spc
Search similar:

uniqs

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one

Anon

New college degree after 40

I think I know the answer. However, is there any degree worth getting after 40. I do have a degree now but hardly using it. Looking for a fresh start. I believe the answer is too little too late. Still my main concern is a new job with air conditioning I do well into my 60s.
My current industry has no future or at least my company and movement up at my company currently has 50/50 chance. Fifty chance stay and get kicked in teeth. Fifty you are shown the door.
My current position is not one I want or maybe can do at 65. With little chance of current upward movement for others not just me time for a change even if too late.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

It is never too late to go back to school. If you are not sure what you are interested in, go over to your local college and investigate.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to no_one

MVM

to no_one
Do you actually need another degree, or just some training in something else? That's what you should figure out.

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

Mickeyme3 to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
Beck got a good idea.
Just figure out what you want to do and go to a trade/speciality school for it.
Unless you have a couple years to get a degree from a college.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
My uncle went back to school after 40. Got his bba, and mba is now a part time professor at a university.

He left his job after 20 something years when they moved to a different state.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
What is your present degree and industry?

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to no_one

Anon

to no_one
My present degree and work employment are not the same. My current work employment is telecom and my current company is in a death spiral, has been for awhile.
My degree which due to earlier life stuff has not really been used and is in accounting.
I know I need a change. If I do not do it myself now it will be forced on me later.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
My friends mom went back to school, got her B.A., and her teaching degree, all while she was over 40. This friend of mine, she just started school, and looking at a few years of school and a Ph'D, all good considering she's like 35 and without graduating high school.

It's never too late.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
It's never too late for a degree or a change of professions. After growing tired of electrical engineering after 30 years (BS in Physics, MS in EE), my dad earned his JD (full-time) at 53 and joined a firm. Granted, it was a little pricier than the sports car many people opt for at mid-life...
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt to no_one

to no_one
My original boss' daughter used to be a bleach blond bank teller. When she was about 40 she attended law school and is now a professional looking attorney.

My brother got into a tool and die apprenticeship when he graduated from high school, and he worked his way up programming the machines, purchasing, made some good investments, and bought the home we grew up in when our dad was transferred while I was still in college. When they would not give him a raise he retired at the age of 32, over 20 years ago.

So at age 40 there is still time to make a change.

heliox
Not at the table Carlos.
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
Corona, CA

1 edit

heliox to no_one

Premium Member

to no_one
I'm starting my MBA soon, I'm 44.

I was halfway done with a PhD in physiology when the private sector called. I feel no qualms about doing it switching (well maybe a few).

Look at it this way (as told to me by my mentor). The time is going to pass anyway, may as well take classes.
TODDRICK
join:2001-08-27
Milwaukee, WI

TODDRICK to no_one

to no_one
Clean work, air conditioned environment, appx 120k start plus hefty sign on bonus, good bennies and head hunter calls till you wish they would stop for awhile.
6 years of school needed.
Sound reasonable?
Consider Pharmacy, the profession is VERY short of licensed Pharmacists and demand will continue.
My father is retired but has kept his licenses active. He is 81 years old and gets head hunter calls weekly. Calls go along this line. Could you work full time, part time, part of a day or two a week, do you know anyone who would be interested, if THEY sign on and stay 6 months YOU will get a (generally 5-8k) referral bonus.
Food for thought.
Todd

Boz
@swbell.net

Boz to no_one

Anon

to no_one
I never got a bachelors degree (long story) but when I went to a major University in 1988 there was a 75 year old man living in our dorm room working on a bachelors degree.

His wife had died years before and he was doing it for fun I think. Hard to forget that. It was weird but cool.

heliox
Not at the table Carlos.
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
Corona, CA

heliox to TODDRICK

Premium Member

to TODDRICK
I've hear of some private pharmacies giving out leases on cars (Audie TT, BMWs etc) for signing on. CVS, Walgreens etc is cake walk compared to hospital pharmacists.

I think after 6years of school, and the responsibility, they deserve it.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD to no_one

Anon

to no_one
Schooling, training, etc are always beneficial, but (speaking from experience) it will be harder since you're over 40. For employers, you'll be in a protected class, and a pain to get rid of even it at-will states, and they'll view that as a negative.

I don't mean to be a downer though, just make sure you find something you like and run with it.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

Lest we forgot to discriminate against an employee based on age is a violation of the ADEA. No employer in their right mind rejects qualified applicants, hell we had one employee working for us who recently died, and he worked 44 years for the firm.

Pabber
@genpt.com

Pabber to no_one

Anon

to no_one
I am 44 years old. I received a BS degree in Computer Science in 1988. I've worked my way up to Sr. Systems Analyst, making a good salary. I'm tired of working with machines ONLY with little human interaction. I am going back to school starting this January. I will become a Registered Nurse. It will take me over 3 years to earn my BSN. I am so ready, and excited to be doing something new.
Pabber

Pabber to no_one

Anon

to no_one
I am 44 years old. I received a BS degree in Computer Science in 1988. I've worked my way up to Sr. Systems Analyst, making a good salary. I'm tired of working with machines ONLY with little human interaction. I am going back to school starting this January. I will become a Registered Nurse. It will take me over 3 years to earn my BSN. I am so ready, and excited to be doing something new.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

r81984 to heliox

Premium Member

to heliox
said by heliox:

I think after 6years of school, and the responsibility, they deserve it.
Hahahahahaha.
I worked at Walgreen's the pharmacists deserve nothing. They get to be glorified pill counters. The pharmacy tecs do all the work for $10 an hour while the Pharmacists barerly does anything for $100K a year. Pharmacy school is a waste of time for those in retail, they never use their degrees. I am not saying it is a bad thing, but they definately do not deserve the money they make.
All my friends in pharmacy want to do research because they say retail is boring and a waste of their education.

You should definately pick something specific. I would stay away from management, financial degrees or MBAs. There are way too many managers out there and not enough people who know how to work. Also it seems there are many financial workers with lots of experience without jobs right now.

If you like networks you could try a 2 year degree for network administration. I think they have a huge shortage of admins. Engineering would be good too.

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to no_one

Anon

to no_one
Not necessarily for me but keep the thread going. I feel outdated, The posts here do not make me feel old and not hireable. Thanks,
no_one

no_one to no_one

Anon

to no_one
Went to ASU to see about refreshing my degree. It can be done. The adviser made some recommendations etc. However, he keep mentioning the degree has not been used in 19 years. Really 17 . He is not even doing hiring just university advising. He kept saying employers are going to ask. Sort of implying only the 20 somethings get jobs why bother.
Reason for the college is need a few courses for refresher and a few new ones for CPA if I can pass.
Going to do I think it is Becker review online. Go from there.