page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from hmm

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to battleop

to battleop

Re: hmm

Pffff...they also have 1/3 the population of North America and less than 1/3 of the GDP.

I'd pay $2,000/$3,000 up front for gigabit access to an internet connected network that's not interfered with by the telcos/cablecos and their ulterior motives of trying to charge me by the byte like minutes on a cell phone.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

They also have an urban population density of 12,500 people per square mile where we have 2,900 people per square mile.

In our current economy you try and sell your neighbors on spending $2-3k plus monthly recurring for a connection that they will not even use 10% of.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Yeah, until there's some 'gottahaveit' service developed...then there'll be a stampede.

Unfortunately, the 'gottahaveit' service won't get developed because the telcos/cablecos want us to keep watching their crappy TV.

And it's not like it has to be started from scratch...a lot of the infrastructure is already there.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by davidl:

Unfortunately, the 'gottahaveit' service won't get developed because the telcos/cablecos want us to keep watching their crappy TV.
And exactly what great video is developed FOR the internet that is better than that on "crappy TV"? Nothing I have seen(YouTube uploads by idiot slackers with time on their hands?). The video on the internet that people watch are the same shows that are on TV.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by FFH5:

said by davidl:

And exactly what great video is developed FOR the internet that is better than that on "crappy TV"? Nothing I have seen(YouTube uploads by idiot slackers with time on their hands?). The video on the internet that people watch are the same shows that are on TV.
Here's the deal, if everything I could watch on TV was on the internet then I could cancel my cable and save $60+ a month.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to FFH5

to FFH5
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Maybe some of us like the YouTube videos made by the slackers...they pose a different worldview other than that of the MainstreamMedia a.k.a. MSM

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:
said by FFH5:
said by davidl:

Here's the deal, if everything I could watch on TV was on the internet then I could cancel my cable and save $60+ a month.
That is a nice dream. But then the cost of internet access rises because someone has to pay to develop those shows. And if it isn't the cable companies TV arms, then the internet arms will pay for it. Maybe, if things work that way, you drop your TV bill from $60 to $0, but your internet bill will go up $40 or $50/mo.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

We don't have to pay for YouTube...it's called 'Advertising'
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

That is a nice dream. But then the cost of internet access rises because someone has to pay to develop those shows. And if it isn't the cable companies TV arms, then the internet arms will pay for it. Maybe, if things work that way, you drop your TV bill from $60 to $0, but your internet bill will go up $40 or $50/mo.
Please. That's like saying if I ditch cable for a rooftop antenna the cost of antennas will have to go up to compensate for the decreased revenues to the networks.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to FFH5

to FFH5
Yeah, but if your Telephone, Internet, TV all come through the one connection, it's still gonna save a bundle

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16 to 88615298

to 88615298
I hate to agree with TK, but if everyone did get rid of cable the networks would lose their main revenue stream.

But, the great thing is that that's the way business works. They can either adapt and find a new way to make money off of us, so they can keep making their crappy sitcoms and reality tv shows, or they can go out of business.

The tv shows that people actually like will get far more viewers now, instead of shows being shoved down our throat because they're on before/after the show we came to watch.
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

Desdinova to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Actually, web production is the new big trend with lots of production companies scrambling to create content to host on their own sites or distribute via various file sharing methods (specifically bit torrent). Product placement is paying the costs and companies are lining up to pay for placement in productions; yet another reason the ISP's are fighting to avoid becoming dumb pipes. I'm sure Comcast isn't happy supplying the pipeline for a thousand potential indie broadcasts that they (Comcast) won't see any profits on other than bandwidth-related.

Granted, the number of web productions is scant right now, but the with no restrictions or models for length or content (Disney has one such show that "airs" daily with each episode running only ninety seconds) and with high-end video gear cheaper and more readily available than ever before, the next year should prove VERY interesting for original entertainment content available exclusively online.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Maybe, if things work that way, you drop your TV bill from $60 to $0, but your internet bill will go up $40 or $50/mo.
Right! That's worth doing. The cable network is being shoehorned into a digital mode. It would be so much better if we designed the network for digital data from the ground up.

The cable companies don't need to marry themselves to cable. Every city, town, and village ought to be laying fiber and open the market to all ISPs that wants to serve it.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 recommendation

aaronwt to davidl

Premium Member

to davidl
said by davidl:

We don't have to pay for YouTube...it's called 'Advertising'
YouTube?! the quality is crap on YouTube.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Maybe it'd get better if it was served up on a Gbps connection?
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

SilverSurfer1 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

In our current economy you try and sell your neighbors on spending $2-3k plus monthly recurring for a connection that they will not even use 10% of.
LMAO - nice attempt at a specious argument there, but the Japanese aren't paying the Yen equivalent for their BB service.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
join:2003-07-30
Maineville, OH

wentlanc to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Boo hoo hoo... me and my profits... waaaaah...

What does that have to do with the fact that people don't like capped services? You just outlined the agenda. If users can get network access from someone other than cable, and programming shifts to the network because more and more television sucks, then the poor cable companies are going to lose profits. And you will lose your stock dividends. Cry me a river, and welcome to a real free market.

Just keep trying to squeeze your quarterly profits. Eventually the bubble will pop...

cw
thevorpal1
join:2007-11-16
Alexandria, VA

thevorpal1 to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

No. My TV bill is only there because I need cable to my house for my internet. That is the only reason it is there.

And I highly doubt the bill would have to go up. Why? Because those shows are already developed and paid for by advertising. ABC, NBC, CBS... all those shows are broadcast for free because they are paid for by advertising.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to james16

to james16
Also, they'll know exactly how many people are watching their shows and not have to rely on 'Neilson' ratings and other systems to demonstrate accurately to advertisers how much exposure their ads have gotten.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Please. That's like saying if I ditch cable for a rooftop antenna the cost of antennas will have to go up to compensate for the decreased revenues to the networks.
That's not an accurate analogy at all. A better comparison is replacing your cable TV feed with DVDs shipped through the USPS.

Every major Internet video option today is done using unicast IP. Every stream is unique per viewer, and bandwidth grows linearly with the number of viewers.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to Desdinova

to Desdinova
That's exactly what I want...a computer network that enables indie publishers of video content the same way web enables indie publishers of print.

I want to be able to run my own TV station in my living room

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo to thevorpal1

MVM

to thevorpal1
said by thevorpal1:

And I highly doubt the bill would have to go up. Why? Because those shows are already developed and paid for by advertising. ABC, NBC, CBS... all those shows are broadcast for free because they are paid for by advertising.
You don't have a $60 cable bill from over-the-air public broadcast networks -- you have that bill from the hundreds of other channels that are not completely subsidized by advertising and require non-public distribution.

If you replaced your public and private broadcast TV with unicast feeds over a network, the cost of delivery is higher. With cable you send one feed, and everybody attached to that segment of the cable plant can view the feed at the same time. The infrastructure utilization is the same whether 1 person or 500 people are watching the same channel. When you replace that with unicast IP feeds, every single viewer needs their own unique stream. So if your video feed is 3mbps, with 1 person you need to supply 3mbps of video server capacity, and for 500 people you need 1500mbps of video server capacity.

james16

james16 to davidl

to davidl
You could take it one step further, they could see if someone actually expressed interest in an ad and bought something.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

yeah, and also if you're a guy, it only shows you guy stuff so you don't need to see tampon and shampoo commercials

james16

james16

Yay! All the commercials I see will be big breasted women jumping up and down, saying the name of the product being sold!

Choco Party!
GOOD GOOD!
Choco Party!
GOOD GOOD!

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

I think we have a believer

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx to 88615298

to 88615298
Actually, you can. I watch every tv show I want, cancelled cable, and use OTA with an HD recorder. And for shows I don't get OTA, well, that's what torrents are for. Trust me, cutting $65.00 a month out of my budget is a BIG deal in these times.
karlmarx

karlmarx to thevorpal1

to thevorpal1
I've done the math. 2 Years ago, before I left, I was paying over $213.00/month for cell phone, cable tv, cable internet (6/768), and land line.
Since I got back, I ditched cable tv, cable internet, and land line, went to prepaid cell phone, and fios internet(30/30). My new monthly bill is less that $73.00/month

That's a savings of almost $1700.00/year. Not too shabby, and I STILL get everything I want.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
join:2003-07-30
Maineville, OH

wentlanc

And that is a fine example of "what the market will bear". If you can get everything for less money elsewhere, then the market prices are too high. See how the free market really works!

cw

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to davidl

Premium Member

to davidl
said by davidl:

I'd pay $2,000/$3,000 up front for gigabit access to an internet connected network that's not interfered with by the telcos/cablecos and their ulterior motives of trying to charge me by the byte like minutes on a cell phone.
Theres seedboxes that are that fast for waaaaay less money.
« So....let me get this straight.meh »
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from hmm