spc
Search similar:

uniqs
biking_brian
join:2008-09-20
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

Interruption in Internet Service with "Express ISP Change"

I placed an order for an "Express ISP Change" from Verizon to DSLX on 9/11. A couple of days ago my Verizon service stopped working, yet the DSLX isn't online yet, so I have no internet for the transition. The order is still showing as pending - after a phone call to billing I found out my activation date is 9/24.

I'm in a small town (population 3000) with one CO, and another subscriber in town tells me there is a known issue with the lines at the CO, but apparently the only one who can work the issue with Verizon is Tier 2 support - yet I can't get to Tier 2 with a pending order. Any suggestions?

TE
I must crunch
join:2006-05-07
Yorba Linda, CA

TE

Did you cancel your Verizon service? IIRC, you cancel your existing service only after your new service is up and running. You might still be a Verizon customer and can call them for support.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

I didn't cancel the Verizon service yet, I believe I'm supposed to wait until the transition is complete. I'm concerned about calling Verizon for support because I don't want them to undo anything that DSLX is doing to get me service.

BTW, I got a email response from tech support: "If your activation date is on the 24th..Then we would have to wait..Most Likely your line is in the transition of being switched over to us...Please be patient". Well, I don't mind the new service starting on 9/24, but I find it less than acceptable that I have to be without internet for a week!

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

If you didn't cancel it your Verizon DSL should be working still.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

I was just checking the status of my ticket online and it has disappeared. It doesn't even show up as "pending" or "closed" - it has just vanished. So far I'm not too happy with their service.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

Hi Brian,

As Lanik See Profile mentioned, if your activation date isn't until the 24th, we would haven't control of your line until then. There is little that we can do prior to the activation date. That being said I would be happy to take a look at your account for you. Please send me a PM with your account information and I can take a look.

Thanks
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

I didn't quite get that from Lanik's post, I had just assumed my Verizon DSL stopped working because DSLX was starting the switchover. My apologies if I am incorrect with that assumption. Account info sent via PM, thanks!

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

Until your line is activated with DSLX you should be using your Verizon DSL. That's what I was implying in my post which George picked up on.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

1 edit

biking_brian

I placed the order with DSLX on 9/11. My Verizon uses DHCP, and since my understanding is that DSLX also uses DHCP, I wouldn't need to make any changes to my modem/router configuration, so I planned to use my Verizon DSL until it automatically switched over to DSLX. But on 9/17 I lost my internet connection - the router now shows I have an IP address in the format of 10.X.X.X. Given that DSLX advertises an express changeover with little interruption in service, the timing of the lost connection 6 days after signing up with DSLX, the forecast activation date of 9/24, and my info from a fellow subscriber that there is a known issue with the lines at the CO in town - I figured that the loss in service was due to a glitch in the changeover process. Sure, it is quite possible that DSLX hadn't gotten to my order yet, and the Verizon DSL had stopped working independently of the DSLX order, but I figured that was highly unlikely - and that calling Verizon tech support would complicate the changeover process.
biking_brian

1 edit

biking_brian

Well, today is 9/24, the promised activation date, and I now have internet service! The only thing I don't know is whether it's the old Verizon or the new DSLX. My IP address is 71.105.XXX.XXX, is there any way to tell from that?

Zak_D_H
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Salt Lake City, UT

2 edits

Zak_D_H

Premium Member

You should be able to check the IP here.

»centralops.net/asp/co/Ns ··· .vbs.asp

alternatively

»whatismyipaddress.com/ (there is a link to look up the IP and it gives more info about the provider)

Last edit: You can also send me your account info and I can pull it up and see if you are connecting through us.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

I checked earlier today and it was a Verizon IP address. I lost the Verizon connection again late this afternoon, there must be something going on?

Zak_D_H
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

Zak_D_H

Premium Member

Hello,

Can you send me your account info in a PM/IM so I can take a look at the account settings? If you were finally moved over from VZ network to DSLE network and you were PPPoE and are now DHCP you may need to change settings in your modem or router.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

VZ in Southern California is DHCP, so I wouldn't have to change modem/router settings, right? Anyway, I'll send account info via PM.

Zak_D_H
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

1 recommendation

Zak_D_H

Premium Member

Hi Biking_brian

I had to wave a magic wand and sprinkle some pixy dust but you should be up and running on the DSLEXTREME network now. Let me know if you are having any trouble.
biking_brian
Wrightwood, CA

biking_brian

I am now up and running and connected via DSLX, thanks for seeing this through!