Provoice just DO it

join:2003-07-29
Mulberry, FL

How to screw up a phone launch 101:

1) GSM
2) TMobile
3) 1GB Cap

Next.....

For a German company, the US divsion needs some serious input from Das Vaterland.

floepie

join:2005-12-01

Re: How to screw up a phone launch 101:

Not to worry about the cap. T-Mobile hasn't figured out how to clamp down on all the T-Zones ($5/mo.) users who use that service on their iphones. They certainly won't find a way to a.) monitor data usage and b.) have QOS in place to throttle speed.

This is just a scare tactic.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by floepie:

This is just a scare tactic.
As in scaring people away from buying it? They may have very well succeeded with such a low cap.
--
"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org
projectrice

join:2008-09-21
1)CDMA
2)1GB Cap
3)Slower than 3.5g speeds

Fixed
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

ATT and TM are years behind in their 3G rollouts. Verizon is 90% 3G. Sprint is 75% 3G. ATT is nothing more than a bunch of dots around the downtowns of cities. T-Mobile, who knows, they hide their 3G maps.

kamm

join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY
said by rec9140:

1) GSM
ROFLM - so far GSM worked FAR BETTER worldwide than any shitty US-only (and some Asian) craptastic network and BTW, 3G/HSDPA is not GSM, it's WCDMA.

quote:
2) TMobile

TMO used to have the best CS so I'm not sure about this...

quote:
3) 1GB Cap

Certainly true, I agree.

Next.....

For a German company, the US divsion needs some serious input from Das Vaterland.
I think if they are smart they will just fuckin sell it to some loser US investor - assuming there's any left after the past weeks...
--
[BQUOTE=[user=bicker]]Waaaa waaaa waaaa. You just want what you want and don't care to factor in what is right or true. Your perspectives are un-American, and deserve far more ridicule than I'm prepared to pile on them.
[/BQUOTE]

ReVeLaTeD
Premium
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA

T-mobile no longer has the best customer service. They're unsatisfactory with the BBB, and change policies midstream without informing customers.

Just a year and a half ago I had to do a number change for nuisance (survey) calls. I got charged but when I called back for a separate matter, the guy told me it could have been waived. Just recently, on a different line of service, I needed to do a number change and they wanted to charge $15. For me to be getting charged for calls I didn't ask for (I haven't given my cell # to anyone except two friends for text messaging, I use GrandCentral on applications), and then to be charged a fee to stop it, is absolutely unacceptable.

I escalated to "Executive Relations" where the chick proceeded to argue and lecture me about the fact that "It's not T-mobile's fault you're getting the calls". It is if you refuse to stop it knowing I get charged regardless unless I don't answer - which means I might miss critical calls.

T-mobile is bottom of the rung on customer service now. They used to be great back in 2005. Dunno what happened; big business I suppose. The only reason I stay with them is their BlackBerry Minutes & Mail package which no other carrier comes remotely close to, dollars to dollars.
EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA
Oh, yeah, GSM works so much better, that's why the CDMA carriers top network reliability and customer satisfaction charts more often than the GSM ones.

The reason CDMA isn't as widespread as GSM has NOTHING to do with the underlying technologies and everything to do with corporate drama between Nokia, Qualcomm, the EU, and a few others.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it

Mulberry, FL

said by EPS4:
The reason CDMA isn't as widespread as GSM has NOTHING to do with the underlying technologies and everything to do with corporate drama between Nokia, Qualcomm, the EU, and a few others.
DING! DING! DING! DING!

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!!!

This boils down to:

1) Qualcomm US based CDMA
2) ANTI US bias
3) PTT bureaucrats who are
a)NOT ENGINEERS
b)CORRUPT
c) ANTI US
making a choice on the network.

Well guess who gets the last laugh, CDMA. All the GSM gear, scrap for UMTS which is W C D M A.

And, NO 4G/LTE has about as much to do with GSM as CDMA does.... LTE just happens to make it easy to transition from GSM to UMTS(WCDMA) to LTE on the back end for GSM and CDMA carriers. They bear no RF correlation.

CMDA on a RF basis is 1000x better, had the PTT's of Europe at the time tested based on technical merits and not provincial bias then CDMA would have been the choice.
--
Ban all copyright, trademarks, and IP laws!//Lorem ipsum ei pro stet equidem labores, at enim animal expetenda nec. Ea vix argumentum dissentiunt, usu esse ridens ex.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it

Mulberry, FL
said by kamm:

ROFLM - so far GSM worked FAR BETTER worldwide than any shitty US-only (and some Asian) craptastic network and BTW, 3G/HSDPA is not GSM, it's WCDMA.

From a technical standpoint CDMA is a technically better format from RF operation to RF use,to ... any technical merits that matters. Not a reactionary so long as its not a technology from a US based company or mandated by some PTT bureaucrat which what GSM is. I'll take my CDMA phone any day, and no I don't travel outside the US so I don't need coverage any where else.

Thats why GSM is all going WCDMA. I am aware what the formats are, I deal with RF on a daily basis, thanks.

TMobile is primarily a GSM network, and its junk. They barely have enough 3g HSDPA network to even count as being in the game. By the time they catch up the WCDMA based UMTS will have moved to 4G LTE and that includes VZW.

TMobile is a dud carrier, period.

quote:
TMO used to have the best CS so I'm not sure about this...

CS doesn't translate into coverage. If I can not make a call, then the service regardless of who it is, is junk. TMobile has the WORST COVERAGE of a nationwide carrier in the US, bar none. In an open field they rate barely ahead of some of the regional carriers like Cricket.

I've called CS about my CDMA based VZW phone since the mid 80's.... ZERO. ZIP, NADDA. NEVER. I use my phone because of COVERAGE. NO COVERAGE, NO CALL. Doesn't matter how great their CS is if I can't use the service.
--
Ban all copyright, trademarks, and IP laws!//Lorem ipsum ei pro stet equidem labores, at enim animal expetenda nec. Ea vix argumentum dissentiunt, usu esse ridens ex.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
I've been a T-Mobile customer for over 2 years. I have excellent coverage and usually when I'm out with friends it is typically MY phone that has a signal and their AT&T or Sprint phones that are dropping calls or have no service. In that 2 years I've also had excellent customer service. I never have to beg or plead, they've always been very helpful and generous with offering "bonus minutes" for any problem I've had (which have always been corrected ASAP).

I like their service so much I signed up for the @Home service, as well. It works beautifully, the quality of the calls is landline-grade, nobody would ever guess it is VoIP. I plan to upgrade to the G1 phone when it is available. It will be a nice addition to my service, I think. Most of my "browsing" would be in Wi-Fi areas anyway, though the entire metro Atlanta area is scheduled for 3G service.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking