dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

mystryfiostk
join:2008-07-17

mystryfiostk to Dispatcherator

to Dispatcherator

Re: Verizon FiOS default WEP key HIGHLY insecure!

IMO your post should read:

Verizon FiOS default WEP key provides basic security!

if anything they should get a kudo or two (or at least actiontech) for locking down their routers BY DEFAULT.

WEP keeps 99%+ of people off your network and at least it's something. most of the "comcast home networking" setups i've seen are left open as are retail routers.

JohnNWPVNJMH
Premium Member
join:2007-03-26
Berkeley Heights, NJ

JohnNWPVNJMH

Premium Member

I agree. The basic WEP will keep off the average neighbor trying to get free Internet off your dime.

You are right, WEP keeps 99%+ of people off your network and in such Verizon and Actiontec did the right thing.

Yes, WPA and WPA2 is superior and I use WPA2 with a large & complex passkey along with my SSID in stealth mode. That said, the cost for Verizon to send by default WPA2 to the average consumer would be huge. Compatibility and complexity in getting all of the devices to work are a task for any seasoned tech and certainly not that of a regular user. WPA2 can be very frustrating when trying to integrate older equipment, PC to MAC and so on.

I give both thumbs up to Verizon for having the specs that their routers ship secured with basic WEP.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnNWPVNJMH:

along with my SSID in stealth mode.
"stealth" mode (e.g. not broadcasting the SSID) isn't really worthwhile. The SSID is easily found if there are active wifi devices talking to the WAP/router, and it can even cause issues with certain client devices (though, that might have been something that has mostly been fixed with newer devices that support WPA2 anyway )

JohnNWPVNJMH
Premium Member
join:2007-03-26
Berkeley Heights, NJ

JohnNWPVNJMH

Premium Member

You are right. In fact, I did have a device that didn't like the SSID turned off which I later resolved with a firmware update.

I just turn off SSID so the neighbors kids don't even see my connection thus break the temptation. ha ha. I know, I have Network Stumbler and I know there are others out that can sniff any connection.

I should also note that I use MAC filtering so between WPA2, the MAC filtering and the "stealth" SSID I am not that worried about anyone getting into the network. That said, there is always tomorrow in regards to the latest discovered exploit!

I guess if anything, I would have to set up a wireless access point that is segregated from the rest of the Network for ultimate security in regards to any damage to devices on the wired network such as my server.