Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Garage Door Alignment?

Good Morning All,

I've noticed over the past several months that my garage door has come slightly out of horizontal alignment. The right side sits a little lower than the left and touches the ground first. I didn't really care, because the left side still completely touched the ground and sealed properly.

However, as I was leaving for my run this morning, the garage door was closing and the right side came WAY down .... enough to stop the door and make it open back up. This happened in the top 1/3 of its way down.

What is the process for aligning the door? Is it something I can do, or will I need to contract it out?

If I need to provide additional info, let me know.

Thanks!
--
Linux Haters Unite!

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR
Mine did the same thing as yours. The problem was a lift cable had started to break and was stretching.
--
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Matt3
What type of garage door suspension do you have, tension rod or springs. I have the older springs and have noticed when one spring is not the same tension as the other (due to age and wear) it will cause the garage doors to move at a different speed. Pretty easy to fix, just buy new ones, but buy both at the same time.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to Matt3
It has a spring on each side of the door. One spring did look like it was wiggling a lot more, and you know what, it was the spring on the right side of the door, where the door is drooping.

My house was only built a year and a half ago, should they be doing this already? I'm betting they are just cheap springs? Any recommendations on brands to replace them with? The opener is an Overhead Door Legacy model.
--
Linux Haters Unite!

TJ_in_IL

join:2006-06-10
Winthrop Harbor, IL
Really has nothing to do with the opener. The springs should be replaced, though.
Hardware store or home center will have them. Make sure to replace both sides.

TJ

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to Matt3
If the spring itself did not break then the cable may have "slipped" on the one side.
The easiest way to balance the tension is measure the spring extension length with the door down, and adjust the cable accordingly so both have the same "stretch" from the anchor point.
If the spring itself broke, then replace both as a set. They are color coded, with a bit of paint usually on one end.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
As above posters have said, I would just replace the springs as a set, they are colorcoded depending on the weight of the door (remember to divide by 2 since you are using 2 springs to handle to door). I would also take the time now to lube any moving parts, just don't lube the track itself. You can find all of this at the depot type stores.

eatatjoz
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR
kudos:3
reply to Matt3
Your springs should still be fine and should continue to serve you well for another seven years or so.
I'd imagine that the knot in the cable just slipped a bit.

To adjust the door you'll need to raise it to the up position.
Clamp the door in place on both sides to a level position.
You'll then adjust the cable on the right side until it has about the same spring droop as the left one.
--
"I hope you did something important today, 'cause it cost ya another day of your life."