uniqs
share rss forum feed

proefain
Premium
join:2000-05-08
Crofton, MD

Coverage

not my location
I was under the assumption that 1 WiMAX tower would cover a bigger footprint than the coverage map shows. The screenshot I attached shows a coverage area less than 1/2 a mile. Also how is the map different for modem and mobile coverage? I've got an order in for a modem but I'm not sure if it will work in my location.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
said by proefain:

Also how is the map different for modem and mobile coverage?
'Modem coverage' means the coverage if you are fixed with a good antenna (such as what is included in the current fixed modem being sold. 'Mobile coverage' means if you are using a laptop card that doesn't have as strong of an antenna.

jasher

join:2006-09-15
New Orleans, LA
reply to proefain
Wikipedia says you can get long distances or fast speeds, but not at the same time...

"Limitations
A commonly-held misconception is that WiMAX will deliver 70 Mbit/s over 31 miles/50 kilometers. In reality, WiMAX can do one or the other — operating over maximum range (31 miles/50 km) increases bit error rate and thus must use a lower bitrate. Lowering the range allows a device to operate at higher bitrates."

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

Unlimited? Sort of.
Gigaom points to verbage on the Xohm site that says it's not how much bandwidth you use, but how you use it...

"To ensure a high-quality experience for its entire subscriber base, XOHM may use various tools and techniques designed to limit the bandwidth available for certain bandwidth intensive applications or protocols, such as file sharing."

»gizmodo.com/5056447/sprints-xohm ··· nloaders

And what, 2 years before this is available nationwide anyway.

wimaxr

@spcsdns.net
reply to proefain
Yeah, it's really disappointing that WiMAX isn't getting several miles of coverage per site. Are those very hilly areas?

proefain
Premium
join:2000-05-08
Crofton, MD
said by wimaxr :

Yeah, it's really disappointing that WiMAX isn't getting several miles of coverage per site. Are those very hilly areas?
I'd say the area has a slight grade bit not too bad.

»maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ··· t=h&z=16

This should be centered on the tower I'd assume its broadcasting from.

With a tower like that I would have thought you could put a wireless G AP up there and got better coverage.

SD6

join:2005-03-26
If the map is based on actual measurements, you can sometimes get anomalous results due to reflections, power lines, etc. A small stand-alone circle area probably does not have a tower in it.

XOHMGUY

@comcast.net
reply to xenophon
The coverage locator is showing less then what actually is available.. We want to be modest with a new launch..