
we're looking at join venture of sorts with a CS:S/WoW/etc clan that we're friendly with and would be hosting 2 pub/1priv TF2 servers, 3ish CS:S servers (1 might be priv), possibly forums, and we may move our vent server to it.

the box wont be a prob as we're looking for an Intel C2Q/Xeon with 2-4GB ram. we're basically gonna max out what the box/bandwidth can do. Most of the plans with a box of these specs has 1500-2500GBs/month, which i think is plenty, but i want to make sure.

Also, how much RAM do source servers use? the biggest servers would be a 24 TF2 pub and a 20-24 CS:S pub. Need to know if 2GB will be enough or if we need to go with 4. If we have to, we'll drop some planned servers and run 1pub/priv or 2 pubs of each game.

We have a list of a companies we're looking at but i dont have it on my PC atm. We need Chicago-based for a median ping and acceptable to CAL. i do know we've considered xlhost.com out of Columbus, OH and ubiquityservers.com

xlhost is offering an E8400 w/ 2GBs RAM and 1.5TB xfer w/ 10mbps connection for 119/mo and the same but with a Q9300 for 159/mo.

basically my clan is spending almost $55/month for 1 24 pub w/stats and 1 private. the guy/clan we might be doing this with gives us free use and admin of their i think 50-man vent server and our clan leader i think pays for our website out of pocket. we're trying to consolidate costs to either save money or get more for what we're paying. we're still working out the details and i'm not positive it will save money in the long run. we'll see i guess...