spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

msp116

@verizon.net

Security Camera

I recently installed a security camera and would like to remote monitor it"over the internet", but iam having on hell of a time trying to port forward it through the actiontech. I can easily bring it up on my LAN but no matter what settings I try in the router no luck!!:( I have contacted Verizon they tell me to contact Panasonic"camera manu" and viseversa...so this is for all you IT GURU's what do I need to do guys......? Help a brother out!!!!!

jfoj

join:2005-05-06
Mclean, VA
Web cameras will work via FIOS, however, you cannot use port 80 on a residential account. In the long run if you have a residential account you would be best off using DynDNS to avoid problem when the IP address changes.

Let me know if you need more info.

jfoj

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to msp116

You also can't test it from behind the router.

msp116

@verizon.net
reply to jfoj
Thanks guys.... I have a very limited working knowledge of IT any way you could be more specific "Behind the router"? Im somewhat familiar with DynDNS any you could recommend?

jfoj

join:2005-05-06
Mclean, VA
reply to msp116
You can test behind the router (inside your private network) with your 192.168.1.X address, but not via the public address as you would from outside your network (via the Internet). You need to make sure your camera works inside your network before you venture outside the network!

Then you need a way to access the camera from outside your network, either have a friend attemt access, attached your machine to a different network, or to a different network with a remote desktop application.

This might be useful?

»FiOS Router blocking Security Web Cam Remote view

It's been a long time since I set this up, but the above link appears useful.

DynDNS.org is the mainstream support for dynamic DNS, but your camera also needs to support dynamic DNS as well.

You do not need the dynamic DNS to get the camera working, better to try with the current public address, then add DynDNS once you know the camera works.

As I recall, there is a tutorial in the ActionTec web interface that shows some ways to get a web camera working.

jfoj

msp1160

join:2004-03-15
Columbia, MD

1 edit
Yes this is an older panasonic setup using a panasonic WJ-nt104 it does not support DyDNS. This box has a browser based interface.

msp116

@verizon.net
Anybody Else???

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to msp1160
The WJ-NT104 must have an IP address on the Actiontec LAN.

Go to the Network Setup page for the WJ-NT104, set the following fields:
•IP Address (LAN) = an available address on the Actiontec's subnet (e.g. 192.168.1.10).
•Default Gateway (LAN) = 192.168.1.1
•Network Type = LAN

Verify you can connect to 192.168.1.10 from a local browser.

•Click on the Firewall Settings icon.
•Select Port Forwarding
•Click Add.

As noted by jfoj See Profile, VZ blocks port 80 on residential accounts. So we are going to create a port forward from external port 8080 to port 80 on the WJ-NT104.

Enter the following on the Port Forwarding Rule page:
•Network Computer = Specify Address = 192.168.1.10
•From the PROTOCOL pull-down, select HTTP Secondary (8080)
•Forward to Port = Specify = 80
•Click Apply (again if needed)

You should now be able to connect to your WJ-NT104 via your WAN IP address and port 8080.
To test, go to »proxify.com/
Enter <your-public-ipaddress>:8080

Once you have that working, then:
•Setup a free account on dyndns.org
•Create your own "subdomain" such as "mysubdomain.dyndns.org".

Enable automatic updates of your WAN IP address ot DynDNS:
•Login to the Actiontec
•Goto ADVANCED
•Select Dynamic DNS
•Enter your DynDNS.org user name and password.
•Dynamic DNS System = Dynamic DNS
•Host Name = mydomain.dyndns.org (what you created)
•Click Apply

You should now be able to connection to your WJ-NT104 by entering »mysubdomain.dyndyns.org:8080 regardless of any changes to your WAN IP address.

msp116

@verizon.net
More Fiber U THE MAN!!!!! worked on the first go around thanks a lot man!!!

msp1160

Columbia, MD

1 edit
Ok new problem trying the same thing this time with a panasonic WJ-hd500 DVR. Followed all of the above inst but I cannot access the DVR from outside my network? Any ideas?
This DVR has network DNS functions but Im unfamiliar with setting them up? The DVR works in the same way as the camera "built in browser" I would like to acces this also remotely like the camera, but using the same settings this does not work.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Not sure what you mean by the unit having "network DNS functions".

I checked the manual on the Panasonic web site, but it did not have any information, other than how to set the IP address for the unit.

I assume you have already selected and set the unit to an available static IP address? Let's assume you used 192.168.1.11

Did you create a new port forward in the Actiontec, or modify the existing one described above? In other words, do you want »mysubdomain.dyndns.org:8080 to go to the existing camera, or the DVR? If you want to support both, you will need 2 port forwards. Each must have a unique external port number.

msp1160

Columbia, MD
Yea Panasonic manual at least for the network portion of the DVR is pretty bad! I have setup the DVR with a static IP 192.168.1.10. Just to try it out all I did was unplug the cable from the camera and plugged it into the DVR. DVR network functios as follows DHCP off, static IP set 192.168.1.10 subnet and gateway all match. DNS off, DNS server 0.0.0.0, DNS secondary server 0.0.0.0, HTTP Port set @ 80, Network speed set to auto. I know Im probably missing something what do ya think?

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD
said by msp1160:

HTTP Port set @ 80, I know Im probably missing something what do ya think?
port set to 80? That's your first problem, need to change that port. 80 is blocked by Verizon.
--
Ways to Relieve Stress #10. Make up a language and ask people for directions.

msp1160

Columbia, MD

4 edits
What port should I use and how do I configure the actiontec to follow? Check out the link for a screen cap.

Click the attachments to see the full size.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to msp1160
said by msp1160:

I have setup the DVR with a static IP 192.168.1.10. Just to try it out all I did was unplug the cable from the camera and plugged it into the DVR. DVR network functions as follows DHCP off, static IP set 192.168.1.10 subnet and gateway all match. DNS off, DNS server 0.0.0.0, DNS secondary server 0.0.0.0, HTTP Port set @ 80
Assuming the camera is no longer on 192.168.1.10, your setup looks okay. It should be working the same way it was with the camera.

You have the port forwarding set for external port 8080 to port 80 on the DVR (which should be the same as you had it for the camera). The network setup for the DVR looks correct, although I'm not sure why the DVR would care about a gateway address or DNS servers.

You said earlier you could connect to the DVR on your local network, so I have to assume the web server in the DVR is working. At this point, I don't have any suggestions.

msp1160

Columbia, MD

3 edits
Yea Im running out of ideas myself. The only thing different with the DVR is that you can select the port the camera does not have this setting. Would you suggest trying a different port? throught the ActionTec? or DVR? Here is a snap of the camera setup!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to msp116
Did you set up a DHCP reservation in the Actiontec for the camera? i.e. A pre-assigned "static" IP address.
(Advanced->IP Address Distribution->Connection List)

If you did, the Actiontec, might be having problems with the port forwarding because the MAC address of the DVR is different than the camera.

cablebill

join:2008-12-09
Patchogue, NY
reply to msp1160

Re: Security Camera- WJ-HD500 Setup

Hello Guys

i`m just getting into this DVR stuff, I have a
WJ-HD500 and Love it, but I can not log into the screens you have posted...Ie: setup/admin screens....Is there a default password ? The device name is "ctms2" on main screen (view) and the password is "password" In the setup using the button on the front of the unit it states the password as 12345....

But this does not allow me the access I need to setup gateway and DNS ....

any ideas guys ???? thanks in advance

cjacobs001

join:2008-10-09
Valrico, FL
reply to msp116

Re: Security Camera

Does it make any difference for the DVR that when the actiontec assigns the IP address DHCP it starts at 192.168.1.100 and goes up from there for each unit ?