spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CTK246
join:2008-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

CTK246

Difference between QIP-6416-2 and QIP-7216

Hi, I'd like to know what the difference between these two models are. Thanks.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

2 edits

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

QIP6416
Dual 64/256 QAM tuners support standard and high definition MPEG-2 formats
Integrated 160 GB hard drive for DVR functionality
Embedded IP networking over coaxial cable using MoCA technology
Two-way IP data communication
Powerful (MIPS) RISC processor
Out-of-band data receiver
Full range of industry-standard video, audio, anddata outputs (for details, see “Specifications”)
Dolby® 5.1 digital audio
Decrypts CSA or DESMediaCipher® access control
Macrovision® copy protection
Front-panel LED display with navigation buttons
Digital on-screen diagnostics
SmartCard interface
Switched accessory outlet

QIP7216
Component video (Y Pb Pr), IEEE 1394, HDMI
S-Video, composite video, channel 3 and 4 RF remod
Left/right baseband, optical and coaxial S/PDIF
160GB hard drive 64/256 QAM dual tuner supports standard- and high-definition MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats
Embedded IP networking over coaxial cable using MoCA technology
Two-way IP data communication
Powerful (MIPS) RISC processor
Out-of-band data receiver
Full range of industry-standard video, audio, and data outputs (for details, see “Specifications”)
Dolby® 5.1 and 7.1 digital audio
Macrovision® copy protection
Front-panel LED display with navigation buttons
Digital on-screen diagnostics
CableCard interface
Switched accessory outlet

jebinc
@comcast.net

jebinc to CTK246

Anon

to CTK246
As I understand it, the 7216 is a newest version of the DVR. It supposedly has a bit larger hard drive and a slightly faster processor. I also understand that the box has some security feature that the older box doesn't - to comply with a recent regulation. I'm sure someone will post a detailed explanation on that.
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits

KenAF

The 72xx series is the next-generation platform from Motorola.

The 6416 and 7216 both have 160Gb hard drives. They have different processors, but processor performance is roughly the same. The 7216 does have more memory than earlier model 6416 DVRs, although I'm not sure how its memory compares to the later/last revisions of the 6416.

The main difference between the two is MPEG-4 AVC support. The 7xxx series uses a newer Broadcom decoder with full support for MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC, and Dolby Digital 7.1. The 6xxx series only supports MPEG-2 and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Another difference is eSATA for future drive expansion. eSATA was an optional (extra cost) feature on the 64xx series and Verizon ordered most of its 64xx DVRs without that feature. As far as I know, Verizon is only ordering 72xx DVRs with eSATA.

HaloBox
join:2002-01-10

HaloBox

said by KenAF:

Another difference is eSATA for future drive expansion. eSATA was an optional (extra cost) feature on the 64xx series and Verizon ordered most of its 64xx DVRs without that feature. As far as I know, Verizon is only ordering 72xx DVRs with eSATA.
Has anyone confirmed it works?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by HaloBox:
said by KenAF:

Has not been enabled by Verizon at this time.

HaloBox
join:2002-01-10

HaloBox

said by keyboards:

said by HaloBox:
said by KenAF:

Has not been enabled by Verizon at this time.
Ok, I'll keep my 1TB TiVo S3.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

It's not even a contest between the FIOS DVR and a TiVo Series 3. The FIOS DVR doesn't come close to the Series 3 TiVo.

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to CTK246

to CTK246
Anyone know if the MR-DVR is a new 7xxx series box?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

MR functionality is just software downloaded to your PC for your home network (and enabled on the DVR?) In other words there isn't a separate MR-DVR box than the HD DVR.
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k to CTK246

to CTK246
Since this is a thread about the two DVRs, I got a question. Does anybody know if I were to call and ask for a DVR now, would I need to request the 7 series or would that be the one that they send me? Just wondering cause I do plan on getting a DVR sometime soon (kinda waiting to get a job, recently graduated college) and would like the newer DVR if possible. Also, if you have the newer DVR does Verizon send the channels that are sent to them in Mpeg-4 in Mpeg-4 or does everyone get the Mpeg-2 transcoded version? Thanks for the responses.

-Shark2k
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

KenAF

said by shark2k:

Also, if you have the newer DVR does Verizon send the channels that are sent to them in Mpeg-4 in Mpeg-4 or does everyone get the Mpeg-2 transcoded version? Thanks for the responses.
Everyone gets the MPEG-2 encoded version.
riffjim4069
join:2006-01-26
Fredericksburg, VA

riffjim4069 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Hopefully the S3 is 5x faster than the Tivo HD...because the Tivo HD is painfully slow. If V* were wise, they were contract with EchoStar to make their next generation HD DVR since their Dish Network HD DVR is easily the best unit on the market.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

My S3 boxes are pretty fast and they actually record what I want it to. UNlike some other DVRs.
smilepak
join:2002-02-27
Chino, CA

smilepak to CTK246

to CTK246
So in another words, not worth to waste time getting the 7216 huh? I need a larger HD.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

said by smilepak:

So in another words, not worth to waste time getting the 7216 huh? I need a larger HD.
7216 has the same size drive as the 6416...

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

MR functionality is just software downloaded to your PC for your home network (and enabled on the DVR?) In other words there isn't a separate MR-DVR box than the HD DVR.
Well, MR functionality is the ability of the STB's to talk to the DVR and access recordings. I understand there are some additional benefits of PC connectivity, but that's not really how it's primarily marketed. If there's just one DVR box, then there must be something enabled/disabled in the firmware from the home office. Does that mean if I cancel MR-DVR service after the year is up and downgrade to regular HD-DVR service, they can just make the change from the office? Hopefully I end up with the 7-series box.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by kyler13:

Does that mean if I cancel MR-DVR service after the year is up and downgrade to regular HD-DVR service, they can just make the change from the office?
Yes