uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Play .avi file on TV's DVD player?

I have a normal TV and a DVD player is attached to it.

If I have a .avi file on my computer, what do I need to do to burn it on a DVD (I have a DVD burner) that will play on the DVD player connected to my TV?

I have Nero 8, but not sure if that's the right software. Ideas? Thanks.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
If it is an AVI file with no DRM (meaning it has no proprietary "locks" preventing copying or modifying), then Nero 8 should be able to convert this to standard DVD format and then burn it to a DVD.

If you don't mind shelling out a few bucks (as little as $35), you can purchase a DVD player that will play standard AVI files (encoded with XVid or DiVX) without doing ANY conversion, just burn the AVI to a blank disc as data. My Philips DVD player even has a USB port where I can pop in a USB Flash drive or external hard drive with AVI files on them and play right from there, don't even have to burn a data disc. Couldn't be simpler.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fartness
If your version of Nero has NeroVision, that should convert an .avi file to a DVD. I used to use it. Another program that does a good job of this would be VSO ConvertXtoDVD.

I currently do what fuziwuzi does. I picked up a Philips DVP-5990. I copy the file to a USB drive and plug it into the front of the player and watch. I bought it refurbished from here: »www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redes ··· p=OUTLET
--
I got a lover and yeah she shows me how, to understand, yeah to understand
I got a brother and well he shows me how, to make amends, yeah to make amends with it
"Meatplow" - Stone Temple Pilots

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

My Philips DVD player even has a USB port where I can pop in a USB Flash drive or external hard drive with AVI files on them and play right from there, don't even have to burn a data disc.
What model is that? is it sold in RETAIL STORES?
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
»www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ··· 95403415

»www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ··· 10050628

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to dvd536
I have the Philips DVP-5982, I bought it on Amazon.com but it or it's newer replacement should be found in many retail stores.

My only issue with playing AVIs through the USB port is that very detailed scenes can cause some audio stuttering. With that in mind, any movies that I know have a lot of detail and fast action, I burn as a data disc instead of playing through the USB port.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by fuziwuzi:

My only issue with playing AVIs through the USB port is that very detailed scenes can cause some audio stuttering.
Do burned avi's to disc have this issue? if so that would be totally unacceptable.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
said by dvd536:

said by fuziwuzi:

My only issue with playing AVIs through the USB port is that very detailed scenes can cause some audio stuttering.
Do burned avi's to disc have this issue? if so that would be totally unacceptable.
No, I can burn the avi to a dvd/rw and it does not have that issue at all. My guess is the data throughput for the USB port is far less than the throughput of the disc reader.

For tv shows and many movies, the USB works great, it is only the highly detailed/fast action stuff that I have seen this, so now I just automatically burn those to a dvd/rw to watch.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
reply to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

My only issue with playing AVIs through the USB port is that very detailed scenes can cause some audio stuttering. With that in mind, any movies that I know have a lot of detail and fast action, I burn as a data disc instead of playing through the USB port.
You need a faster flash drive, it's not keeping up with the bandwidth needed by the video.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
After Nero Vision converts the .avi file (takes almost two hours), my burner will only burn the DVD at 2x using Nero... it's a 20x burner though. Ideas?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
What brand of Media are you using? What brand of burner?
Some brands of media don't play nice with some burners. You could check the Burner's website for firmware updates, that can sometimes help.
You could also cross-check media and burner compatibility on »www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
TDK DVD-R

I think it's a Liteon 20x burner.

Looks like Nero only allows 2x... I go to DVD video on Nero. Should I be burning it as a data file?

What's better, DVD-R or DVD+R for having the DVD's play on a DVD player hooked to my TV or one of those portable DVD players that is small and looks like a laptop since it has a screen to view the movie on?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Burn it as a DVD-Video.

If it's fairy new DVD Media (8x, 16x) the problem is probably with the DVD-Burner. Check the Lite-On website for firmware updates for your burner.

Some people use -R, some +R. I personally use DVD+R and Bitset to DVD-ROM with Nero or DVD-Decrypter.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Click for full size
I'll try that. How do I update the firmware?

Also, it looks like my program doesn't even allow me to change the speed.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
Ok, I updated that and it solved the problem.

Another question, why is Nero Vision making no AUDIO TS folder? Isn't that needed?

When I play the DVD, it has audio for the first few minutes, then none. Others the audio is very low. The avi file plays fine on my computer. Ideas?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
The AUDIO_TS folder shouldn't be needed on newer DVD Players, but my version of Nero (6.6) adds it by default. It's usually empty anyway.
If you play the DVD on your computer, does it have audio? Not the burned disc, but the VOB files themselves.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to fartness
This plays almost everything!

Philips DVP5992 1080p HDMI Upscaling DVD Player with USB 2.0 and DivX Ultra

»www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5992-1 ··· 01AXBGZO

jmikeh
Premium
join:2001-07-15
Tulsa, OK
said by gate1975mlm:

Whole-heartedly agree. Will also play some .WMV files. Can also play vob's from a usb stick.

It's a great player.
--
"- ..- -. -.. .."

ironwalker
World Renowned
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ
said by jmikeh:

said by gate1975mlm:

Whole-heartedly agree. Will also play some .WMV files. Can also play vob's from a usb stick.

It's a great player.
I'll second that!
Even has 3rd party firmware options.
I grabbed the refurbished one on amazon for $42
Love it.