Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

[OS X] How to Burn Movies onto Playable DVD's?

I have a bunch of movies on my MacBook Pro and I would like to be able to burn them on to a DVD for my parents so they can watch some movies that I have on their DVD Player that is hooked up to their television. How can I do this?

Is it native in OS X to be able to do this, or is there a separate piece of software that I need to be able to use in order to do this?

What about if the movies are broken up into 2 files? I have some movies which are in 2 parts, how do I burn these so they just play straight through like a regular movie when someone pops the DVD into their player?

What about movies with .srt files for subtitles? How do I burn the movies with the subs so they play properly for others to view?

What about .bin/.cue files?

Do I need DVD-R's or are DVD-RW's acceptable?

I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2
iMovie and/or iDVD ?

cstumpf

join:2004-02-07
Buena Park, CA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
The program you are looking for is called iDVD.

For the movies you have in multiple parts, use iMovie to join them together and then export to mpeg2. Import that into iDVD to create the dvd.

not sure about the subtitles, don't really deal with them or the bin/.cue files.

Don't use RWs if you want them to be playable with a regular dvd player. Also, you will have to try different brands of DVD to see which ones your parents dvd player likes.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Toast.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Look into an app called DVDRemaster. Works well for me.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Forgive me for my questions if they are obvious, but I'm a new Mac user.

Which app is better, iMovie/iDVD, Toast, or DVDRemaster and why?

TearAbite
D'oh

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
i'm sure everyone will have an opinion, but FWIW, iMovie & iDVD are both free and already installed on your Mac ..

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't have those two applications installed on my MacBook Pro.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by Alpha Phoenix:

That sounds odd. Both of those apps are bundled with Macs and are a part of the iLife package or suite.

It's hard to believe they weren't installed on your Mac. Did you buy it second hand?
--
"A study in the Washington Post says that women have better verbal skills
than men. I just want to say to the authors of that study: Duh."
--Conan O'Brien

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Which app is better, iMovie/iDVD, Toast, or DVDRemaster and why?
It really depends on what the content is you need to burn. If it's stuff you shot yourself, the Apple stuff is more than sufficient. If it's "found" content, then it gets complicated if you need to transcode to DVD format. If it's ripped content, the choice is a bit simpler.

TearAbite
D'oh

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

then someone removed them.. did you try a spotlight-search on "imovie" or "idvd" ? (you DO still have Spotlight, ya?)

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to wxboss
Nope, ordered it directly from Apple, and I didn't have iLife bundled with it.

And yes, it's "found" content.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

sporkme
Premium,MVM
Morristown, NJ

1 recommendation

said by Alpha Phoenix:

For that, I gave up on transcoding. It's slow and cumbersome no matter what you use, and it wastes DVDs.

I spent about $40 on a DVD player like this one:

»www.circuitcity.com/ccd/ ··· eycode=4

Download crap in many formats (divx, xvid, etc. - qt or avi container), burn one to a cd or a bunch to a dvd, walk it over to dvd player and enjoy. Since I'm not "upconverting" it to MPEG-2 for normal DVD authoring, I can fit more stuff on a DVD as well. I'm very happy with that system.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Best solution in the thread so far..

If you don't want to switch players, go with Toast. But the DivX DVD player really is the best option.

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to sporkme
said by sporkme:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

For that, I gave up on transcoding. It's slow and cumbersome no matter what you use, and it wastes DVDs.

I spent about $40 on a DVD player like this one:

»www.circuitcity.com/ccd/ ··· eycode=4

Download crap in many formats (divx, xvid, etc. - qt or avi container), burn one to a cd or a bunch to a dvd, walk it over to dvd player and enjoy. Since I'm not "upconverting" it to MPEG-2 for normal DVD authoring, I can fit more stuff on a DVD as well. I'm very happy with that system.
If you've been looking at the PS3 and need another reason to get it, it one ups this solution.

Put said downloaded file on flash drive and plug into usb port on PS3. Movie will play.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alpha Phoenix
Thanks for the alternatives, but as I said this is so my parents can watch movies that I have on my MacBook Pro, on their Sony DVD Player which is hooked up to their television. They aren't interested in buying a PS3 or another DVD/DIVX Player so that's why I'm looking at how best to do this on my Mac so they can watch the movies.

What are the differences (benefits vs. drawbacks) of Toast vs. iDVD?
--

sporkme
Premium,MVM
Morristown, NJ
iDVD is not really an option if you're transcoding from a bunch of different formats. It's primarily made to work in tandem with iMovie, which (IIRC) really only wants to take in DV video. It would not be a simple solution.

I've not really used Toast for anything but simple burning, so I can't say much about it. Apparently it can fairly easily convert formats before burning.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

3 edits
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Thanks for the alternatives, but as I said this is so my parents can watch movies that I have on my MacBook Pro, on their Sony DVD Player which is hooked up to their television. They aren't interested in buying a PS3 or another DVD/DIVX Player so that's why I'm looking at how best to do this on my Mac so they can watch the movies.

What are the differences (benefits vs. drawbacks) of Toast vs. iDVD?
Then I would suggest VisualHub. You will run into problems with downloaded content when using Toast or iDVD (more so with iDVD). VisualHub can convert many formats to DVD.
Hasn't let me down yet.

Personally I use a DivX DVD player with a usb port (don't even have to burn a dvd ).
--
We've never considered divorce... murder sometimes, but never divorce.