Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

[Verizon] Missing SMS delivery confirmation

Starting on Thurs, I'm no longer seeing delivery confirmations on any SMS text messages I send to other Verizon subs. I've confirmed this isn't an issue with my account as someone else actually pointed this out which is what caused me to look.

Looking at my history, the last one I sent that shows a delivery confirmation was 11:04pm ET on Wed 9/17. The next one I sent after that which doesn't show a delivery confirmation was 9:21am ET on Thurs 9/18. All sent messages after that don't show any delivery confirmation.

Any one noticing this? Is it a local (NYC, Northern NJ) issue? Was there some outage/announcement I missed?
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

Billa9b0ng
Premium
join:2002-04-08
Altoona, PA
I am experiencing some blackberry issues this morning, I'm with Verizon in central PA, I'm not sure what's going on.
--
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Billa9b0ng
Premium
join:2002-04-08
Altoona, PA
reply to GeekNJ
Although I made that post 'mid-battery pull' and my issues seem to be gone now. I did hear someone else at work talking about BB issues today though....
--
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
reply to Billa9b0ng
The SMS delivery issue I mentioned is not just on Blackberry devices. The same for non-Blackberry devices.

Would be nice if anyone said they are seeing them still or not seeing them when they used to.

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to GeekNJ
From reading other forums, it seems VZ is discontinuing this and all areas will be shutdown by the end of the month.

Stinks since I won't now be able to tell if the message was at least delivered to my wife or kids phone. Still wasn't able to tell if they viewed it, but at least I would know if their phone was on and received the message.

Going to mean more phone calls need to be made if I don't get a response when I text.
--

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to GeekNJ
this is really annoying. what would the reason be for doing it? fortunately, it still works for mms and for blackberry messenger.
--
Lets go Giants!!

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
In the other forums the speculation is the reduction in their network traffic that will occur by eliminating it. With what we all pay, you think they could put the $$ into supporting what we're paying for.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

this is really annoying. what would the reason be for doing it? fortunately, it still works for mms and for blackberry messenger.
It will effectively cut the number of 1kb text messages in half so if the users send a billion a year, the system was sending a response back to your phone making it 2 billion.
They claim it will save them $58 million in "costs".

I believe that sending PIN messages from BB to BB will still show the Delivery receipt since that is a Blackberry feature but it applies only to people who have Blackberries.

I'm only the messenger here......

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
I wonder how many extra "Hey, did you get my text?" messages will replace the delivery notification? Or the actual voice call that needs to take place (no charge to the customer) vs a quick text? Maybe it won't save anything.

Today I also just received 1 of my 2 Verizon wireless bills. There's no notification whatsoever in it. The customer service rep I chatted with online this morning indicated that since 9/9, people have begun being notified. I know I haven't received any such notification.
--

LOTM

@qwest.net
reply to GeekNJ
Is this really even an event? Do people actually look at that confirmation? I have been an avid texter for years without checking for confirmation. I has never worked for of network deliveries and they always show up. This is a silly thing to worry about. If big red can save 58 million by doing this god bless them for trying to cut costs so that they have more money to pay for network improvement, new service development and other things that people might actually use.

Cryptic

@rr.com
said by LOTM :

Do people actually look at that confirmation?
Yes, I do, I check it alot because some places smsing gets a faster message to a coworker than email, and time may be important. 15 minutes can be a huge difference, and if theres no confidence in the message having reached them, it makes it hard to judge what I should be using to get that message to them.

And for those that say "just call them", there are places and environments that making a call can be impractical or dangerous where smsing wouldnt be as much so.

luna

@optonline.net
reply to GeekNJ
Verizon will be giving us back our checks by first of the month. My check mark confirmation ended on friday, as well as all of my friends. I spoke to a verizon rep thru verizonwireless.com and he said they have received so many complains that they will be returning the checks by the first of October.

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
said by luna :

Verizon will be giving us back our checks by first of the month. My check mark confirmation ended on friday, as well as all of my friends. I spoke to a verizon rep thru verizonwireless.com and he said they have received so many complains that they will be returning the checks by the first of October.
Don't believe that for all the tea in China.
Those reps will say anything to get you off the phone. The confirmations are gone....a thing of the past.

verizon82

@thomaspublishing.com
reply to GeekNJ
I am having the same issue - as of late last week I am not seeing a delivered message (check mark) on texts that in fact were delivered to other Verizon users (I know they were delivered because I received replies). However, I am still getting delivered check marks for some people...very annoying!

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to GeekNJ
Mine are still showing, but I definitely do take a look at this and find it very helpful and convenient to know if someone has gotten my message.

I trust that the message will be delivered, but my biggest concern with it is finding out if someones phone is on/off and the message was delivered to them yet.
--
Why not?

ddd

@utc.com
reply to GeekNJ
im from the bronx and mine stopped last thursday as well for all my nyc text messages. i still get a few confirmation on ppl who do not have nyc area codes.

legendNYC
Life Itself
Premium
join:2003-06-04
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to GeekNJ
BBR News of Sept. 20th:

»Verizon Ends SMS Delivery Confirmations

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to GeekNJ
Wow...I didn't even know such a thing as delivery confirmation existed for SMS until everyone started raising a stink about it being shut off on Verizon. Is it on by default, or is it something you have to turn on? We used to have Verizon for our mobile service at work, and I don't ever recall receiving a confirmation message any time I sent a text to anyone. Is Verizon the only one that does this? We're now with Alltel, and I've never gotten confirmations on texts with Alltel either. For my personal mobile service I use AT&T, and they've never had anything like this either.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
said by scots:

Wow...I didn't even know such a thing as delivery confirmation existed for SMS...
It may be possible, but in the case of this thread, it's only referring to VZW-to-VZW text messages. Since it's "internal", VZW knows if the other handset rec'd the message or not. If a message is sent to a non-VZW phone, they either don't know, can't know, or don't enable the feature.

Look at a *sent* message and see if there's something like "Message info" or "Status" and see if it tells you anything. Send a message to an Alltel customer and one to a non-Alltel customer and see if different info is available.

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
Yes. It's not like a read receipt on email where you get an entirely new message in return, but at least with the phones I've used it somehow indicates it on the message you sent - whether it be a different icon, or it may explicitly say Sent 12:00:01 Delivered 12:00:13...something like that.

I guess it's subtle, if you don't know its there.

Kaite

@comcast.net
reply to NY Tel
That's not necessarily true. I've heard numerous people say they've spoken with verizon reps and they've all been told that it will be back on October first due to so many complaints.

jorbabiii

@comcast.net
reply to GeekNJ
THEY ARE BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
They are back this morning (not last night) in Northern NJ. It was shut off the same time as NYC so I'd imagine NYC is back too. I can check later.

GeekNJ
Premium
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NY Tel
said by NY Tel:

Those reps will say anything to get you off the phone. The confirmations are gone....a thing of the past.
At least right now they are back. For how long, we'll have to see.
--

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

said by GeekNJ:

said by NY Tel:

At least right now they are back. For how long, we'll have to see.
My faith in my former employer is completely restored now......lol

itskn0

@optonline.net
reply to GeekNJ
As of today VZW appears to have reinstated delivery confirmation, I work for an indirect agent and had a lot of angry people come in thinking texts weren't working, i told them to call cust. svc. and complain, i guess they weren't the only ones

iamqwerty

@intellispace.net
reply to GeekNJ
I still don't have my checks...:(

iamqerty

@intellispace.net
I do have them after updating my phone. *228 send
yeah!!!!

Dz3zzz

@verizon.net
yay lol
i was so excited they were baq