spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zeusters

join:2008-09-30
Louisville, KY

[Modem] VPI/VCI 0/35 working should it be 8/35?

I just bought a locally used ATT 2wire modem/wireless router. I reset and everything works and connects fine. I noticed that the VPI setting is 0 and VCI 35 From what I have read (and from my old modem I think) the VPI/VCI should be 8/35. I could just try it changed but if it's working I don't want to mess it up. Would it be better to change? Thanks

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Is it possible that it doesn't matter what it is set to if it autodetects the correct setting?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to zeusters
said by zeusters:

From what I have read (and from my old modem I think) the VPI/VCI should be 8/35. I could just try it changed but if it's working I don't want to mess it up. Would it be better to change? Thanks
The 2wire uses a pvc search list and 8/35 is on the list.
You will not mess it up by changing it to 8/35

Can you post the software version of the 2wire and the first four digits of the serial number?

zeusters

Louisville, KY
Thanks, I changed it and everything still works fine.
Software: 5.29.109.5
Serial: 2807

Also, it defaults to Bridged LLC. Is that better than Bridged VC-Mux? Or Routed?

I appreciate the help.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by zeusters:

Also, it defaults to Bridged LLC. Is that better than Bridged VC-Mux? Or Routed?
If you change the encapsulation from LLC to VC-Mux, it will likely stop working.

Routed could mean more than one thing, but if it there to set up RFC1483 routed service, that will not work.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to zeusters
I think bellsouth uses vc-mux with PPPoA, someone else will need to confirm or deny that info or you could check it out yourself.

I think the software version is a bellsouth version.
Its odd that a bellsouth version has the wrong vpi/vci
The serial number... first two digits are the week the next pair is the year of manufacture.

Did you notice if the 2wire had a default username and password when you did the factory reset?

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
Don't know about vc-mux but the SE frowns upon PPPoA now and by default uses PPPoE though PPPoA might still work in some areas.

zeusters

Louisville, KY

1 edit
reply to wayjac
said by wayjac:

Did you notice if the 2wire had a default username and password when you did the factory reset?
After a couple of times clicking I need help with my password I was prompted to look for a 10 digit number under the serial no. It took that as the password. The LLC works but which is better Bridged LLC or Router LLC

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Looks like I'm wrong about the software version the bellsouth versions started with 5.29.109.11
That explains the vpi/vci

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to zeusters
It's not about which is better, it's about what works and what doesn't.

bogey7806

Here
reply to zeusters
After a couple of times clicking I need help with my password I was prompted to look for a 10 digit number under the serial no. It took that as the password.
That's the Default WEP key for wireless.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to zeusters
The isp controls which ATM Encapsulation method they use.
My isp uses Bridged LLC if I switch to a different method I won't get a connection.

bogey7806

Here
reply to graysonf
yea...it's like asking if 999 or 911 is better.

zeusters

Louisville, KY
I was thinking it was like setting my old modem to bridge mode. Guess not.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Here's a link for putting the 2wire in bridge mode
Bridge Mode for the 2Wire 2701HG-B

bmeeks8

join:2001-07-23
Vidalia, GA
reply to bogey7806
PPPoA still working for me in Georgia. I do understand from posts here and elsewhere that it may eventually stop working. I use PPPoA because with it you can use the default 1500 MTU without worries about changing it everywhere to the 1492 required for PPPoE.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Do you know the type of encapsulation used with the PPPoA

mmoon6

join:2005-12-03
Marietta, GA
reply to zeusters
My AT&T setup is using the 2Wire 2701HG-S and is defaulted by AT&T to PPOE bridged at 0/35. AT&T setup put this in initially. Marietta/Atlanta area...

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
You should have a look at the detailed log there are messages in the log which show the vpi/vci that is being used below is a example

found BRDG_LLC PPPoE on 8/35
preferred pvc 0/35 not found. Using 8/35

The "preferred pvc" is what is in the ATM circuit identifier" boxes on the config page