San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to willp1

Re: I like this

said by willp1:

They do not have the right to police themselves. They provide a service they are not police.
I used to run the night shift of a convenience store. We provided a "service". Does that mean I did not have the right to eject a certain person? Acting very suspicious in the vicinity of my liquor display.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

heliox
Not at the table Carlos.
Premium
join:2000-11-28
Corona, CA
If you suspected or caught me doing something to harm your store - yes.

Your analogy is so flawed, it's laughable.

If you saw me buying a screw driver, rope and tape, and thought I was going to go rob someone - absolutely not.

YOU ARE NOT THE POLICE.
--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

I used to run the night shift of a convenience store. We provided a "service". Does that mean I did not have the right to eject a certain person? Acting very suspicious in the vicinity of my liquor display.
Been there, done that.

Sad thing is, if you do throw someone out, they call Corporate and complain (and lie their asses off) and you find out OH, you didn't have the right to do jack squat

You're responsible for the inventory loss, but you're also not allowed to "inconvenience" a thief. Gotta love suits.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to heliox
said by heliox:

If you suspected or caught me doing something to harm your store - yes.

Your analogy is so flawed, it's laughable.
It is not an "analogy", it is a fact of law. And I did order a suspicious fellow out of my store. (Twice, actually; once under the circumstances I outlined, and once for making threats to a women who came onto the premises in a distraught state. Had to call 9-1-1 in the last case).
If you saw me buying a screw driver, rope and tape, and thought I was going to go rob someone - absolutely not.
If I had solid reason to believe that selling you certain merchandise would facilitate a crime, I certainly could refuse to make the sale. I have refused to sell certain merchandise to certain individuals; and not been reprimanded for it.
YOU ARE NOT THE POLICE.
So what. Do an Internet search on "citizen's arrest".
--
Norman

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

said by NormanS:

Been there, done that.
As have I. However, I had the support of my "suits" in my case.
--
Norman