spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sempronius
join:2008-09-18
Toronto, ON

Sempronius

Countdown to Canada's National Do-Not-Call List

It's official: On September 30, 2008, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) will launch the National DNCL. Consumers will be able to register on the National DNCL for free to reduce the number of telemarketing calls they receive.

For many Canadian consumers, the National DNCL will come as a relief to the nuisance of telemarketing calls. It will, however, have some exemptions. Consumers may still receive calls from registered charities, political parties, and newspapers seeking subscriptions. Companies with whom a consumer has an existing business relationship will still be able to call, as well as those conducting surveys. For more information on exemptions, see the CRTC Fact Sheet.

Calls will not stop immediately. Telemarketers will have 31 days to update their calling lists. If consumers continue to receive non-exempt calls 31 days after they have registered they will be able to file complaints with the National DNCL operator.

Registration is simple. To put their numbers on the National DNCL, consumers will be able to log on to »www.LNNTE-DNCL.gc.ca as of September 30, 2008, and follow the instructions, or call 1-866-580-DNCL (3625). For TTY service only (for the hearing impaired), the toll-free number will be 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889).

For more information on the National DNCL »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/dncl.htm
33591094 (banned)
join:2002-11-19
Canada

33591094 (banned)

It won't stop all of them, but it might give some respite from the scumbags...

ShadPTR
join:2008-01-23
Whitby, ON

ShadPTR to Sempronius

to Sempronius
I hope "Hi, it's Anna from the moving company" gets fined up the wazoo.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

My fave of late is "Hi, this is your second notice that the warranty on your vehicle is about to expire" and later "This is your final notice"

Heck, I haven't had the first notice ... and it's no wonder, I don't have a vehicle with a warranty on it! (Except my new bicycle!) It's a 3rd party scammy warranty. Just like the win a cost free vacation (yeah, right) or "from the credit card company" ... Sheesh!

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

you mean i wont be going on a vacation for free???

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to ShadPTR

Premium Member

to ShadPTR
said by ShadPTR:

I hope "Hi, it's Anna from the moving company" gets fined up the wazoo.
This is Boris,you need strong man and truck

LOL

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
This will do nothing for those calls either.I get about 4 or 5 a day now all originating in the US and a bunch of spoofed numbers like 123 456 7890.This will continue.Canada needs to talk to the US and get both sides to agree to cross border penalties.

Sempronius
Toronto, ON

Sempronius

Click for full size
It appears the CRTC is having difficulty getting the site up and running on time...several attempts and still not able to access the website.
warthunder2k
join:2002-04-20
canada

warthunder2k

I signed up!

Sempronius
Toronto, ON

Sempronius

I just signed up now.
Sempronius

Sempronius

Do-not-call list will boost direct mail, marketers say

»www.cbc.ca/technology/st ··· ist.html

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook to Sempronius

Mod

to Sempronius

Re: Countdown to Canada's National Do-Not-Call List

It was broken when I tried earlier! Isn't that prize?!

And still broken "Temporarily Unavailable"
jvl001
join:2008-06-09
Mississauga, ON

jvl001

Note that Bell won the contract to run the DNCL. Make what analogies you will but I would hope that their shear size would mean they could handle the initial service launch. As of noon EDT of launch day, the service is unavailable.

It appears that they own the IP domain of the currently overloaded server, so I assume they are hosting the service as well.

host lookup reveals:
www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca is an alias for lnnte-dncl.gc.ca.
lnnte-dncl.gc.ca has address 207.35.39.20
lnnte-dncl.gc.ca mail is handled by 20 river.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca.
lnnte-dncl.gc.ca mail is handled by 10 hecla.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca.

whois reveals:
whois 207.35.39.20
Bell Canada GRICS01 (NET-207-35-0-0-1)
207.35.0.0 - 207.35.255.255
Bell ICT Outsourcing Solutions BEL20080617-CA (NET-207-35-39-0-1)
207.35.39.0 - 207.35.39.255

Way to go Bell!

Sempronius
Toronto, ON

Sempronius

said by jvl001:

Note that Bell won the contract to run the DNCL. Make what analogies you will but I would hope that their shear size would mean they could handle the initial service launch. As of noon EDT of launch day, the service is unavailable.
Your note, however, appears to reflect a misunderstanding of Bell’s role with respect to the National DNCL. The National DNCL is the responsibility of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), as required by Parliament. The CRTC, in turn, has contracted with Bell to administer the DNCL on its behalf, although the CRTC itself remains fully responsible for the list.

Registered complaints of Telemarketing calls received after the 31 days of registration are handled by the DNCL Operator, CRTC, and not Bell Canada.
Sempronius

Sempronius to sbrook

to sbrook

Overwhelming interest crashes Do Not Call registry

»toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/a ··· oNewHome
jvl001
join:2008-06-09
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

jvl001 to Sempronius

to Sempronius

Re: Countdown to Canada's National Do-Not-Call List

Your reading far too much into my comments if you think I'm confusing the CRTC with Bell. Of course Bell has nothing to do with writing or enforcing the laws related to the DNCL. The CRTC is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the DNCL is enforced and that the service is accessible to all Canadians. It doesn't say Bell anywhere on the DNCL site.

The CRTC wisely chose to outsource the service aspect of the DNCL. Bell is the subcontractor in charge of maintaining the L in DNCL. i.e. maintain the list and provide access to citizen and tele-marketer alike. One could fairly assume that a company as large as Bell, who is currently competent enough to sell information and services to tele-marketers, would be competent enough to launch an online service that meets the needs of the subcontract (i.e. provide access to all Canadians). (Edit: I would be willing to blame the CRTC if they didn't put together a decent bid request.)

Given the media blitz related to the DNCL I would think they could have better anticipated demand. I expect that the service will be up eventually but so far not so good. (Edit: It's entirely possible I'm unfairly blaming Bell but I doubt it.)

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

"competent" At least you used it right.I had to take a second look when I saw bell and competent in the same line.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

so where do we sign up i see the same old web page nowhere to sign up :/
Angelo

Angelo

Premium Member

nm i see it now =p

Sempronius
Toronto, ON

Sempronius to jvl001

to jvl001
said by jvl001:

(Edit: It's entirely possible I'm unfairly blaming Bell but I doubt it.)
I believe that to be a fair statement, considering that The CRTC is solely responsible for maintaining the DNCL on Bell's behalf.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Uhhhh do you mean that Bell is solely responsible for maintaining the DNCL for the CRTC?

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Not sure what they mean but..

"Who manages the National DNCL?

Bell Canada was contracted by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to act as the National DNCL Operator. It is enforced by the CRTC. "

To me that means they are running it.
33591094 (banned)
Canada

1 edit

33591094 (banned) to Sempronius

to Sempronius
It's working very smoothly today. I guess they must have finally thrown enough hardware at it...

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

1 edit

habskilla

looks like things are running smooth now

clandestin
join:2002-05-02
Montreal, QC

clandestin to Sempronius

to Sempronius
I don't know but since I put my phone number on that list I received 3-4 per week. Just today I got 2 calls in 30 min for house cleaning and one for a credit card. Will see in at the end of the month, if It's worth it.
33591094 (banned)
Canada

33591094 (banned)

Maybe they are trying to get in under the wire. I'll be pissed, too, if volume increase.

phoneboy3
@shawcable.net

phoneboy3 to Sempronius

Anon

to Sempronius
I have been getting hammered by telemarketers. It definitely has picked up the past few months. The very first day the DNC list went active I managed to get through and put all my numbers on there. Assuming I understand correctly, these calls should all stop Nov1 otherwise I have the law on my side. None of these calls I get fall into the exempted organizations so I'll be taking names if they call me after Oct31.

JimmyArms
join:2008-01-09
Sault Ste Marie, ON

JimmyArms

About two weeks or so ago most of the telemarketing calls I've gotten have started coming from numbers like..0-000-000-0000, 1-234-456-7890, 1-121-121-1212...ect
Coincidence?
Will they be able to stop these ones?

phoneboy3
@shawcable.net

phoneboy3

Anon

Yes, I get those 000-000-000 calls at least 3 or 4 times a week. I just don't answer. The one time I did it was a recording but I can't remember what they were trying to flog. Pretty sure they are not exempted so hopefully they will stop.

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

Mr_Derp to JimmyArms

to JimmyArms
I am also seeing an increase in calls over the past week or so, most all of them from malformed and invalid #'s....

Way to go, now all these fuckers aren't able to be called back. I get a lot of calls from a fake montreal #
514-958-0000, it appears that this one's been used for a long time, and yet it is still in use.

There has to be a better way to stop these calls, the DNCL is just forcing these shifty fuckers to go rogue and spoof #'s on the caller ID.