SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to hopeflicker

Premium Member

to hopeflicker

Re: It seems to me...

makes ya wonder what it would cost them to just upgrade their network instead...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

There would be a substantial difference in what it would cost to implement QOS vs. building out more infrastructure.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

jlivingood to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72
said by tiger72:

makes ya wonder what it would cost them to just upgrade their network instead...
The new congestion management system does NOT substitute for or obviate the need for normal network upgrades - so you are correct. Growing and upgrading our network continues as a normal course of business.

We continue to improve the network in accordance with our plans, including node splits, our rollout of DOCSIS 3.0, etc. One of the reasons we believe our new congestion management practices affect so few users* is because our capacity management model and processes are working well.

* The average percentage of customers that had their traffic managed on any particular day ranged from 0.09% to 0.60% in our trial markets. There were some days in each market where no customer traffic was affected.

Jason
Comcast
National Engineering & Technical Operations

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

Cabal to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72
Network traffic grows to fill all available pipes until a constraint is hit, unless instructed otherwise. That's how TCP/IP was designed. Widening the pipe just means a larger pipe to congest.
willp1
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Las Cruces, NM

willp1 to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I would like see the actual figures not the one what comcast came up with. After all the experience with Comcast. I believe they live in fantasy world...

cho0b
join:2006-09-26
united state

cho0b to battleop

to battleop
That's right! And it would actually be WORTH IT to do the latter!

Let's not split hairs here; These ISPs are NOT losing money due to high bandwidth users. They are trying to SQUEEZE every penny they can out of customers without keeping the service up to speed with world standards.

Sooner or later they will be tripping over themselves because of the piss poor infrastructure maintenance while trying to catch up to the few providers that are investing in their companies.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I appreciate you stopping by and providing more specific details on this new plan. It's a step in the right direction, in my opinion.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to willp1

Premium Member

to willp1
You're welcome to either apply for a job there or buy the company; otherwise it's none of your business.
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

1 recommendation

SilverSurfer1 to jlivingood

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

We continue to improve the network in accordance with our plans, including node splits, our rollout of DOCSIS 3.0, etc. One of the reasons we believe our new congestion management practices affect so few users* is because our capacity management model and processes are working well.
Do you get paid extra for monitoring sites like this one and spewing feel-good Comcrap PR, or do you do it for free?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop to cho0b

to cho0b
Piss poor infrastructure maintenance is running an un-managed network. Good network management is running is managing your network elements while adding capacity at a rate your finances will allow.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

LeftOfSanity

Wasting your breath on that one. lol

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to SilverSurfer1

Premium Member

to SilverSurfer1
said by SilverSurfer1:
said by jlivingood:

Do you get paid extra for monitoring sites like this one and spewing feel-good Comcrap PR, or do you do it for free?
Ha, funny. I just work in engineering (ask Robb - met him f2f at an IETF workshop at MIT) and my interest is in seeing that the technical information about this program is accurate and correct since it is one of the projects I am a part of.

Take care,
Jason
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

SilverSurfer1

said by jlivingood:

[...] my interest is in seeing that the technical information about this program is accurate and correct since it is one of the projects I am a part of.

Notwithstanding your happy face benevolence, your comments are still just an attempt to spread warm-fuzzy corporate BS approved by Comcrap. You ain't foolin' anyone around these here parts but the corporate shills, bud.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Are Comcast HSI business users throttled?

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

S_engineer to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by tiger72:

The new congestion management system does NOT substitute for or obviate the need for normal network upgrades - so you are correct.
"The new congestion management system" = the Comcast Consumer Contract Circumvention Method!

Comcast..."we oversold it, now you cant use it as much!"

hopeflicker
Capitalism breeds greed
Premium Member
join:2003-04-03
Long Beach, CA

hopeflicker

Premium Member

said by S_engineer:

said by jlivingood:

said by tiger72:

The new congestion management system does NOT substitute for or obviate the need for normal network upgrades - so you are correct.
Comcast..."we oversold it, now you cant use it as much!"
LMAO

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium Member
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
They too busy spending the money on 'social websites', Buildings, extravagant lcd displays, ceos and the like to really invest in what is necessary or practical
FreedomBuild

FreedomBuild to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
everyone gets throttled no matter what...save your PR BS for someone that doesn't know any better... I have seen and experienced the degradation of my service for the last 9 months even with a supposed upgrade in tier speed that I pay for since the switch from Insightbb.

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair to tiger72

Premium Member

to tiger72
said by tiger72:

Because there is a huge difference between capex and opex. Understand the reason for that and the answer as to why they're doing what they're doing becomes quite clear.

Wayne
Expand your moderator at work