Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Shooting The Messenger

quote:
Verizon iPhone availability should make many customers happy, given AT&T's network coverage and call quality simply does not mach up in many of the two companies overlapping markets (upstate NY comes to mind).
Ahhh... the classic "blame the carrier for the crappy phone" game.

AT&T's 3G and EDGE networks, at least where I use our phones the most, are fairly decent. People I know who have iPhones have coverage issues in places where our phones (an HTC 8525 and a Samsung Blackjack 2) work just fine.

Verizon has an excellent network in most places. Even their crappiest phones work in the most unlikely of places. When issues with the iPhone appear on Verizon, is Verizon's network going to be to blame?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

2 recommendations

Matt3

Premium Member

said by pnh102:
quote:
Verizon iPhone availability should make many customers happy, given AT&T's network coverage and call quality simply does not mach up in many of the two companies overlapping markets (upstate NY comes to mind).
It's widely known that AT&T's GSM network isn't nearly up to the standard of any EVDO network in the US. I've never, outside of this site, - ever - known anyone who's had AT&T service and been happy with it. Dropped calls, no service, terrible sounding voice quality, missing txt messages, unable to make/receive calls ... the problems are widespread. They just sent me a deal for 5 lines for $99 (I pay Verizon twice that) and I won't touch it. Their service is especially horrible here.

While I think the iPhone is a mediocre phone (great web browsing though), I don't think the problems it has are all the phones fault.

Brazbit
Premium Member
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA

Brazbit

Premium Member

said by Matt3 See ProfileIt's widely known that AT&T's GSM network isn't nearly up to the standard of any EVDO network in the US. I've never, outside of this site, - ever - known anyone who's had AT&T service and been happy with it. Dropped calls, no service, terrible sounding voice quality, missing txt messages, unable to make/receive calls ... the problems are widespread. They just sent me a deal for 5 lines for $99 (I pay Verizon twice that) and I won't touch it. Their service is especially horrible here. [/BQUOTE :

Wow the all powerful widely known has spoken. I have never had service issues with AT&T. More often than not I have coverage when those with Verizon do not (Most of my family has Verizon so I hear about coverage issues often.) Coverage in this area is actually why I went with AT&T, Verizon had a huge dead area in the middle of what was my service region at my last job, those with Verizon would be out of communication for fifteen to twenty minutes driving from the main office to our biggest branch office. So while Verizon may have an advantage where you live it is not the case here and they probably flip flop service quality all across the nation.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:
said by pnh102:
quote:
It's widely known that AT&T's GSM network isn't nearly up to the standard of any EVDO network in the US. I've never, outside of this site, - ever - known anyone who's had AT&T service and been happy with it. Dropped calls, no service, terrible sounding voice quality, missing txt messages, unable to make/receive calls ... the problems are widespread. They just sent me a deal for 5 lines for $99 (I pay Verizon twice that) and I won't touch it. Their service is especially horrible here.

While I think the iPhone is a mediocre phone (great web browsing though), I don't think the problems it has are all the phones fault.
What you just described sounds like what I hear and experience with Sprint customers all the time. And their headquarters is literally 5 minutes away from me.

NetAdmin1
CCNA
join:2008-05-22

NetAdmin1 to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

It's widely known that AT&T's GSM network isn't nearly up to the standard of any EVDO network in the US. I've never, outside of this site, - ever - known anyone who's had AT&T service and been happy with it. Dropped calls, no service, terrible sounding voice quality, missing txt messages, unable to make/receive calls ... the problems are widespread.
I can certainly agree with that statement. ATT's network sucks, although most of my issues are call quality (echo, echo, echo, echo) and dropped calls. Of course I've also tried Alltel, Verizon and Sprint and haven't been happy with any of them for voice service either.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

My experience with them has been much different. Service has always been excellent, and almost everyone I know around here uses them. I tried VZW for a year, and they were fine, but with most friends and family members using AT&T, I got much more use out of M2M with them.

Not saying you're wrong, but I think each carrier has its strong and weak areas, and the Southeast happens to be a strong area for AT&T.

rec9140
Provoice just DO it
join:2003-07-29
Mulberry, FL

rec9140 to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

This pretty much sums up in order:

1) ATT
2) TMobile

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

It's widely known that AT&T's GSM network isn't nearly up to the standard of any EVDO network in the US.
Is it?

I'm certainly not saying that AT&T is the best phone company in this country, but I can't imagine that they would be either the largest or close to largest cell phone provider if they were in bad shape. My entire family has AT&T (we wanted to be able to call each other at no cost in minutes) and we've been happy with it.

While there are definitely places where AT&T stinks, I don't think it is fair to indict the company as being bad. I think there would be more widespread problems with other AT&T 3G phones if it wasn't just problems with the iPhone.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

said by Matt3:

My experience with them has been much different. Service has always been excellent, and almost everyone I know around here uses them. I tried VZW for a year, and they were fine, but with most friends and family members using AT&T, I got much more use out of M2M with them.

Not saying you're wrong, but I think each carrier has its strong and weak areas, and the Southeast happens to be a strong area for AT&T.
Again, here we start with the "my phone is better then yours" "my network is better than yours". Give me a break. I've at ATT a few years ago. I've had Sprint for 10. I know people (well, lets say, I have spent days in the woods/camping with said people) and over all, I've had much better service then VZ and ATT. For my purposes, use and needs, Sprint serves them all well. After seeing how the others perfrom in the "wild", I'll put up with a dropped call every so often just I don't have to deal with the 2 800lb gorillas. For every person who said they have problems with one carrier, I can show you another that doesn't. It's as simple as who I choose to write my check out too. None of them are worthy but for now, 10 years running, Sprint has been great.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

.... outside of this site, - ever - known anyone who's had AT&T service and been happy with it. Dropped calls, no service, terrible sounding voice quality, missing txt messages, unable to make/receive calls ...
I switched to AT&T/iPhone 3 months ago.I use it as my primary phone and, as of yet, have not had any of the problems you mentioned.

Bob

atmw
@iland.net

atmw to Matt3

Anon

to Matt3
3 g i gret if you cn geit. I liv outie o f a 3 g wtorkek n mforcd o buuy thir ovr priced 430.00data plan o gt th ph o ork.. if 3g is not aailble ten it flls bk oo 2g or about equl o .dl, but my mind but you tre pying od 3gpeed. but gtting diial up speds.14.4k bad

NoProbCT
@64.206.111.x

NoProbCT to pnh102

Anon

to pnh102
pnh102, I have an iPhone 3G with AT&T after having switched from being a Verizon customer for 8+ years. I live in CT and work in the Hartford area and get full 3G service with no issues. After a recent trip to Boston, I can say with certainty that the issues are geologically-related. While a Fenway Park, I also had a full 3G signal but could not establish a data connection to save my life. An outgoing call I placed also took an eternity to simply establish the connection. Once I returned to CT, everything worked fine again... I'm beginning to believe the problem in the urban AT&T markets is over subscription.

And as a foot note, AT&T's service in CT for me has been far superior to Verizon's in terms of both coverage and call quality.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to tc1uscg

to tc1uscg
I'm glad Sprint works for you. They were my first carrier back in 2001-2002, and I hated them with a passion. Tons of dropped calls, and the topper was when I called CS to complain, the lady told me it was because there wasn't Sprint service in my city, when my area was clearly covered on the map, I had four bars of non-roaming signal, and there was a Sprint PCS store just a couple miles from my house. But, like I said, if they work for you, then you've found your carrier, and that's a good thing. For me, AT&T works best, so that's who I use.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Well, back at ya. My point is, just like cars. We all have the ones we like, the ones we hated with a passion, etc... Sprint no doubt is suffering from the same assumptions that has all but killed our big 3 automakers. I've seen Sprint at a good side and bad. I stuck with'em. If we changed carriers/providers rather it's crappy service, dropped calls or a better deal. Sometimes, we will over look a few pot holes when we hate the "other guy".
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to atmw

to atmw
you fail at txting