This is a sub-selection from hmm
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: hmm

said by FFH5:

That is a nice dream. But then the cost of internet access rises because someone has to pay to develop those shows. And if it isn't the cable companies TV arms, then the internet arms will pay for it. Maybe, if things work that way, you drop your TV bill from $60 to $0, but your internet bill will go up $40 or $50/mo.
Please. That's like saying if I ditch cable for a rooftop antenna the cost of antennas will have to go up to compensate for the decreased revenues to the networks.

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

I hate to agree with TK, but if everyone did get rid of cable the networks would lose their main revenue stream.

But, the great thing is that that's the way business works. They can either adapt and find a new way to make money off of us, so they can keep making their crappy sitcoms and reality tv shows, or they can go out of business.

The tv shows that people actually like will get far more viewers now, instead of shows being shoved down our throat because they're on before/after the show we came to watch.

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Also, they'll know exactly how many people are watching their shows and not have to rely on 'Neilson' ratings and other systems to demonstrate accurately to advertisers how much exposure their ads have gotten.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Please. That's like saying if I ditch cable for a rooftop antenna the cost of antennas will have to go up to compensate for the decreased revenues to the networks.
That's not an accurate analogy at all. A better comparison is replacing your cable TV feed with DVDs shipped through the USPS.

Every major Internet video option today is done using unicast IP. Every stream is unique per viewer, and bandwidth grows linearly with the number of viewers.

james16

james16 to davidl

to davidl
You could take it one step further, they could see if someone actually expressed interest in an ad and bought something.

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

yeah, and also if you're a guy, it only shows you guy stuff so you don't need to see tampon and shampoo commercials

james16

james16

Yay! All the commercials I see will be big breasted women jumping up and down, saying the name of the product being sold!

Choco Party!
GOOD GOOD!
Choco Party!
GOOD GOOD!

davidl
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

I think we have a believer
« So....let me get this straight.meh »
This is a sub-selection from hmm