This is a sub-selection from hmm
thevorpal1
join:2007-11-16
Alexandria, VA

thevorpal1 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: hmm

said by FFH5:

That is a nice dream. But then the cost of internet access rises because someone has to pay to develop those shows. And if it isn't the cable companies TV arms, then the internet arms will pay for it. Maybe, if things work that way, you drop your TV bill from $60 to $0, but your internet bill will go up $40 or $50/mo.
No. My TV bill is only there because I need cable to my house for my internet. That is the only reason it is there.

And I highly doubt the bill would have to go up. Why? Because those shows are already developed and paid for by advertising. ABC, NBC, CBS... all those shows are broadcast for free because they are paid for by advertising.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

said by thevorpal1:

And I highly doubt the bill would have to go up. Why? Because those shows are already developed and paid for by advertising. ABC, NBC, CBS... all those shows are broadcast for free because they are paid for by advertising.
You don't have a $60 cable bill from over-the-air public broadcast networks -- you have that bill from the hundreds of other channels that are not completely subsidized by advertising and require non-public distribution.

If you replaced your public and private broadcast TV with unicast feeds over a network, the cost of delivery is higher. With cable you send one feed, and everybody attached to that segment of the cable plant can view the feed at the same time. The infrastructure utilization is the same whether 1 person or 500 people are watching the same channel. When you replace that with unicast IP feeds, every single viewer needs their own unique stream. So if your video feed is 3mbps, with 1 person you need to supply 3mbps of video server capacity, and for 500 people you need 1500mbps of video server capacity.

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx to thevorpal1

to thevorpal1
I've done the math. 2 Years ago, before I left, I was paying over $213.00/month for cell phone, cable tv, cable internet (6/768), and land line.
Since I got back, I ditched cable tv, cable internet, and land line, went to prepaid cell phone, and fios internet(30/30). My new monthly bill is less that $73.00/month

That's a savings of almost $1700.00/year. Not too shabby, and I STILL get everything I want.
wentlanc
You Can't Fix Dumb..
join:2003-07-30
Maineville, OH

wentlanc

And that is a fine example of "what the market will bear". If you can get everything for less money elsewhere, then the market prices are too high. See how the free market really works!

cw
« So....let me get this straight.meh »
This is a sub-selection from hmm