Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

So....let me get this straight.

787 people polled.
81% said they don't like the idea of their speeds (or amount of data) capped and CHARGED OVERAGES? Gee, thats not a surprise. Ask anyone in a mall if they like to be charged for going over their minutes on their phone or being capped on their minutes and they will say they hate it. Same with their ISP. Want to take money out of my pocket? I am against it.

51% said they would try to change ISPs if their provider implemented caps. I find this figure surprising being as that 83% don't know what a gigabyte is. How do these people know if they are going over? Comcast gives everyone 250gb limit. Would someone who doesn't know what a gigabyte is and uses 10gb a month be offended because of the cap and try to move ISPs?

The only thing that this survey reinforces in my mind are the power users and techies that know about caps are against it. The common user has no idea how much they are using data wise, and is just interested in the bottom line price and they want no limit. Even if that limit is so much that they will never hit it. I have a friend who has Comcast and was furious about the 250gb cap. However, he only browses at home and gets email, and has no idea what a gigabyte is. I put a bandwidth meter on his PC for a week and he used a whopping 6gb. He might use 40gb in a month if he is lucky. After seeing this, he stopped complaining.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net
davidl

join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: So....let me get this straight.

It's not about what he uses right now with some ancient legacy protocols like email and web, it's about denying him access to try some future services like TV on the web, video phone/Voice Over IP, cloud computing and things like that.

The Telcos and Cablecos would rather keep us firmly planted in the 20th century like donkeys.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Nightfall:

The common user has no idea how much they are using data wise, and is just interested in the bottom line price and they want no limit. Even if that limit is so much that they will never hit it. I have a friend who has Comcast and was furious about the 250gb cap. However, he only browses at home and gets email, and has no idea what a gigabyte is. I put a bandwidth meter on his PC for a week and he used a whopping 6gb. He might use 40gb in a month if he is lucky. After seeing this, he stopped complaining.
Sure, but these same people will eventually start going to sites like Hulu and stream movies from netflix and other places. They have no clue that a HD download they get from Xbox Live or Apple is 6 GB. And if they have a crappy 40 GB cap like TW wants to put in they could EASILY go over that cap. Also your friend is one person. Multiply that 40 GB by 3 or 4 people in your average household.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by 88615298:

said by Nightfall:

The common user has no idea how much they are using data wise, and is just interested in the bottom line price and they want no limit. Even if that limit is so much that they will never hit it. I have a friend who has Comcast and was furious about the 250gb cap. However, he only browses at home and gets email, and has no idea what a gigabyte is. I put a bandwidth meter on his PC for a week and he used a whopping 6gb. He might use 40gb in a month if he is lucky. After seeing this, he stopped complaining.
Sure, but these same people will eventually start going to sites like Hulu and stream movies from netflix and other places. They have no clue that a HD download they get from Xbox Live or Apple is 6 GB. And if they have a crappy 40 GB cap like TW wants to put in they could EASILY go over that cap. Also your friend is one person. Multiply that 40 GB by 3 or 4 people in your average household.
I agree. Although that is not an apples to apples comparison. Just one instance in my experience. Obviously people not knowing what a gigabyte is will cause some billing problems especially if they are heavy downloaders and don't realize it.

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
said by 88615298:

Yes.

The 250GB cap was the catalyst that led me to search for broadband alternatives in my area and sign on with one with no caps. There are 3 people in my house, often times all three of us are on the internet at the same time doing our things. 250GB may be fine for one person, but it is way too skimpy for a family.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
LOL I found that hilarious as well. 81% of people would be outraged if their internet connection was capped, yet 83% of them dont even know what that means. This data is about as useful as a submarine with a screen door.

Qoiz

join:2005-06-26

that is simply because they have used their developed instincts that tell them a cap automatically means they will go over it and be screwed, thus them being mad about it even if they dont know what a gb is, they just assume 250gb is very small.
--
I have had Direcway/Hughes for years. I've had trouble with them some until the latest system DW7000. It is blazing fast 1 to 1.5 kbps down most of the time- Kath159
SilverSurfer1

join:2007-08-19

1 edit
said by Nightfall:

[...] The common user has no idea how much they are using data wise, and is just interested in the bottom line price and they want no limit.
[...]
You do make me chuckle - like the cable/telcos aren't using selective data to underscore what constitutes and who has BB vs. not or who is using how much. Everyone knows the providers aren't lying about anything when it comes to protecting and galvanizing their bottom lines. We should just trust every press release that comes out of their PR offices.