uniqs
« So....let me get this straight.meh »
This is a sub-selection from hmm

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: hmm

If there are no excuses when can we expect you to start offering 1Gbps service to the people of Rhode Island?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by battleop:

If there are no excuses when can we expect you to start offering 1Gbps service to the people of Rhode Island?
That's just stupid. The point is people say Japan can have 1 Gbps internet and we can't because Japan is much smaller and has more people per sq mile than the US. Well RI is even small and has more people per sq mile than Japan so where is the 1 Gbps or even 100 Mbps connections in RI?

besides the size of the US has nothing to do with nothing. What do you peole think there's one wire going form Maine to San Diego and one from Seattle to Miami and another form NY to LA? The vast majority of the US empty space and no one is suggesting spending money on providing broadband access to places where there isn't any people.

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Exactly...and how the hell can they make a long distance telephone call from Maine to San Diego now?...somebody must've got off his butt and ran a line down there
boast
join:2005-09-03
Miami, FL

boast

Well, there is one company for the backbone, and another company wiring the city. With a company trying to do it all in every city, we end up with what we have. When a city tries to do it themselves, the companies bitch-n-moan.

Of course the whole USA having 100mbps would be difficult, but why wouldn't major cities have it?

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

From what I gather, the biggest barrier to it is 'the last mile' of fibre to your house...it's there where the telcos and cablecos get you.
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

beaups to davidl

to davidl
your argument sucks. compare the population density in the individual areas in japan that are wired for 1gbps and compare it to the population density in RI
« So....let me get this straight.meh »
This is a sub-selection from hmm