spc
uniqs

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

Gomez to skj

to skj

Re: [Serious] Oh, Gasoline, where art thou?

said by skj:

Yes, it is.
On the way home, ( Suwanee to N Dekalb on PIB, nothing available) WSB reported that Columbus day was all of the SE, but ATL should see increased supplies this week.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

said by Gomez:
said by skj:

Yes, it is.
On the way home, ( Suwanee to N Dekalb on PIB, nothing available) WSB reported that Columbus day was all of the SE, but ATL should see increased supplies this week.
I heard that too this afternoon. Hopefully, they are right.
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid to Gomez

MVM

to Gomez
said by Gomez:

said by skj:

Yes, it is.
move over to US23 (buford hwy)...I saw some at beaver ruin and the next intersection down this afternoon.
I also saw it at QT in alpharetta, but the mile was well over a mile long trying to get in and they were closing the pumps as we drove by.

If anyone uses twitter there is supposed to be a tag to search for to find where there is gas. #atlgas
»search.twitter.com/searc ··· 23atlgas
Claybraker
join:2002-04-13
none

Claybraker

This can't keep going on for another two weeks. It's already been going on for two weeks, although at first it was just one station here and there that would be out. A minor annoyance, but nothing serious.

Last week, seems the scale tipped and it was more like 50% of the stations would be out at any one time. Places that had gas had lines, but they weren't too bad.

This weekend, it dropped to about 10%. Today, the lines were pretty ugly just about anywhere in Alpharetta that had fuel.

Just keeps getting worse every day, and Sonny Hoover keeps saying "prosperity is just around the corner." Somehow, I have a hard time believing him.

Any prospects he might be talking to in Europe would be looking at this and have a hard time believing anything he says also. Time for him to come back and attend to business here at home.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez

said by Claybraker:

This can't keep going on for another two weeks. It's already been going on for two weeks, although at first it was just one station here and there that would be out. A minor annoyance, but nothing serious.

Last week, seems the scale tipped and it was more like 50% of the stations would be out at any one time. Places that had gas had lines, but they weren't too bad.

This weekend, it dropped to about 10%. Today, the lines were pretty ugly just about anywhere in Alpharetta that had fuel.

Just keeps getting worse every day, and Sonny Hoover keeps saying "prosperity is just around the corner." Somehow, I have a hard time believing him.

Any prospects he might be talking to in Europe would be looking at this and have a hard time believing anything he says also. Time for him to come back and attend to business here at home.
The problem is that few understand how distribution works in atlanta, so they are just giving wild ass guesses..

Atlanta gas 101:

Above is the terminal in Doraville. Just north of 285, between buford highway and PIB. As far as I know two pipelines ( 30" diameter) service this, on owned by Colonial Pipeline, one owned by Plantation Pipeline. (The Plantation site has maps of their pipes).This is all sourced at the refinery, and put into the system, and it's carrier independent, meaning it's not QT, or chevron with techrolean, until it reaches the terminal, and additives are added by the retailer.

The problem is that a refinery is a rather complex beast, and shutting one down, means about 7 days to bring it back up. Gustave shut many down, add cleanup, repair and it's close to a month before for full operation. The storage facility pictured above absorbed that.

Then came Ike, same shut down process and delays on restart, and dwindling reserves, then add some media frenzy, and we have what we have.

As I understand it, supplies are mostly back on-line, and we're just waiting for it get here, which is probably why WSB, said relief this week.. I suspect they have someone on staff that understands the system, and has talked to the right people.
Claybraker
join:2002-04-13
none

Claybraker

Availability seemed to be better today in Alpharetta. There were lines at the stations that were open, but there were more stations open, so the lines were shorter.

And the Mom 'n Pop up the street from me had gas for the first time in over a week.

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

Atlanta, GA

Gomez to skj

to skj
said by skj:
said by Gomez:
said by skj:

Yes, it is.
I heard that too this afternoon. Hopefully, they are right.
Heard yesterday and today that colonial is full capacity at the source on tuesday, and 10 days to get here..

That said, capacity has been increasing along between the start of all this and tuesday, thus the increased availability and lesser lines.

Finding regular should be fairly easy over the next few days, finding any grade, early next week.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

Although I still see many stations without gas, it seems that the lines of the ones that do have been shorter.

Most cars that "require" higher octane gas can run fine on regular, as the engine can adjust for the lower octane.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

Same here. I have seen shorter lines and more stations with gas. In saying that, I think I need to head to Blockbuster and pick up the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?"