uniqs

Phoenix2088
join:2002-12-04
Strongsville, OH

4 edits

4 recommendations

Phoenix2088

[Unlock] TUTORIAL: VONAGE WRTP54G/RTP300 WITH 5.01.04

I have noticed that the information for unlocking the WRTP54G is scattered around in various threads. I am going to try and condense all of this information and make it as easy as possible to help unlock a Vonage/Linksys WRTP54G with 5.01.04 firmware. This is a multi-step process that will require downgrading and then finally upgrading to the WRTP54G-NA firmware.

EDIT: Please refer to the 4th post down for unlocking the RTP300.

Disclaimer: I am by no means taking credit for any of this. All of the hard work is credited to jetzhu See Profile, Velund See Profile, the author(s) of CYT, and anyone else I missed. I also do not take any responsibility if you brick your device. Do this procedure at your own risk!

Step 1: Downloads
1. Download Firefox and install the Web Developer Plugin.
»www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· addon/60

2. Download and install TFTP32. This is a Windows based TFTP server that will push the firmware to the device.
»tftpd32.jounin.net/downl ··· etup.exe

3. Download the following ZIP file and extract to the folder TFTP32 was installed in (ex. C:\Program Files\TFTP32). It will contain some of the necessary files that will be required for this unlock procedure.
»rapidshare.com/files/145 ··· zip.html

4. Download CYT.
»/r0/do ··· in32.zip

5. Download the modified WRTP54G-NA 3.1.17 firmware from the following website. Disregard the instructions on that website.
»celiom.googlepages.com/linksys

Step 2: Configure TFTP32
1. Run TFTP32. Click settings, and then setup the base directory. Use the directory you installed the program (ex. C:\Program Files\TFTP32) and make sure the extracted files from the ZIP are in this directory. Change security to none, and set the timeout and max retransmit to 10 and then hit OK.

Step 3: Unlock the Console using Ping Hack
1. Make sure you have downloaded everything from step 1 and ensure the wr file from the ZIP is in the TFTP32 folder. Now disconnect from the internet and connect directly to the WRTP54G making sure the device is also not connected to the internet (ie. pull the Ethernet cord out of the WAN port). Also make sure to disable any Anti-Virus and firewall programs that may be running.

2. Use a paperclip and hard reset the WRTP54G (hold reset for 10-15 seconds). Go to »192.168.15.1 with the username/pass of admin/admin. Go to Wireless and disable it. Once the router restarts go to Administration >> Ping. Also make sure TFTP32 is running.

3. On the Ping popup, right click >> Web Developer >> Forms >> Remove Maximum Lengths.

Enter the following and click Ping.

127.0.0.1 &&cd /var/tmp &&wget tftp://192.168.15.100/wr

Right Click >> Web Developer >> Forms >> Remove Maximum Lengths. Enter the following and click Ping.

127.0.0.1 &&cd /var/tmp &&chmod 755 wr

Right Click >> Web Developer >> Forms >> Remove Maximum Lengths. Enter the following and click Ping.

127.0.0.1 &&sh /var/tmp/wr

After a few seconds you should see some information in the output box. Scroll down to the last line and look for CONSOLE_STATE unlocked. If you see this you are good to go. Go to the next post below to continue the unlock procedure.
Phoenix2088

1 edit

Phoenix2088

Re: [Unlock] TUTORIAL: VONAGE WRTP54G WITH 5.01.04

Step 4: Downgrading Firmware to 1.00.62
1. Ensure that the rf file and von10062.bin from the ZIP archive are in the TFTP32 folder. Power cycle the WRTP54G by unplugging (5 seconds) and replugging the power. Ensure that the wireless is still OFF.

2. Log back into the router and go to Administration >> Ping. Also make sure TFTP32 is running.

3. On the Ping popup, right click >> Web Developer >> Forms >> Remove Maximum Lengths.

Enter the following and click Ping.

127.0.0.1 &&cd /var/tmp &&wget tftp://192.168.15.100/rf

127.0.0.1 &&cd /var/tmp &&chmod 755 rf

127.0.0.1 &&sh /var/tmp/rf

You should now see a file transfer in progress under TFTP32. After the firmware has been transferred the power light on the WRTP54G will start to blink if everything is successful. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS. IT MAY TAKE UP TO 2-4 MINUTES TO COMPLETE. WAIT FOR THE POWER LIGHT TO RETURN SOLID AND FOR AN ETHERNET LINK TO BE ESTABLISHED.

Step 5: Unlock with CYT and Load New Firmware
1. Login to the router using admin/admin and leave this window open. Ensure that firmware 1.00.62 has loaded successfully.

2. Open cyt35.exe. Select Option 1. Wait for CYT to provision the WRTP54G. The output for a successful provision will be fairly obvious. This process will take 1-2 minutes.

3. Open a new window and head over to »192.168.15.1/update.html. Login with Admin/Admin or admin/admin.

4. Locate the modified WRTP54G-NA 3.1.17 firmware and initiate the upgrade process. Wait a few minutes and the device will reset itself and take you back to the login page. Username and pass should be admin/admin. Ensure that the firmware is 3.1.17.

Congrats. You now have a fully unlocked WRTP54G!

asteriskloveerrr
@rogers.com

asteriskloveerrr to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088
Hi Phoenix2088, this is wonderful, I'm wondering is this method applying to RTP300 too? thanks for your instruction.

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

4 edits

Phoenix2088

said by asteriskloveerrr :

Hi Phoenix2088, this is wonderful, I'm wondering is this method applying to RTP300 too? thanks for your instruction.
Thanks, no problem. Yes this method will work for the RTP300, but some files need to be substituted. Other than that follow the directions above for the rest of the unlock procedure.

1. Download the following to replace the von10062.bin file contained in the ZIP archive at Step 1 - Part 3. Rename this new file back to von10062.bin. To ensure a proper download use a DOS prompt. The wr and rf files from the ZIP archive are still used for the RTP300.

»httpconfig.vonage.net/rt ··· 0327.img
or
tftp -i ls.tftp.vonage.net GET rt-11.1.0-r021-1.00.62-r060327.img

The DOS prompt will take 5-10 min. The file size is 3,866,632 bytes.

2. This is the RTP300-NA Firmware and will take the place of the firmware at Step 1 - Part 5 and Step 5 - Part 4. Go to the following website, locate and download the firmware. After that you must edit the file for it to run on the RTP300. Use a hex editor and change offset 0x17 from 4D to 4C and offset 0x3B0004 from 85 DA 20 BB to 3B A5 4D DA

»www.linksys.com/servlet/ ··· ondetail

P.S. - When using the hex editor simply overwrite the file once you are finished.

asteriskloveerrr
@olarship-match.net

asteriskloveerrr

Anon

it works, so far this is most perfect solution for vlocked WRTP54G/RTP300. millions thanks.
kcallis
join:2003-09-10
Alexander, AR

kcallis to Phoenix2088

to Phoenix2088
Once the change is made to unlock a Vonnage RTP300, do I lose all of my setting for the port 1 Vonnage information?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by kcallis:

Once the change is made to unlock a Vonnage RTP300, do I lose all of my setting for the port 1 Vonnage information?
You should not unlock your device which is currently in service with Vonage. Doing so may violate vonage TOS!
kcallis
join:2003-09-10
Alexander, AR

kcallis

I am not overly concerned with the TOS... What I am concerned about is that fact that I have an additional port that I could be using in conjunction with my asterisk box, and I have no access to make changes.
Unfortunately, I am stuck with Vonnage for historically reasons, but I really need access to my second port.
GrauerFuchs
join:2008-01-05

1 recommendation

GrauerFuchs

said by kcallis:

I am not overly concerned with the TOS... What I am concerned about is that fact that I have an additional port that I could be using in conjunction with my asterisk box, and I have no access to make changes.
Unfortunately, I am stuck with Vonnage for historically reasons, but I really need access to my second port.
You should be concerned about it. When Vonage pushes an update, it will (1) be rejected, or (2) overwrite your settings. They do have the ability to access information on the box, so if they feel you violated the TOS, they'll cancel your account, charge you termination for violation of the TOS, and the whole reason you stayed with them will go up in smoke.

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

1 edit

Phoenix2088 to kcallis

to kcallis
said by kcallis:

Yes, you will lose all settings. Do not do this procedure with a Vonage box that you are currently using, Vonage will not be able to re-provision it.

ncharpen
@acndigital.net

ncharpen to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088
This is great !!! I'm a novice network config guy. I just followed step by step the procedure and voila ! Million thanks. It worked great.

Kar
@comcast.net

Kar to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088

Re: [Unlock] TUTORIAL: VONAGE WRTP54G/RTP300 WITH 5.01.04

Hi, I just got a RTp300 and I am wondering what people are using the RTP300 for after unlocking it. Sorry for the newb question
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Kar :

Hi, I just got a RTp300 and I am wondering what people are using the RTP300 for after unlocking it. Sorry for the newb question
Use it as your router + VoIP to register to any BYOD VoSPs.
shycharles
join:2008-07-03
San Francisco, CA

shycharles to Phoenix2088

to Phoenix2088
I am a newbie in the Voip Unlocking world. You are telling the entire process, step by step marvelously. One thing you miss though is whether the device from Vonage (in my case RTP300) will be opened and we will be able to see the entire page with User id & Password, domain and port OR does this process wash every setting that was made by the provider and once we do it, we will just be able to use this device with other providers and not (or maybe) with Vonage? I understand your concern about legalities, which do not bother me as such. All I want to do it to be able to see the following:
User ID (generally 1+my Vonage phone number)
Password
Domain
Port (generally 5060 or 5061)
My Firmware version is 5.01.04 or maybe 5.01.14, basically it is the latest firmware. My understanding is that this information is contained under the disabled (by Vonage) Voice button on device's page.

Any help, and I will pray for you, your ancestors, and your later generations.

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

Phoenix2088

You will lose all settings and Vonage will not re-provision the device. This process should only be done with routers that are no longer being used with Vonage. Once the device is unlocked you can use it with any BYOD SIP based VoIP providers.

Unfortunately with 5.01.04, I am unaware of a process that will allow you to view the VoIP/SIP settings when the device is in use with Vonage.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Phoenix2088:

Unfortunately with 5.01.04, I am unaware of a process that will allow you to view the VoIP/SIP settings when the device is in use with Vonage.
Does anyone have the link to download v5.01.04 firmware for RTP300/WRTP54G/PAP2v2?

Schrody
@swbell.net

Schrody to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088
Thank you! My RTP300 has been collecting dust for years...now I might get some use from it again!
Schrody

Schrody to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088
Am I pointing to an ISP in India? (3B A5 4D DA)

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

1 edit

Phoenix2088

said by Schrody :

Am I pointing to an ISP in India? (3B A5 4D DA)
That is a hex edit that will allow the router to accept the non-Vonage firmware. Not too sure what you are trying to get at.
urskrishna
join:2008-10-22

urskrishna to Phoenix2088

to Phoenix2088

Could you please let me know how to change the values using Hex Editor, I've done all the changes until this step, mine is RTP300. I opened this Image file using the hex editor and I can see lot of values, but don't really know how and where to change it, please help
"Use a hex editor and change offset 0x17 from 4D to 4C and offset 0x3B0004 from 85 DA 20 BB to 3B A5 4D DA"

Neoheathen
@rr.com

Neoheathen to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088

Thanks for this. Just flashed an RTP300 that a friend gave me with no problem.

Barvinok
@volia.net

Barvinok to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088

I have RTP300 freshly disconnected from Vonage therefore safe to play with. I tried to do according to your guidelines.
So far I was only able to downgrade firmware from 5.xxx to 1.00.62. Logged in to the box, left browser open, then started CYT 4.6 but to no avail -- it simply stays at 'waiting for your device' forever...
Any help? Thanks in advance.

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

Phoenix2088

Try using CYT 3.5, the link is on the first page. I personally never had any luck with 4.6.

Barvinok
@volia.net

Barvinok

Anon

Tried CYT 3.5, but still no luck. It too hangs on 'waiting for your device' and nothing happens.
But what I'm actually looking for is the way to flash the box with OpenWRT, not necessarily to fully unlock it. It seems that ping-hack does the trick, and who cares about Admin password if it will be running non-Linksys firmware anyway.
Thanks for the tip though.
GrauerFuchs
join:2008-01-05

GrauerFuchs

OpenWRT may be capable of running, but it's still very preliminary for this platform. You also won't have any of the phone features at all in OpenWRT. So far, the FXS ports are not yet working on anything but the Linksys firmware.

Barvinok
@volia.net

Barvinok

Anon

I don't care about FXS, I just need this particular Linksys box to be able to run an ipip tunnel and a couple of VLANs. Just like my other WRT54GS do with FreeWRT. I'm pretty much aware of the situation with OpenWRT and TI AR7-based models, in fact, I was among the first to talk to guy who finally booted OpenWRT on WRTP54G and I'm actively working on it using his patches
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Barvinok :

..., in fact, I was among the first to talk to guy who finally booted OpenWRT on WRTP54G and I'm actively working on it using his patches
Were you saying your WRTP54G is running with OpenWRT? If so, that will be great. Perhaps, you guys need to download the Legerity GPLed driver source for the FXS port and start working on it. By any chance, did you know if anyone managed to run the OpenWRT for TI AR7 on a PAP2v2?

misterschaps
@gtdinternet.com

misterschaps to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088

Hi.
I´m having problems unlocking my wrtp54G from vonage.

I´ve followed the process by the book at least 20 times, and all the times, when transferring the file to the router, it reaches very fast about 94% (sometimes 93, sometimes 95), then goes veeeryyyyy slow for a few minutes, and then times out. Over and over, so I can´t get to the next step, which is watching the router installing the software.

Any hint?

THANKS!!

Dave.-

Phoenix2088
Strongsville, OH

Phoenix2088

said by misterschaps :

Hi.
I´m having problems unlocking my wrtp54G from vonage.

I´ve followed the process by the book at least 20 times, and all the times, when transferring the file to the router, it reaches very fast about 94% (sometimes 93, sometimes 95), then goes veeeryyyyy slow for a few minutes, and then times out. Over and over, so I can´t get to the next step, which is watching the router installing the software.

Any hint?

THANKS!!

Dave.-
That usually happens when the wireless is still running. Make sure that the wireless is off before performing the firmware update.

Guest08
@cox.net

Guest08 to Phoenix2088

Anon

to Phoenix2088

Works great! Thanks a lot Phoenix2088!!!