spc
Search similar:

uniqs
waiting4fios
join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

waiting4fios to Dispatcherator

to Dispatcherator

Re: Verizon FiOS default WEP key HIGHLY insecure!

A couple people said WPA/WPA2 couldn't be hacked, but this link on BBR proves otherwise »community.zdnet.co.uk/bl ··· b,00.htm

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to margaf

to margaf
Because I don't plan on remaining entirely without wireless forever; in addition, I do troubleshoot the odd wireless laptop/notebook/desktop (which more often than not gets brought here), so constantly enabling/disabling the wireless radio would be even more of a pain than simply hyperstrengthening the connection in the first place and leaving it that way. When I bought the router back in 2005, I was replacing an existing wired-only router (and I had no immediate need for wireless then, either; however, wireless was in my future plans). Through the three years I've owned it, it's served me without problems. The only reason I'm looking to replace it is because wireless-N has become cheap enough to warrant serious consideration ($120 for the Linksys WRT-310N via local Best Buy) and I can actually replace the wired non-gigabit link to one client with wireless-N cheaply and see a performance increase. (This would involve replacing PCI Fast Ethernet with USB wireless-N.)
PGHammer

PGHammer to waiting4fios

to waiting4fios
said by waiting4fios:

A couple people said WPA/WPA2 couldn't be hacked, but this link on BBR proves otherwise »community.zdnet.co.uk/bl ··· b,00.htm
I've seen the article. The method, while sound, would be overkill for most wireless-N connections (or any non-telework wireless hack). The article itself stresses the need to toughen up telework connections via VPNs (which are often valuable enough that any would-be cracker WOULD see value in attempting to hack such a wireless connection) and is just as applicable to wired connections, as well; teleworking over an UNENCRYPTED or weakly-encrypted wireless or wired connection is just plain stupid in any case, and always has been.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

margaf to PGHammer

to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

Because I don't plan on remaining entirely without wireless forever; in addition, I do troubleshoot the odd wireless laptop/notebook/desktop (which more often than not gets brought here), so constantly enabling/disabling the wireless radio would be even more of a pain than simply hyperstrengthening the connection in the first place and leaving it that way. When I bought the router back in 2005, I was replacing an existing wired-only router (and I had no immediate need for wireless then, either; however, wireless was in my future plans). Through the three years I've owned it, it's served me without problems. The only reason I'm looking to replace it is because wireless-N has become cheap enough to warrant serious consideration ($120 for the Linksys WRT-310N via local Best Buy) and I can actually replace the wired non-gigabit link to one client with wireless-N cheaply and see a performance increase. (This would involve replacing PCI Fast Ethernet with USB wireless-N.)
Sounds like a plan. I have a button on the front of my WRT-54GL and with the firmware I have on it, its as simple as pushing it to turn the wireless on or off but being an apt dweller in NYC I dont like to leave it open unless its in use. Some call it paranoia but I just dont like to take chances. Everything in the house is wired in except the wife's work laptop so wireless is off except on weekends.