how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cablejockey

join:2007-04-26
St Catharines, ON

Digital added main line

Hi all: I am trying to understand digital added main line and looking for Pictures of a DAML NID. I work for the cable company and a few of the guys have run across this we believe and have to deal with them as we are installing VOIP in homes.

Thanks for help in advance

Steve

tantivy

join:2007-03-17
Palo Alto, CA
The one that I had on a former house was a box roughly 8"x12", similar in size and appearance to a 6 line NID.

The Main difference is that the DAML has 1 pair in, and 2 pairs out. The input side is digital, and has voltage on it (I think up to 100-150vdc, but not sure) to power the DAML, but that's the telco side, which you should not be touching in the first place.

The output side is ordinary POTS.

The box should be treated the same as any other NID. You would disconnect the premises wiring from the customer side of the DAML/NID, and connect it to your equipment/NID.

The DAML, and any other telco provided NID are the sole responsibility of telco, and should not be modified or removed. Customer wiring may be connected or disconnected from the DAML/NID, but the telco side should not be touched except by telco personel.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..
reply to Cablejockey
I had a pairgain unit when I lived in Canton. It was just a telco NID with a thicker door (which had a card in it). The subscriber side was exactly the same, and required no modification to my installation. (incidentally, I hated the thing! At that time I was on dialup, and you could only get about 26k on a pairgain line.)

Foggy_UK
Premium
join:2003-09-11
England
reply to Cablejockey
These devices are also known as DACS in the UK, The exchange (CO) line side is 140vdc and uses 2B1Q on a single twisted pair upto 12Km on 0.5mm copper. The Subs side could be upto 200meters and is normal PSTN/POTS output. We use both a pole mounted unit and an internal version depending on the needs of the job. The pole mounted unit can be installed on the outside of the customers building. This type of pairgain device is hated in the UK due to it's incompatibility with xDSL, and due to the high take up of ADSL in the UK isn't actively fitted anymore unless there is no other option.

Foggy_UK
Premium
join:2003-09-11
England
reply to alphapointe
said by alphapointe:

(incidentally, I hated the thing! At that time I was on dialup, and you could only get about 26k on a pairgain line.)
Yes that sounds about right, same here in the UK. A lot of people had a 2nd line installed for internet access before the 2001 (onward) rollout of ADSL, the telCo didn't have the pairs in the ground to cope with the demand and engineers being engineers took the easy option to install "on the day" pairgain solutions all over the place...

Modem is digital, POTS line isn't, DACS is digital, Exchange isn't... so the double digital to Analoge conversion has an effect on the max rate a modem can connect at which is tip' 26Kbps

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to alphapointe
said by alphapointe:

I had a pairgain unit when I lived in Canton. It was just a telco NID with a thicker door (which had a card in it). The subscriber side was exactly the same, and required no modification to my installation. (incidentally, I hated the thing! At that time I was on dialup, and you could only get about 26k on a pairgain line.)
It’s not the DAML limiting the dialup speed a CO based DAML will provide the same dialup speed as a short copper line the slowness comes in when the DAML is served out of a channel unit in a universal SLC system most noticeable in SLC 96.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to Foggy_UK
said by Foggy_UK:

the telCo didn't have the pairs in the ground to cope with the demand and engineers being engineers took the easy option to install "on the day" pairgain solutions all over the place...
As a system it works fine on pristine copper pairs in the real world oftentimes it becomes a breakdown tester from which the term a DAML in dis-stress evolved.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.