share rss forum feed

ajeb
Premium
join:2002-04-18
Norristown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to HiVolt

Re: [WCG] 8 Core Xeon not crunching at full capacity

Your using all cores so the system knows they're there. I can't see why the kernel would be written to handle them all.

How about the EFI firmware update?

»support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Repair permission?

»www.macworld.com/article/52220/2···ons.html

Just throwing out things now...lol.

I've been reading message boards for other projects using MAC and compiled a list of the stupid things.

Are you using local preferences or web preferences? Things seem to run better for most with setting the preferences on the website of the project not locally. I set that up using the custom option of device profile on the WCG website. I have two profiles, one for my MAC, the other for my PCs. I found that Protein folding took forever to run and blocked it running on the MAC.

Screen saver set to never?
Run always in activity pull down?

I'll keep looking.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

What i'll do when I have some free time is to install a fresh OS copy on a spare hard drive... I have a feeling it's got something to do with me just transferring the hard drive from the old Mac Pro.
--
,,!,,('-'),,!,,

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

Well, I had some free time today at work so I installed a clean copy of Leopard 10.5.4 (that came with the new Mac Pro). After installation, the first thing I did was Install Boinc...

After running the test benchmarks at 100% on all 8 cores, once all 8 work units of HCC populated the spots, it dropped down from 100% to 85%.

I'm at a loss for words. Is this beast of a machine simply not cut out for crunching? I don't get it...

Edit: I also have XP Pro installed on this machine, and I just rebooted into it and installed Boinc, and it's happily crunching on all 8 cores. WTF is wrong with the Mac version?
--
GO LEAFS GO!