dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Bamanana52
join:2005-04-12
Muscle Shoals, AL

Bamanana52

[AT&T] Upgrade phone deal with Amazon.com??

I have an individual user Premier Account with ATT. Does anyone know if I can get the discounted phone deals at Amazon.com if I have a Premier account? Does it have to be upgraded thru ATT only? Someone told me that I would not be able to upgrade thru dealers like Walmart, Radio Shack,Amazon with the premier account. I am eligible for upgrade discount (more than 20 months into my current contract).

It may be worth removing my 15% premier discount in order to get a $250 discount on the Motorola Z9 that Amazon has. I don't want to order from Amazon and then find out that I was not eligible and have the $250 charged to my credit card.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Ask your question here.

»www.howardforums.com/for ··· php?f=50

Your bound to get a response much quicker than here.

pepe32846121
@comcast.net

pepe32846121 to Bamanana52

Anon

to Bamanana52

Premier or no premiere doesn't affect this

FWIW, I also have a FAN # (via my employer) associated with my personal ATT account (FWIW, a family plan). The terms of the equipment discounts are different if you upgrade via the Premiere web site or via Amazon. Also, they both have different pricing, depending on which handset. Anyway, having a premiere account (FAN #) doesn't mean you have to always upgrade via ATT. Your 15% discount on monthly service won't be removed either by upgrading via Amazon. Just be careful and read the fine print regarding the various ways you can be charged the $250.

-Pedro

Bamanana52
join:2005-04-12
Muscle Shoals, AL

Bamanana52

Thanks for your info. I have gotten so many different answers it has been hard for me to decide to take a chance with Amazon.com. I have had past bad experience with ATT CSR telling me one thing and then it turned out to be incorrect and it created huge headache in that situation. I loved my Cingular service, but not so happy with ATT Customer Service. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to getting the new RAZR2 V9.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium Member
join:1999-12-06
Raleigh, NC

scots to Bamanana52

Premium Member

to Bamanana52

Re: [AT&T] Upgrade phone deal with Amazon.com??

You should always be VERY careful about upgrading through any 3rd party rather than directly through AT&T. If you do decide to go through with upgrading via a 3rd party, make sure you read EVERYTHING before you "sign on the dotted line." In most cases you end up with TWO Terms of Service (TOS) that you have to abide by (one from AT&T and one from the 3rd party). This also usually puts you under two Early Termination Fees (ETF) should you need to cancel the contract early for some reason (one from AT&T and one from the 3rd party). Any rebates from the 3rd party which may make the deal seem better are usually extremely difficult to get. If you don't follow the rebate rules exactly to the letter, they'll find any little thing they can to deny the rebate. I don't know how Amazon is, but there are some other third party cell phone dealers who are notorious for these kinds of things.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by scots:

You should always be VERY careful about upgrading through any 3rd party rather than directly through AT&T. If you do decide to go through with upgrading via a 3rd party, make sure you read EVERYTHING before you "sign on the dotted line." In most cases you end up with TWO Terms of Service (TOS) that you have to abide by (one from AT&T and one from the 3rd party). This also usually puts you under two Early Termination Fees (ETF) should you need to cancel the contract early for some reason (one from AT&T and one from the 3rd party). Any rebates from the 3rd party which may make the deal seem better are usually extremely difficult to get. If you don't follow the rebate rules exactly to the letter, they'll find any little thing they can to deny the rebate. I don't know how Amazon is, but there are some other third party cell phone dealers who are notorious for these kinds of things.
Listen to this advice you can get screwed due to the back end clauses on everything.

Go with Premier deals they are better overall.
latichever
join:2000-06-09
New Haven, CT

latichever

I'm a regular ATT subscriber and I called Amazon about upgrades. The guy said that they do only new accounts, not upgrades.

I can second the advantages of going directly with ATT. I am currently month to month--out of contract. If I upgrade with ATT, I have thirty days to either exchange the phone or to return to the phone. If I return the phone, I would revert back to month to month, out of contract. I asked bestbuy about this and they told me if I bought a phone from them--only $20 cheaper for the phone I wanted--and I returned it I wouldn't be able to revert to month to month. I would have to get a new contract and plan.

pepe329651
@comcast.net

pepe329651

Anon

FWIW, I just went to amazon.com to see if this is true. I was actually able to choose 'New Contract' or 'Contract Extension (existing customer)'. I'd double check if I were you. Sometimes their phone reps don't have all the correct info, much like ATT

Traxless
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
USA

Traxless to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
That's sure is an annoying site with frequent pop-ups regarding site usage. Left it after a few minutes. I mean, what's the point?
latichever
join:2000-06-09
New Haven, CT

latichever to pepe329651

to pepe329651
said by pepe329651 :

FWIW, I just went to amazon.com to see if this is true. I was actually able to choose 'New Contract' or 'Contract Extension (existing customer)'. I'd double check if I were you. Sometimes their phone reps don't have all the correct info, much like ATT
May I revise and extend my remarks?

I failed to mention that I want to upgrade my Family Plan, and the "existing customer" link has this restriction:

4. You are not attempting to upgrade a family plan. Amazon.com cannot provide extensions on family plans.

Also, you are correct about people not knowing about the wares they sell. I asked a sales rep in an ATT corporate store, and he said that if I did return a phone to a Best Buy I would revert back to my month-to-month status.
Expand your moderator at work