MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to fiberguy2

MVM

to fiberguy2

Re: Well

said by fiberguy2:

The internet.. honestly, when was it EVER defined as completely 100% wide open access to anything and to use it in anyway you want? So far, I don't think that it has.
This is a technical industry, and these "terms" have been abused by the players in this industry to trick customers into buying products that are less and different then are described. Are you seriously going to come to me and tell me that companies ought to be able to sell donkeys as race-cars?

I, more than anyone here, have read TOSs and AUPs, and Privacy Policies -- from top to bottom. I did it in the Comcast case, I did it in the NebuAd case -- probably more than 50 different companies both in the USA and abroad. GET BENT with telling me that I should "read my TOS!"
said by fiberguy2:

The definition you seek in which you want to define the internet is in the user agreement and you should read it in its entirety. Since its available online to all users and non-users alike, there is no excuse. I don't think many people here claim to be lawyers either, INCLUDING Karl. However, its odd that so many people claim that language is too hard to understand and its vague, etc. yet, numerous threads have be posted explaining that very 'hard to understand' language that only lawyers can read. Hmmm, maybe there are more lawyers here than we think.. or, maybe it's not too hard to understand and people are either being lazy, or practicing victimization.
So what's your argument? You start by saying everyone should read that document, but don't try to interpret it unless we're lawyers, but those that don't try to read it are lazy victims.

You should write TOS documents for a living!
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

First off, you can "get bent" with your entire notion..

You, "more than anyone here, have read TOSs and AUPs, and Privacy Policies -- from top to bottom." Yea.. that's not self serving. I guess since I read EVERY piece of paper I am being held to PRIOR to being bound by it, guess you must read it, roll around on it naked, eat it and do other un-mentionables to it as well, huh?

And, while the back end of the "industry" may be "technical" .. the consumer side of it is NOT. You act like some sort of elitist in your approach to the internet. Ask an average person what "transfer" is and they'll likely tell you it's something you use to get from one bus to another, or something like that.

If you knew ANYTHING about terms and how they are used, you'd know that 1) the average person is ignorant to much of their own world and have to be talked to in simplified terms. 2) Advertisements are NOT agreements. GOD oh GOD get that one straight and stop mucking things up to serve your own self centered interests.

I still have YET to see an AUP that is written in suck legaleze that the average person can't understand it. If you can't "get" the TOS / AUP agreements, then you really need to reapt the 5th grade - and fast.

What I said was pretty clear... read the agreement. Don't EVEN try to argue with me on this point as I bet with in 5 minutes of searching this very site, I can find at least a dozen people that claim they won't even bother to read the TOS in the first place.

... funny, isn't it?

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

First you accuse me of not reading my TOS (when you knew damn well that I likely had read it) and then you call me "self-serving" for pointing that out.

I'm glad you think that advertisements are meaningless and the customer should just shut up and live with whatever "they" want to graciously give us.

You're a model of your industry.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

"my industry"...? Wow! I need to go look in my bank account again and see how much money I have so I can go roll around in it naked. Thanks for reminding me. Seriously, the last time I was involved in these childish "sides" games, I was also learning ABCs and 123s.. IOW, save that game for the children.

Now, where did I accuse you of "not reading" the TOS? If I recall, from just re-reading my own post, AND YOURS, was that after you claimed the industry abuses terms to "trick" an industry.. that argument has been used clearly born from advertisements, NOT the TOS. The TOS statements, if you OR ANYONE, can't understand them, are clearly playing ignorant or selectively choosing not to understand them; who's fault is that?

I love how you follow up my posts and try to twist my words and change the meaning of what I clearly said. Sounds just like what you're claiming the 'Industry' does.. shame on you.

When you sit there and use (quoted) words like "they" and "graciously give us" it comes back like you have some sort of entitlement. The providers are NOT the government that you mistake them for. These are businesses that have a right to offer their services for what they are. Your right to pick it apart is at the TOS that you say you read so clearly and if you ARE reading them, you'd not be here bitching and moaning about it.

The TOS is not written in the so called 'legal-eez'.. the very items people come here, wasting their lives daily, bitching about are pretty clearly written. I'm glad the main cheer leader, Karl, makes you believe it's hard to understand. If this is the case, some people need to find a new cheer-leader because he's failing you just like so many politicians fail their people.

Finally, I don't think advertisements are meaningless.. however, there IS a problem with the customer using them as "agreements" and further, reading into them much farther than intended. I mean, seriously, around here, people have picked apart Time Warner Cable for using the line "the power of you".. WTF? People are worried if TWC uses the word "fiber" in their ad even though its fiber driven. Why does that same crowd defend providers like Qwest for calling their phone service "digital" because of equipment in the CO even though 1,800 feet of cable transmission is still analog to the home where most of the degradation happens?

Many people HERE are self serving and are selectively choosing to pick their battles. Quite frankly, it simply shows the mentality of many in this country, and its sickening.

Advertisements are just that.. they get you interested in the product. While I do not condone false advertising and SOME merchants out there step on that line, many of the ads being picked apart here by some of you so-called freedom fighters are anything but false. It's those who put some notion that an ad is a user-agreement that get me. It's the very same crowd that admits there IS a TOS agreement and then discloses that they don't read them for a reason that isn't even valid. Besides, if you feel you need an attorney to read or decipher one, then by all means, HIRE ONE! It's your right, and no one is stopping you.. it's surely no excuse not to at least read one.

Now, to put THIS argument to rest, instead of baseless claims, PLEASE by all means, go grab your comcast or favorite hated companies TOS agreement, post it in its entirety and BY ALL MEANS, state exactly what is in the thing that you can't understand and why.. until then, its all baseless blabber.

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

The definition you seek in which you want to define the internet is in the user agreement and you should read it in its entirety.
The last part of this is what set me off. You and I can disagree on the first part, but -- c'mon -- I'm not the lazy, uninformed person you lumped me in with.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I also often use the word "you" as in "some may" etc.

However, when I made that comment, I was referring to the difference between people who use an advertisement as their TOS agreement.

From accounts I read here all the time, I think people are smarter than they play on this site. Rather, they chose to play ignorant at times in order to attempt to establish a point.

Do I think you're stupid? By all means, no. I read and follow your posts much more than many others. We may not always agree on everything; believe it or not, I agree with you more times than not, however, I just do believe that some people's 'wants' here skew the reality of what's behind getting to them.

As I was basically saying is that we all know that an ad is just an ad. (Yes, there is a line that can be crossed) however, people still hold on to the "unlimited access" term which went away years ago.. and people are picking at the "up-to" term a lot, too. (which is explained in the TOS, and as I said, SOME (excuse me) people chose not to read, and even admit it)

-peace

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

peace and thanks.
« Don't like it....?
This is a sub-selection from Well