share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to FunnyBones

Re: The Comcast Newsgroups Service Discontinued

said by FunnyBones:

I am no big fan of newsgroups and their are others but with the cap it is censorship and total control of your connection but as a former user of comcast and I know you will pay for your shenanigans like the time you were forging packets to interfere with user traffic and more.....

This is a wake up call!
Censorship? Try again. You can use your connection, if you had Comcast, to connect to any Newsgroup (NNTP) provider of your choosing - a free or paid provider. They are simply no longer providing the 2 GB Giganews account as part of your basic Internet service package.

Other than the fact that accessing a NNTP server generates traffic, this has absolutely no relation to the prior announcement clarifying the cap at 250 GB.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

When News groups were added originally there was no price increase. So removing it would not merit a price reduction.
What exact date range was Usenet "added originally" by Comcast? You do know Usenet existed before WWW, right?
You misunderstood. Cabletool was referring to when Comcast originally started offering newsgroup access to their customers either through Comcast's own servers or using giganews.
Not at all. What date did they offer NNTP after they offered their Cable Internet services (if there is one ?) Is that clearer? I asked Cabletool who made their statement that alludes that Cable Internet was offered prior to Usenet being around/available and only added later at some imaginary date.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

FunnyBones
Premium
join:2004-01-22
usa
kudos:1
reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

said by FunnyBones:

I am no big fan of newsgroups and their are others but with the cap it is censorship and total control of your connection but as a former user of comcast and I know you will pay for your shenanigans like the time you were forging packets to interfere with user traffic and more.....

This is a wake up call!
Censorship? Try again. You can use your connection, if you had Comcast, to connect to any Newsgroup (NNTP) provider of your choosing - a free or paid provider. They are simply no longer providing the 2 GB Giganews account as part of your basic Internet service package.

Other than the fact that accessing a NNTP server generates traffic, this has absolutely no relation to the prior announcement clarifying the cap at 250 GB.
internet 2 is going to be highly censored and you will see in the end what im talking about but the war has started and its not just comcast but this is the cornerstone and more will follow..
--
Are you part of the cattle?

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

When News groups were added originally there was no price increase. So removing it would not merit a price reduction.
What exact date range was Usenet "added originally" by Comcast? You do know Usenet existed before WWW, right?
That would be late 2002 or early 2003, but it would not be accurate to say that news was added to Comcast. Comcast (legacy) and AT&T Broadband merged, becoming AT&T Comcast, and then simply Comcast. AT&T Broadband customers had a usenet server. Legacy Comcast customers did not. Within a few months, the service levels were normalized and everyone served by the "new" Comcast had free but limited access to a usenet server.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

I didnt say Comcast invented Newsgroups... did you read any of this thread?
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

3 edits

said by CableTool:

said by Doctor Olds:

said by CableTool:

I didnt say Comcast invented Newsgroups... did you read any of this thread?
Some readers incorrectly think of the Internet as distinct services -- WWW, Usenet, FTP, eMail, Instant Messaging, BitTorrent -- that are turned on and turned off.

Doctor Olds See Profile,

These services are reached via the Internet, but they're not the Internet. Historically, ISPs have provided local servers providing some popular services as part of their Internet access package (especially when doing so would reduce cost for them, but also for competitive reasons).

Competition is gone now. As for their other motivations, read this: »Old News, and Consumers are Missing the Point
--

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI
reply to Cabal

I won't post a copy of my bill (it's been a year and a half since the increase).

Our municipality had the rate capped at 37.99 until 6/07. After that time, it went up $5 to the new rate of 42.95. No explaniation other than a renew of the municipality agreement.

FunnyBones
Premium
join:2004-01-22
usa
kudos:1
reply to comcastcares8

Down to the nitty gritty on comcast

I have watched the system go into place first with bush trying to get more control and the third world nations telling the us to back off. I have watched rupert murdoch buy myspace and they started shuting down anything related to a corrupt government. See even things like free wifi wont be free when you will have an agreement to scan your thumb print first so that way they know who is doing what and have total control and this happening on a level that is hard to fathom and you think comcast is bad some others think a 40 or 90 cap is the way to go.

So I ask you AVonGauss do you think im wrong about censorship?
--
Are you part of the cattle?

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

said by FunnyBones:

I think your political views and comments are off topic for a thread about Comcast discontinuing its newsgroup service.

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

said by AVonGauss:

said by FunnyBones:

I think your political views and comments are off topic for a thread about Comcast discontinuing its newsgroup service.
While maybe offtopic, they are true in the overall context of censorship and Constitutional law breaking we have seen lately.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to mogulman

said by mogulman:

AT&T used to have their own news servers. Then they moved it to giganews. If they are going to remove this function of the internet, they should reduce the price they are charging.
AT&T (Worldnet Service) has always run their own NNTP servers. Now that SBC runs the show, they have two NNTP server farms: ATTW (which also covers AT&T Southeast, the old Bellsouth), and ATTIS (which used to be Prodigy).

Perhaps you are confusing ATTBI with "T"?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to sturmvogel

Then maybe the two of you should start a separate thread to express your opinions regarding how Comcast through their HSI service offering is an act of censorship or an attack on the constitutional law. It aught to be an interesting read.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

reply to FunnyBones

Censorship? Censorship! I don't see any censorship. If Comcast ever blocks your access to Easynews, Giganews, Newsguay, et. al.then you may cry, "Censorship!" Until then, Comcast is free to carry as much, or as little content as they wish, along with offering TCP/IP connectivity to the Internet.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to jbob

said by jbob:

Every ISP I have ever had offered NNTP as part of the package.
When I started with Astragate, a dial-up ISP available in the S.F. Bay Area, in 1999, they did not offer NNTP service until a couple of months after we signed up.

NNTP service has a cost to carry it, and I suspect most ISPs offered a very small budget to maintain it. Which is why most ISP news service was crappy. SBC took over Prodigy, and ran the old Prodigy (excellent) news service into the ground. Guess which company was more profitable before the takeover? SBC took over AT&T (Worldnet Service), and is running the old AT&T (Worldnet Service, excellent) news service into the ground. Guess which company was more profitable before the takeover? SBC started calling themselves, "AT&T", after taking over AT&T. SBC never had good, or even just "decent", NNTP service. And they just killed all of 'alt.binaries.*' last July.

AOL stopped carrying NNTP service years ago, yet just last June, or so, they acceded to Mario Cuomo's demands. Why? Because if they did not, he'd take them to court to force them to stop doing what they had long not been doing. Companies are in business for profit, not principle. While Cuomo is wrong, in principle, it would cost money to prove it in court; a cost which would deprecate profit. So AOL chose "profit" over "principle", and agreed to join Cuomo in announcing that they would no longer do that which they had already stopped doing years ago. And AT&T, rather than facing the court costs of fighting Cuomo, also announced that they were joining his "initiative". And Comcast...

None of the ISPs were making money off of NNTP service. They weren't losing money, but they weren't making any, either.

Do you know what happened to the free NNTP services? They were "labors of love", run by people who had a little extra money. When the world beat paths to their servers, they couldn't cover the costs of the bandwidth, and the server capacity; they folded.

And what happened to Supernews? They were a premium NNTP provider, but they ultimately couldn't cover their cost of operation, and were bought by Giganews. The premium services still standing have to cover their costs of operation, or they will go under. That is just the nature of private enterprise.

Robert Anson Heinlein understood that, when he coined the "TANSTAAFL" acronym in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress: "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".
--
Norman

TheBigCheese

join:2002-08-05
Voorhees, NJ
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

said by beerbum:

Did your rate increase $7.99 when newsgroup access was added to accounts?
"hahahaha I doubt it."

There was always newsgroup access in my area from day one. Then Comcast took over from Excite@home. At that time, you had unlimited downloads. Then Comcast outsourced the service and only allowed 2GB/month.

Some ISP's are eliminating email and personal web pages so I guess soon we will see an announcement that Myspace has taken over from personal web pages and GMail is available for free so all that will be left is raw Internet access.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to quetwo

So your local franchise agency artificially forced Comcast to offer the service at a lower price than they offered it elsewhere. Then Comcast was able to convince them that it was unfair to force them to offer service "at cost"; probably offered to take their toys to other markets, and leave them with dead coax on the poles. So the franchise agency chose to allow Comcast to charge you what they already charged everybody else.

Government controlled prices are not "normal", and prices rising to the market level, when the government relinquishes controls, does not a "price hike" make.
--
Norman

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

said by NormanS:

So your local franchise agency artificially forced Comcast to offer the service at a lower price than they offered it elsewhere.

Government controlled prices are not "normal", and prices rising to the market level, when the government relinquishes controls, does not a "price hike" make.
This "artificial"-ness runs both ways when there are only 0, 1, or 2 choices for any particular address. It takes a market to create market forces.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 edits

said by funchords:

This "artificial"-ness runs both ways when there are only 0, 1, or 2 choices for any particular address. It takes a market to create market forces.
Pricing isn't set on a per address basis; it's based on the service area your address would reside in. As long as there is competition within your service area (which there almost always is), there are at least 2 services to compete on price.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to NormanS

(topic move) We're dumping Comcast

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 19 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »We're dumping Comcast

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to espaeth

Re: The Comcast Newsgroups Service Discontinued

said by espaeth:

Pricing isn't set on a per address basis; it's based on the service area your address would reside in. As long as there is competition within your service area (which there almost always is), there are at least 2 services to compete on price.
That's still pretty far from a market, but your point is valid. It's also true the $42.95 is worth less now than it was 4 years ago -- so the price has dropped somewhat. ObTopic -- both Comcast and Verizon caved in to Cuomo, Verizon a bit differently -- »News: Verizon KILLING their News Server!!!
--

axelrose
Shelters saves Babies USA

join:2005-05-25
Chattanooga, TN
reply to beerbum

said by beerbum:

so will Comcast be reducing our bills since the equivalent service from Giganews is $7.99 per month?

hahahaha I doubt it.
I doubt it too. Comcast is just like the gasoline stations that have increased the price of a gallon of gasoline while the price of oil has dropped more than $50 over that same period of time.

Comcast is going to get every penny they legally can steal from us.

Where is congress?
--
I have been very charitable while poor and kind to people even while undergoing enormous personal pain.
My only weakness is that I at times have placed trust in deceitful people.
I know that GOD will be my ONLY judge in this life or the next.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

said by axelrose:

said by beerbum:

so will Comcast be reducing our bills since the equivalent service from Giganews is $7.99 per month?

hahahaha I doubt it.
I doubt it too. Comcast is just like the gasoline stations that have increased the price of a gallon of gasoline while the price of oil has dropped more than $50 over that same period of time.

Where is congress?
How is Comcast stealing from you?
Someone come to your house every month and threaten you with a gun?
I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure you can call in and request that they kill your service and they won't be able to "steal" another penny from you.

--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by dadkins:

said by axelrose:

said by beerbum:

hahahaha I doubt it.

Where is congress?
How is Comcast stealing from you?
Someone come to your house every month and threaten you with a gun?
I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure you can call in and request that they kill your service and they won't be able to "steal" another penny from you.

Never ending reductions in service with the price staying the same or even going higher is pseudo theft.

Imagine if your public school system announced a property tax increase while at the same time announced they were going to increase class size and fire 25% of the teachers. Wouldn't that be a 'form' of theft?

When does anything with regards to Comcast's actions become wrong and in need of being more regulated than they are today?

Comcast should have to live under regulations similar to regulations for Bond issues with municipalities.
--
I have been very charitable while poor and kind to people even while undergoing enormous personal pain.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

2 recommendations

said by axelrose:

Never ending reductions in service with the price staying the same or even going higher is pseudo theft.

6/384 -> 6/1
8/768 -> 8/2
8/768 -> 16/2 (certain markets)

was a reduction in service with prices staying the same?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to axelrose

Hmmm...
I'm still paying $52.95 as I have been for... 4(?) years now.
Instead of the 4mbps I initially got for the $10 extra, I am now getting 16mbps.

Total Ripoff!
--

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

said by axelrose:

6/384 -> 6/1
8/768 -> 8/2
8/768 -> 16/2 (certain markets)

was a reduction in service with prices staying the same?
I was speaking specifically about this thread which is a reduction in services mainly that Usenet not being offered anymore.

I hope that was clear.
--

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Hmmm...
I'm still paying $52.95 as I have been for... 4(?) years now.
Instead of the 4mbps I initially got for the $10 extra, I am now getting 16mbps.

Total Ripoff!
So you're saying that all Comcast customers have seen an increase in speeds with a freeze on the monthly fees?
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

4 edits

Click for full size

4 times faster?

said by axelrose:

So you're saying that all Comcast customers have seen an increase in speeds with a freeze on the monthly fees?
All? Perhaps not.
Most? Absolutely!
Even the "normal" Comcast HSI customer is getting 6mbps today.
Back in 2003, that same $42.95 got me 1500kbps.

See pic.
This is what is available HERE in Hercules - *NOW*.

Remember, I was paying $42.95 for 1500kbps in 2003.

Looks a bit better today, no?

The first paragraph states:

"Stop crawling the web and start burning rubber with scorching speeds up to 4 times faster than 1.5 Mbps..."

4 x 1.5 = 6 - right?

4 times what I was getting in 2003?
What is the roll to price?
$42.95?

Uhm, yeah.

EDIT: Clarification

--

axelrose

Chattanooga, TN

The topic is that Comcast is no longer going to offer Usenet services. That is a reduction in services. I do not see how this is a controversial view.

thanks

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Never said it was a controversial view, did I?
You said:

said by axelrose:

I asked you how they were stealing from you.

You said:

said by axelrose:

I told you that I was still paying the same price as 4 years ago but getting 4x the speed.

You asked

said by axelrose:

I answered and showed you yes! The pricing is the same now as it was years ago.

Anything else I can help you with today?
--