Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Fugly

Like I said in an earlier thread, that home screen is atrocious. It looks like a bad mashup of Google Gadgets and iGoogle. Even the phone looks like it was culled from an early 90's electronics stack. What's with the MicroTac looking greyish-black plastic and early 80's buttons?

Yuck. No wonder they only released this on the smallish T-Mobile.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

But at least they are free of the 'jail' of Apple's iPhone.
Linux platform will be a good thing.

Hopefully I could get this with a console, SSH, X11, etc.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by en102:

But at least they are free of the 'jail' of Apple's iPhone.
Linux platform will be a good thing.

Hopefully I could get this with a console, SSH, X11, etc.
I would imagine you can. You can do all that on a WinMo phone now. My original thought still stands. As of right now, I'd only choose this if there were absolutely no other smart phone options. The phone has no compelling features and is on the smallest GSM network.

I think that lacking any app store oversight is going to fracture the market just like the Linux market currently is. Linux does a lot of things well, but continuity is NOT one of them. I can't wait until the malicious apps start arriving too.

While I'm no Apple fanboy (and I generally loath them) monitoring and approving the apps in the app store is completely necessary.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by Matt3:

I would imagine you can. You can do all that on a WinMo phone now. My original thought still stands. As of right now, I'd only choose this if there were absolutely no other smart phone options. The phone has no compelling features and is on the smallest GSM network.
Any data to back this up?
said by Matt3:

I think that lacking any app store oversight is going to fracture the market just like the Linux market currently is. Linux does a lot of things well, but continuity is NOT one of them. I can't wait until the malicious apps start arriving too.

While I'm no Apple fanboy (and I generally loath them) monitoring and approving the apps in the app store is completely necessary.
Maybe you would want to read this story about how Apple really has no rules set in place for apps for the iPhone.

»bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· -policy/

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

That blog is a bit inaccurate. Pandora doesn't compete with the iTunes Store as you can't store the songs you are listening to. It's streamed. And why would Apple squash Pandora when you can go right to iTunes from the application?

Weak argument.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by ptrowski:

That blog is a bit inaccurate. Pandora doesn't compete with the iTunes Store as you can't store the songs you are listening to. It's streamed. And why would Apple squash Pandora when you can go right to iTunes from the application?

Weak argument.
Nope, Apple is holding back a few applications because they do not like them.

I also know of at least one application that is free but very buggy (it has locked my friend's iPhone multiple times.) It is called Flashlight and when it shows an animation of a lighter, it tends to freeze the entire thing. Guess they didn't test that app too well.

Will there be problems with 3rd party apps? Of course. At least people will be free to develop them without prior permission.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:
said by ptrowski:

Weak argument.
Nope, Apple is holding back a few applications because they do not like them.

I also know of at least one application that is free but very buggy (it has locked my friend's iPhone multiple times.) It is called Flashlight and when it shows an animation of a lighter, it tends to freeze the entire thing. Guess they didn't test that app too well.

Will there be problems with 3rd party apps? Of course. At least people will be free to develop them without prior permission.
You missed my point.
They used Pandora as an example, which was flawed for the reasons I stated. I have Flashlightand am looking at the lighter right now, and have never had a lockup on that.

Yes some apps will slip through the crack and I am sure Apple is holding some back for various reasons.

But to use Pandora as an example was piss poor.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:
said by Matt3:

Any data to back what up? That you can do SSH/X11 on a WinMo phone?

»www.google.com/search?cl ··· e+Search
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by Matt3:

said by moonpuppy:
said by Matt3:

Any data to back what up? That you can do SSH/X11 on a WinMo phone?

»www.google.com/search?cl ··· e+Search
Any data to back up the smallest GSM network?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Are you seriously trying to say their GSM network is larger than AT&T's? Or are you fishing for a pointless technicality by pulling some regional carrier out of your ass?

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

en102 to Matt3

to Matt3
Smallest GSM (GSM = a good thing!) network is probably Commnet, or Centennial. SoCal T-Mobile coverage is VERY good.

There are very few appealing WinMo phones right now that offer both WiFi and 3G. HTC Tilt is one (QVGA only ) and HTC Diamond is the other.. but its on Sprint - no ease of SIM card use there, and Sprint isn't exactly my carrier of choice.
Tilt apps were also VERY slow.
en102

en102 to Matt3

to Matt3
SSH can be done... PuTTy (Pocket PuTTy) exists.
I have run SSH on my Nexthell (ugh) Blackberry 7100i.
X11 is most likely not available.
Easier to run Remote Desktop and connect to a remote server running X11.... but a nice thing to have for work.
Port forwarding over SSH is a requirement for me though.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by en102:

SSH can be done... PuTTy (Pocket PuTTy) exists.
I have run SSH on my Nexthell (ugh) Blackberry 7100i.
X11 is most likely not available.
Easier to run Remote Desktop and connect to a remote server running X11.... but a nice thing to have for work.
Port forwarding over SSH is a requirement for me though.
I use zaTelnet Pro for SSH.

phoneboy3
@shawcable.net

phoneboy3 to en102

Anon

to en102
Amen brother. Your preaching to the choir.

Small steps my friends....small steps.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to Matt3

to Matt3
Then install Linux.
patcat88

patcat88 to en102

to en102
You wouldn't want to run X11 over a cellphone connection. X Windows sucks in general because of its bloat and many layers. Use VNC. Its tolerable over EVDO/3G. Your handset's CPU is more important for VNC than your 3G connection's speed. I found I had to overclock my PDA to use VNC at any reasonable speed.

en102
Canadian, eh?
Valencia, CA

en102

I've typically used the following combo:

SSH --> server (tunnel X11, Remote Desktop, 8080, etc.)
Remote Desktop (127.0.0.1:3389)

Remote server runs the X11 session.

Site/servers don't use VNC (policy).
en102

en102 to Matt3

to Matt3
There are only 2 national GSM networks.
Much like there are only 2 national CDMA networks (Alltel isn't a national carrier by definition, and will become one with the borg that is Verizon Wireless soon).
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by moonpuppy:

Are you seriously trying to say their GSM network is larger than AT&T's? Or are you fishing for a pointless technicality by pulling some regional carrier out of your ass?
I am not saying anything. I want to see the hard data. Anyone can make claims. I am interested in clear evidence of who is bigger and reaches more people.
moonpuppy

moonpuppy (banned) to en102

to en102
said by en102:

There are only 2 national GSM networks.
Much like there are only 2 national CDMA networks (Alltel isn't a national carrier by definition, and will become one with the borg that is Verizon Wireless soon).
Soon to be one if Sprint continues on their downward slide.
moonpuppy

moonpuppy (banned) to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

You missed my point.
They used Pandora as an example, which was flawed for the reasons I stated. I have Flashlightand am looking at the lighter right now, and have never had a lockup on that.

Yes some apps will slip through the crack and I am sure Apple is holding some back for various reasons.

Want another example? How about this:
It’s a timely argument, because Apple has been a bit heavy-handed with its popular gadget lately. We already knew about the iPhone’s basic restrictions: AT&T (T) is the exclusive U.S. carrier, Apple is the only company allowed to make iPhones, and Apple itself decides which programs you can legitimately download and install through its App Store. But in recent weeks, Apple’s inner control freak has grown especially active.

It began in August, when Apple’s App Store police rejected programs including “I Am Rich,” which was little more than a very expensive picture for $999; NetShare, which turned the iPhone into a modem; and Murderdrome, a violent digital comic book.

But a real backlash began a few days ago, when Apple nixed Podcaster, a program that lets people directly download shows without going through Apple’s iTunes. The app didn’t seem to violate any of Apple’s published rules – so why was it tossed?
»bigtech.blogs.fortune.cn ··· -iphone/

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:
said by ptrowski:

You missed my point.

Want another example? How about this:
It’s a timely argument, because Apple has been a bit heavy-handed with its popular gadget lately. We already knew about the iPhone’s basic restrictions: AT&T (T) is the exclusive U.S. carrier, Apple is the only company allowed to make iPhones, and Apple itself decides which programs you can legitimately download and install through its App Store. But in recent weeks, Apple’s inner control freak has grown especially active.

It began in August, when Apple’s App Store police rejected programs including “I Am Rich,” which was little more than a very expensive picture for $999; NetShare, which turned the iPhone into a modem; and Murderdrome, a violent digital comic book.

But a real backlash began a few days ago, when Apple nixed Podcaster, a program that lets people directly download shows without going through Apple’s iTunes. The app didn’t seem to violate any of Apple’s published rules – so why was it tossed?
»bigtech.blogs.fortune.cn ··· -iphone/
I Am Rich? Of course that would be pulled! I wonder how many people thought it was $9.99 and not $999. But it made it onto the app store for a while. Netshare was probably driven by AT&T to be pulled. Podcaster I could see, but again complaining that something that circumvents Apples software in theory got pulled is kind of silly as you know it would be gone at some point. Look at PhoneSaber, that was pulled due to "copyright" issues.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:
said by Matt3:
said by moonpuppy:

I am not saying anything. I want to see the hard data. Anyone can make claims. I am interested in clear evidence of who is bigger and reaches more people.
The evidence is out there. I found it yesterday. I'm not doing your research for you.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

Like I said in an earlier thread, that home screen is atrocious. It looks like a bad mashup of Google Gadgets and iGoogle.
You do realize that the screen is completely user-configurable? You can make it look as you wish, customizing it to your own tastes.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:
said by Matt3:

Like I said in an earlier thread, that home screen is atrocious. It looks like a bad mashup of Google Gadgets and iGoogle.
You do realize that the screen is completely user-configurable? You can make it look as you wish, customizing it to your own tastes.
I assumed as much. But customize with what, more Google gadgets? If that is what they decided to show off the new OS with ... well, I hope the sophomore efforts are better.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

I assumed as much. But customize with what, more Google gadgets? If that is what they decided to show off the new OS with ... well, I hope the sophomore efforts are better.
Are you as pessimistic about other companies/products? Having seen the phone in person, you can do just about anything with the home screen you want, you can put in custom icons, backgrounds, whatever apps you choose. If that isn't good enough for you, then perhaps nobody pleases you?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

Matt3

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:
said by Matt3:

Are you as pessimistic about other companies/products? Having seen the phone in person, you can do just about anything with the home screen you want, you can put in custom icons, backgrounds, whatever apps you choose. If that isn't good enough for you, then perhaps nobody pleases you?
Generally yes. I just don't think this is anything to write home about. The home screen is ugly and I'd have to spend time "customizing it" or installing apps that don't exist and if they do, may cost money or be malicious.

Then, there is the look of the actual phone itself. It looks like it was ripped straight of the 90's minus the screen.

I have no desire to own this phone. It looks amateurish and if you read about it, is heavily tied into Google.

I'm hoping other manufactures will jump on board with much more modern, up-to-date designs and put a bit more effort into the out of the box look.

»gizmodo.com/5053734/how- ··· the-time

That article articulates my feelings exactly.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

I doubt you're ever pleased with anything if you expect every manufacturer to read your mind and produce something that satisfies your every particular design requirement "out of the box". I think you have a preconceived bias against the product and simply grasp whatever you can to justify that.

You've never spent time customizing any interface on anything?

My friend with an iPhone had to purchase/download/install several apps and spend time uploading pics and music to get his just the way he wanted. I guess you consider that to be a failure as well?

I have trouble appreciating the opinion of someone who seems impossible to please.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

I have trouble appreciating the opinion of someone who seems impossible to please.
I'm HARD to please. There's a difference. I LOVE my Moto Q9c. Out of the box it worked wonderfully.

The amount of customization it would take to make that thing usable in its current form is not time I'm willing to invest. I'm not the only one who feels that way. Read the article I linked.